“Awesome Mexican. Awesome People.”
Review of Cenote Grill

Cenote Grill
Ranked #3 of 342 Restaurants in Escondido
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Awesome Mexican. Awesome People.”
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

This place is well worth a stop. Like mentioned in other reviews, GPS will probably miss this place. Mine was off by 8 blocks. This place is located in a strip mall with a 7-11.

The food was awesome. The menu has a lot of different choices that other Mexican restaurants do not offer. I ordered a cup of Cream of Poblano soup and a cheese steak burrito. My wife ordered the "Any 3 Sopas" and ordered one of each type. They forgot my soup when they brought the main entree. They then brought me a complimentary cup of the soup and it was awesome. It has a little heat, but it is a must try. The Cheese steak burrito was awesome and if you order the 3 Sopas, plan on bringing some left-overs home. It is a lot of food.

Overall, this restaurant and the people that work here are wonderful. If you want something different rather than the standard Mexican fare, Like a Cheesesteak Burrito, this is the place to try. This is a new must stop for me every time I visit Escondido in the future.

Visited November 2013

Eugene, Oregon
“Outstanding, huge portions, unique and traditional foods.”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Unless you have a very large appetite, consider splitting an appetizer and an main dish. Half liter of margaritas starts things right. I had the Camarones Modelo, very, very tasty and quite rich. My wife had the excellent Sopes. Don't order a salad if you order this dish. Good service, great food, nice atmosphere, decent prices. We were staying at a time share so took leftovers home and had a meal of it the next night as well.

• Visited November 2013
San Diego, California
“Good mexican food - at last”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My wife and I recently found a gem in Escondido for Mexican food, Cenote Grill. Since moving from Phoenix in 2011 we’ve been in search of a place to get good Mexican food, good value and good service. Based on our visit on 8/30/13 we may have found that place. Our server (noted on the receipt as ID 6) was pleasant, attentive and personable. Unfortunately I don’t recall her name. The margaritas by the ½ liter (metric in the US?) were a good value. The chips and salsa were good and promptly replenished when needed. I had chicken fajitas which were good – seasoning was great. Choice of white or brown rice for Spanish rice was new – brown rice was tasty. Portions will not leave you hungry – we both had leftovers. 2 thumbs up.

• Visited August 2013
Tucson, AZ
“Blown Away-As Usual”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We're in the area every spring and Cenote Grill is a required stop. The food and service have always been excellent, no exception this trip. The staff is friendly and helpful-several friends have special dietary needs and they always get a good description of ingredients and advice on appropriate choices. Six of us ordered a variety of items and everyone was really happy with their meal. My husband and I always eat too much here-the portions are really large but the food is so good we persevere to the last bite. This time we split a full sized chopped salad as an appetizer- multi ingredients in a tangy dressing, often ordered as an entree but just a starter for us. Then my husband had one of his favorites, Camarones Modelo, shrimp in a beer sauce, and it was delicious. I ordered a Sopes plate, something I've had before, but this time the sopes were topped with salad ingredients, which made the version even better than I remembered. It was so pretty, too, colorful and bright, like a party on my plate. Each of the three sopes was filled with a different meat, and I particularly liked the charbroiled beef-and I'm no beef girl. We each had a beer, and all of us finished many baskets of the never-ending chips with two kinds of salsa. A great meal, one of the best of our entire month long trip. This restaurant is often busy early, empties out by 6:30 or so, so plan accordingly and anticipate a slight wait during busy times.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank rcatesby
Temecula, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mole, mole, mole, more!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

The chicken mole enchiladas were a special the evening we were there, but they are special anytime. The cheese steak burrito was full of flavor and more than any one man should eat, but I did anyway. Definitely get the burrito wet, even more flavor. Second time we have eaten at Cenote and second time we have said, "we need to make the drive down here more often." Compliments to the chef.

• Visited August 2013

Been to Cenote Grill? Share your experiences!