“Bed buds!”
Review of Super 8 Escondido

Super 8 Escondido
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My older daughter her baby and I stayed here for 2 nights. The room stunk! The floors were so dirty that the baby feet were black from walking around the room. We asked for extra towels and they brought us towels that smelled like cigarette smoke. We asked for an Iron and they brought it but no Ironing board. We tried to find andother hotel but nothing was available. When we had been home for several days we started getting little bumps. Some turned into blisters. My daughter and I live in 2 different homes and the 3 of us are the only ones that have the sores. SICK! I called the hotel and they said the General Manager would get back with me. She never did. My 3rd call resulted in them giving me a refund and telling me they checked the room and they didn't find anything!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Escondido

Reviewed 13 August 2012

Pros: Beds are comfortable, staff is friendly, pool and jacuzzi are nice, price is right.
Cons: Had to try six rooms to find three where the A/C worked (maintenance man tried to tell us to turn off AC unit for an hour and then turn them back on - this is when the temp was over 100 degrees), too few irons and ironing boards, hallways dirty, no conditioner or pens in room, location is sketchy, Wi-Fi is weak, no fruit or protein at breakfast

Room Tip: Rooms at either end of the hotel are larger.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TrueMinutiae
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Roaches everywhere and serious lack of towels and the outside appearance is Nasty..... we stayed a week with our team ...only reason we stayed was because we wanted ream together otherwise we would of left.....the only thing that was nice were the beds were comfy. And the staff aloud us to have team bbqs.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I am really shocked at the other reviews on this hotel. First of all, I never stay at super 8s, unless money is an issue or there are no other choices. I booked our nights stay at the last minute when we were visiting a friend in Valley Center, about 15 min away. I am used to 3 & 4 star hotels and never stay at motels to begin with... and the main reason is the beds! Lower priced hotels or motels normally have old, thin, uncomfortable coil mattresses... along with thin walls, tacky decor and sometimes rude staff. This place had NONE of these problems!! First of all, I don't know if these were brand new beds or what... But my whole family noticed the quality of the beds immediately upon entering our room! They're obviously tall, fluffy pillow top matresses that you just don't see in motel rooms! After a long day of driving, boy were we happy to jump into those beds!! In fact, I'll even say that those were the most comfy beds we slept on our entire vacation...and our other hotels were beach resorts that were four times the cost! Seriously! Aside from the beds, the room wasnt anything fancy, but it was a spacious room with a large bathroom and attached vanity area which my daughter and I especially loved! Our room was near the elevator, yet we still had a great nights sleep! The staff was so nice. The front desk person Sergio, was very pleasant at check in, and also at check out. So nice in fact, that I went back in to ask his name after we had checked out. Like I said, I very rarely stay at motels, and have had bad experiences at many...but this place is different. Even the free breakfast was surprising. Muffins, donuts, cereal, fruit, juice& coffee. All you need! We will definitely look forward to another good nights stay here, the next time we visit our friends! I mean, those beds!! Ahhhhh! :)

Room Tip: Very comfy beds!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We were in no condition to drive back to OC after an evening drinking and dining at the Stone Brewery Bistro, so I scouted for inexpensive but decent hotels in the area.

Super 8 in Escondido advertised rooms at $48 for a single non-smoking king. Perfect! This included the AAA discount. For a discount-end motel that didn't suck, this was a very good price. I SHOULD have made reservations.

When we finally checked in, around 10:30PM, we were then informed that all the king singles were sold out. Well, okay, that's fair given it was Valentine's day. So we were given a 2 queen double, at nearly $20 more than advertised. Huh??? We were too tired to go look for a substitute, but $68 for a Super 8 isn't competitive to me in that area. There's better motels at that price point. We took the room anyways.

The mattresses were clean and comfortable. Pillows were okay. Overall the condition of the room was fine. What I'd expect for a Super 8. I *did* like the AC/heater in the wall. It was a digital thermostat that was reasonably quiet and kept the room from getting too chilly. Worked very well. Its surprising to me how often those in-wall AC/heater are so poorly maintained that they rattle endlessly, or sound like a 737 taking off at 4AM. NOT this unit.

The bathroom layout was odd. One sink on a enormous counter, with hanger area, toiled and shower, in ONE room. Made it difficult for one person to use the facilities while the other brushed their teeth etc.

The building was reasonably quiet at night.

The shower was awful. The bowed curtain rod was partially broken and didn't keep the curtain around the tub while showering, which caused the floor all around the toilet to get soaked. Also, HOT WATER WOULD'VE BEEN NICE! I couldn't find hot water beyond "just barely tepid" for the morning shower. That was one chilly, unpleasant morning shower! My girl decided to not even bother taking a shower after I complained about it.

They said free WiFi. Gave me the password, but it didn't work. It kept refusing the password, thus another advertised feature didn't work. Was told they didn't know what was wrong. I wouldn't come here if I NEEDED WiFi during my visit, even if they claim it was working.

I know Super 8s are discount-ended motels, but they usually (as in this case) charge higher prices than similar chains (e.g. Rodeway Inn), thus I would expect better, especially from a Wyndham family of lodgings. This experience doesn't improve that with me, and I think I will tend to avoid Super 8s in the future. For another $10 we could've stayed at the Ramada and certainly had a better room.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Skorzy
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We had a comfortable stay to meet family. Pool and spa looked fine but to cold to use when we were there. Some restaurants nearby. Wi-Fi was difficult but possible. Had to re-login every time I wanted to access. Something they could improve. This is not a resort destination but if you have reason to vist here it is not a bad place.

Room Tip: I checked Yes for internet BUT it was IFFY.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hal R
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We require a handicapped accommodation. The room offered met our basic needs. The motel's elevator was just outside our door & when the door opened & closed we knew about it...The next AM as several units of excavating equipment arrived and commenced a work in progress...It was time to move... We did, to the HoJo across the street...Big mistake,That's however,different review...

Room Tip: Watch that elevator !
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple