“AUTHENTIC AND DELICIOUS”

Bangkok, Thailand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AUTHENTIC AND DELICIOUS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

Great sushi, great value, and great service. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who loves Japanese or Korean food. It is not a "flashy" or "fusion" sushi experience as many of the sushi places in southern california are becoming but rather a relaxed, peaceful, and authentic taste that you will not forget!

• Visited December 2011

San Diego
“Used to be Daruma off Valley Parkway. Excellent food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

I was so excited when I found Kan Sha off Grand Ave. I was craving Korean food forever - ever since it became one of my favorites starting at about age 7. My family used to take us to Daruma for dinner off East Valley Parkway. Daruma was my absolute favorite restaurant growing up. Whenever I had the opportunity to choose the restaurant for family night, I chose Daruma.

I moved to the midwest about 10 years ago. I asked my mom bring Daruma's famous cucumber pickles on the plane with her when she visited me just so I could still eat some of my favorite food. Shortly after I moved, my mom informed me that Daruma went out of business. There was no forwarding address - no nothing. I was so sad. When I moved back to California, I longed for the wonderful Korean food I grew up on but couldn't find an equal anywhere. After looking up Korean restaurants online, I came across Kan Sha. I decided to try it but doubted it could be as good as Daruma.

When I got there I asked the chef at Kan Sha if she made any cucumber pickles. She said she had some and went to gather a bowl for me as I babbled on about how I used to eat these wonderful cucumbers, chap chae etc. at a restaurant named Daruma. The chef turned and said to me, "that's us." I was so happy. Daruma didn't go out of business, they just moved and changed their name! I know it seems like a silly thing to be happy about but it was like all my celebratory childhood memories came flooding back in an instant. I ordered the exact same items I had in the past. They were so delicious! I called both my parents to tell them I had found our favorite Korean restaurant.

I know this was a long story but hopefully this information will be passed on to those of you, like me, who are still looking for Daruma. It's still there and its the exact same owners but now it's called Kan Sha. I hope all of you reading this review will try this restaurant as the owners are wonderfully hospitable while the food is the absolute best!

Escondido, CA
“Wonderful sushi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2008

Been going to Kan-Sha for years. Excellent sushi - the fish is always fresh. Wonderful cooked food too. This is not fast-food sushi so if you come on a busy night, be prepared to wait a little longer for the sushi. Oshi prepares each dish meticulously so it is worth the wait. The cooked food tends to come out faster - love the chap che (noodles). I haven't had anything on the menu that I didn't like! You'll find a lot of regulars at the sushi bar. The atmosphere is nice - it's not stuffy or superficial. If you like japanese food, make sure you come here!

CA
“Above average food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2008

If you enjoy Japanese or Korean food, go here. They offer inventive sushi and well prepared Korean staples.

Seattle, Washington
“Authentic Japanese and Korean food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2008

One of the only sushi bars in Escondido. I unfortunately do not enjoy fish very much so I can not speak for much of the sushi other than the California and tempura rolls (yum!) which are crafted by "Oshi," a Japanese sushi chef. I do, however, very much enjoy the Korean and Japanese dishes cooked by his Korean wife. She makes all manner of delicious traditional dishes, such as miso soup, tempura, chicken katsu, chicken meun (spicy chicken), chicken teriyaki (homemade teriyaki sauce, outstanding), and a dizzying array of traditional vegetable dishes which she ferments herself- pickles, kim chi, sprouts, salads with homemade salad dressing, etc. I have spoken with her several times on her upbringing in Asia creating these dishes. Outstanding. Recently they added some desserts- green tea and plum wine ice creams.