“"A Tiny Victorian Gem"”

Ranked #1 of 4 Escondido B&B and Inns
Aliso Viejo, California
“"A Tiny Victorian Gem"”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband and I were looking for a place to stay in Northern San Diego County and found a real gem. This is a small beautifully decorated historic home from 1888. The grounds are perfectly
landscaped and there is even a hot tub. Suzy and Don are the nicest inn keepers and make a fantastic breakfast.Friday nights there is an amazing classic car show called "Cruisin Grand" it was so fun. Also on Friday Nights Palomar City College's Planetarium has two great shows.

Room Tip: If you have children there is a separate guest cottage on the property with a full kitchen and lots...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I was fortunate enough to get a gap in their reservation book to get an accommodation.
I wish I can keep this place for myself...but need to share..
The hosts are awesome. They were very much gracious in sharing their place with us. I felt very much at home...thank you.
Absolutely appreciated the decor of the place. It was like stepping back in time.
Don't want to gush about the place anymore....may not be able to find an accommodation in the future. We had an early day so had to leave before the breakfast... I will make sure and stay for breakfast next time...
If looking for a special place, hidden away, convenient distance from San Diego, this is THE place for you. I forget the room but it had a private porch. It is special

Room Tip: Plan well in advance. Ask the host about hidden attractions around Escondido
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Don M, Owner at Regina del Palazzo, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you for visiting with us, I am sorry you had to leave so early with an unexpected call back to work, I hope you will come again and be able to stay and have one of our wonderful breakfasts, we look forward to giving you the very best of our Bed and Breakfast experience.
Pendleton, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My wife, our two-month-old baby and me recently had a wonderful stay at Regina del Palazzo. We only stayed one night, for our first anniversary, and definitely we will come back there whenever we have to stay in the area. Suzanne and Don were great hosts: we arrived late, something like at 10 pm, and I didn't have any dinner; well, as soon as Suzanne knew she prepared me a very delicious omelette that together with some other things left my stomach very happy to go to bed. They are super friendly, very nice. The B&B is beautiful, with awesome antiques everywhere, beautiful pieces of furniture. We stayed at the Black and Gold room: not a huge room but definitely enough for two and a baby. Actually, they even let us use the new crib they had bought for their coming grandchild. The two rooms are adjacent one to each other but we didn't hear the other guests and they didn't hear our baby either. Then, in the morning, we also had an excellent breakfast and very good time with our hosts and the other guests. They took pictures for us at the beautiful porch and showed us all they want to do to make the B&B even nicer. We had an excellent stay at Suzanne and Don's place. At the end Don even got emotional when we were leaving.... they are such nice people! The location was perfect too: around 30 min from San Diego. Escondido (and specially that neighborhood) is a beautiful hidden place.

Room Tip: The cottage (for longer stays) must be comfortable. The black and gold room was fine for us, it has...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My fiance and I had a very nice stay here. Suzy and Don were great hosts. It is expensive to stay anywhere in California, so in my eyes, this place was a steal. The breakfasts were always outstanding and would probably cost $25 a person at most restaurants. They were very accommodating and always asked us what we would like. French toast, eggs, bacon, sausage, omelets, fruit, muffins, and more. The location was great for us. Just a few minutes from the Safari Park, and about 20 minutes to Temecula for amazing wine tasting. The Harrahs Casino is close by as well. About 25 minutes to the downtown Balboa park area. Suzy made us strawberry shortcake to have with a bottle of wine at night on the front porch. Just an overall great experience. Of note: the house is shared by the owners who stay in the back, and there are two rooms currently for guests in the front. The two rooms are side by side, which worried us a little, because we are night owls and stay up late. We also shared the bathroom with the other guests. It wasn't a problem for us, but I can see how it might bother some people. Perhaps, one day they could flip flop the living room and the front bedroom. Just a thought! Overall, it was a great experience, and we would stay there again in the future. :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paulbucks1983
Pasadena
Reviewed 7 June 2013

The owners, Don and Suzy, are incredibly thoughtful hosts and have many entertaining stories to share. The B&B is a fabulously restored 1888 Victorian cottage, and the side porch is perfect for reading in the afternoon. The B&B is impeccably clean, and also conveniently located near I-15 and light rail. Breakfast was delish!! My husband and I enjoyed our stay so much, we changed plans for my upcoming birthday and will be spending the weekend here.

Room Tip: There are two rooms to rent and a cottage. The rooms have window A/C units, and the owners will be i...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We live in San Diego, but we ran a half marathon in Escondido over Memorial Day weekend, and wanted to stay in Escondido. I have never stayed in a B&B before, and it didn't even occur to me to look for one. I was finding hotels in Escondido like the Quality Inn and the Super 8. Not places I would prefer to stay. Shabby hotels with horrible ratings and reviews. Then I somehow stumbled on this gem. I waited till the day before the race to book this, and thought they would be booked, but we lucked out. We stayed in the cottage which is a one bedroom unit with a full kitchen and living room. It was the most wonderful experience. The couple that hosted us was incredible. We jumped in the jacuzzi after we got there and they made us breakfast the next morning after we returned from our race.
We had the best time. I would recommend the Regina del Palazzo to anybody without reservation. It was truly incredible.

Room Tip: The cottage is amazing.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Cathedral City, CA
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Planning a trip to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park in Escondido and wanting to avoid the big brand name hotel/motel chains, we found this little gem on-line and consider ourselves very fortunate. Occupying a well-restored and beautifully furnished 1888 house high on a hill and with lovely views overlooking the city, new owners Suzy and Don Maxwell are gracious hosts. Complementary appetizers and beverages in the late afternoon and a sumptuous "order whatever you like" breakfast were highlights, along with a brand-new top-of-the line hot tub in which we enjoyed my wife's birthday bottle of champagne after dinner.

Guest accommodations consist of a cottage at the rear of the property (which at the time of our visit was rented out on a longer-term basis) and two first-floor bedrooms in the main house only one of which is rented at a time until a second bath is added. So pick one of those two rooms and along with it the living room, front porch and dining room are all yours too. We chose the Black and Gold room because it's slightly larger and the front porch connects to it - well worth the extra $20. There's also a beautiful and sunny and patio and garden alongside and in back of the house that make for fine sitting, reading and conversation.

All in all this is a memorable place to visit when in or near Escondido.

Room Tip: Pick the front Black and Gold bedroom.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blueskiff
Don M, Owner at Regina del Palazzo, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Thank you to our wonderful guests for this marvelous review. It was our sincere pleasure to be your hosts. If all our guests are as fun, kind and thoughtful as you, our business will be a soaring success. Please come see us again. it was a joy having you at Regina del Palazzo, Escondido's historic Bed and Breakfast. The new kitchen will be going in soon and we're going to have more fun creating new breakfast delights. Warm wishes always, from Suzy and Don.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Escondido Downtown
#9 of 16 in Escondido
Motel Mediteran
Motel Mediteran
#3 of 16 in Escondido

Been to Regina del Palazzo? Share your experiences!