“Decent place! ”
Review of Motel Mediteran

Motel Mediteran
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Work booked us here for 12 nights. Very easy to check-in, helpful and pretty clean space. Our room was good especially for the price. Maid came every day and did a good job! Bed was comfortable and we enjoyed our stay. We stay in hotels all the time for work and this one was actually one of the better ones we have stayed in and I have stayed in a ton!
The only downside is the loud bar next door (don't go there.. Overpriced and gross) and an adult shop is next to that!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 November 2013

My family and I stayed at this Hotel and had an overall positive experience. The rooms were not quite ready at check in time but there was a nice restaurant nearby and rooms were ready by the time we got back. Otherwise the rooms were small but clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast was very good and convenient. Very close proximity to the Assembly Hall within about ten miles. Overall a great deal.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I noticed when I arrived that the place was located next to an Adult Book Store and a biker bar. Next to these places, the convenience store owners looked nervous, constantly checking their video screens for activity. So you get an idea of the area. Unlike what one reviewer claimed, you cannot walk downtown. You cannot walk anywhere without cars zooming right by you - no sidewalks. When I came back from a walk, a couple next to my room were using the room for an hour. In order to get the key, the management or owners must have known about this kind of short term activity. This of course was a bad sign. The room stunk like a wet, dirty dog - not a little, bit, a lot. When I went to sleep that night, I was attacked by biting insects - probably fleas, but possibly bed bugs. The room on my other side had people in it that had amorous activities (wink-wink), stayed up all night talking, partying, and watching loud TV. I believe there were two separate groups but I was dead tired and was falling in and out of sleep. When I read the bad reviews of the place that I missed, I saw that the owners would probably not be amenable to my complaints so I just packed up & left in the morning. I've stayed in many budget motels and never had bugs. This, along with the partying, and guests filing in and out left me a little scared and angry that I had been duped by the positive reviews into staying here when I desperately needed a safe secure place to sleep and relax after driving across the country. Not at all recommended for families.

Room Tip: Avoid the row of rooms nearest the Adult Book Store - the row in the back that faces the street
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank LouisBSed
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I'll start out by saying right up front that the motel Mediteran is a good value for the area. It is clean, comfortable, quiet, very conveniently located, and most of all extremely reasonably priced, given it's proximity to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park the greater San Diego area in general. However, it is basically a travel lodge, and as such, it isn't really fair to compare it to a luxury hotel or resort.

That said, I did have a few issues that lowered the rating I gave this motel. Firstly, I had booked this hotel through Travelocity, and somewhere along the line, Travelocity hadn't delivered payment like they were supposed to. This was their fault, not the hotel's, but the way the woman at the front desk handled it could have been better - she basically just tried to charge my card without asking me about it, and when it didn't go through (not sure why, but thankfully, my bank declined the charge), only *then* did she call me to try and resolve it. I told her that the reservation was pre-paid, and she shouldn't need to charge me, to which she basically just told me to call Travelocity and figure it out. Fortunately, they called the motel and got it straightened out in a matter of minutes, but that could have very easily resulted in me paying for my room twice.

When I tried to take a shower at 9 PM on a Saturday, I found there was no hot water. I was tired and didn't feel like being moved to a different room, so I opted not to say anything about it and try again in the morning. When I did, I found that the shower was suddenly making hot water again, which was convenient for me, but kind of makes me wonder if they don't have a big enough hot water heating system for times of high demand.

Another inconvenience that would have been a bigger deal if I had been staying longer: wifi issues. The sign out front claims free wifi, and we were given a wireless password when checking in. However, when attempting to connect to the wifi, the network was unsecured and didn't prompt for a password, even when opening a web browser. Ultimately, I only spent a total of about 2.5 waking hours in the room, so I used the 4G connection on my phone rather than contacting management for assistance, but it would have been nice if it had just worked.

Finally, while the room was clean and comfortable, there were several fruit flies, especially in the bathroom. If it had only been one or two I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but I killed probably half a dozen in the span of ten minutes. Not sure where they were coming from, as there wasn't any food or anything left out, and I suppose it's possible that they came in from outside when housecleaning had the door open, but it struck me as kind of a minor annoyance. Thankfully, there were not cockroaches or bedbugs or anything like that, but it's still something that could have been better.

Minor inconveniences aside, I'd still probably stay at the Motel Mediteran again if I were in the area for a night, largely because it is very affordable, comfortable, and in a good location. The parking is free and basically ample (another plus in that area), there is plenty of closet space and free outlets for charging electronics, and there is a decent sized mini-fridge and microwave in the area. With several grocery stores and restaurants nearby, that can be a cost saver as well. However, if I were going to be spending more than a few waking hours in the hotel room - especially if I were going to be in town for more than a couple of days, I'd probably seek out some place that provided more than just the basic necessities needed for a passable motel stay.

Room Tip: Getting a parking space right in front of your room can be tough in certain areas, but the parking l...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The outside wasn't much to look at, and the bathroom was small, shower tiny, but the bed was comfy, the room in the back of the hotel was extremely quiet, and I felt this motel was an excellent value. I was working all day, and really only there to sleep, and it was perfect for that.

Room Tip: Room 128 is in the back row. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeanne D
Reviewed 12 September 2013

After an all day drive, hubby and I arrived tired and hungry. Betsy quickly got us to a very clean, updated room and pointed the way to a cafe nearby where the food was homestyle and inexpensive. We had a good night's sleep and were on our way in the morning bright and early, and well rested. You can't ask more than that for $65/night. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again for a night or two.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank SunSpots_CA
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I am really surprised to see positive reviews for this place, because i honestly had one of the worst motel experiences here. First, we could not be accommedated a bedroom with two beds ,so they gave us the suite which was overpriced in my opinion. Pretty much everything in that room that drains makes a loud roaring sound. We got moved over to the two bed which was located in the area where theres no rooms above it. The room was disgusting! Everytime you flushed the toilet it would leak out the raw sewage and get on the bathroom floor. I brought this to the attention of the office and told them about the problem and how it needed to be calked so the raw sewage doesn't leak out and get all over. They did nothing about it! The management here is careless and the fact that a room they rent out to people has such a problem to where raw sewage is getting on the floor is flat out disgusting! They didn't care obviously about my complaint and instead of doing a simple job like sealing the bottom of the toilet they are probably going to be neglectful with the maintenance that needs to be done. The rooms are also very small! The scent in the closet of the room could be described as putrid. The Mediteran won't be getting another penny from me!

Room Tip: Avoid this place!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Gokifwaz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Escondido Downtown
Escondido Lodge
Escondido Lodge
#7 of 16 in Escondido
Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo

Been to Motel Mediteran? Share your experiences!