“OUR TRIP”

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Yuma, Arizona
“OUR TRIP”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

We just left this hotel today and am glad that we did. They were doing constant construction right outside of our room, and Friday evening our air conditioner begun making loud noises. When I called the front desk I was told that the maintenance man was gone for the day and they had no extra rooms. The front desk clerk told me he would call the General Manager and get back with me, but never did. On the website they offer an iron and ironing board in every room, we didn't have one, although they were nice enough to loan us one to use. I don't think we will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Orange, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

I didn't receive bottled water at check-in (see Jan. 2011 review), but I felt very satisfied with the room and overall accommodations for the money outlay. The location is very quiet, is convenient to highway 15 and has a restaurant next-door. The property is just slightly southwest of the main city-portion of Escondido, less than 1/2 mile off highway 15. There is a nearby supermarket / Starbuck's / Supercuts / Wells Fargo strip mall about 1/2 mile away to the north on the same street.

At the present time, they're painting the exterior, but it was not a discomfort to the overall stay. The only small discomfort is that the entrance driveway is also the exit driveway, and most of the parkings are angled, so in order to get out, you have to drive behind the building, and make a u-turn to get out, UNLESS the parking lot is not real crowded. There is an ice machine on the 2nd floor of the building and I don't think I have EVER stayed at a motel of this size that had an ice machine on the 2nd floor balcony, this was a nice addition to my stay, having a 2nd floor room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

I arrived late at night, desperately needing a place to sleep. I paid cash and went to my room. The room smelled horrible - like mold or something. So I went back to ask for another room. Same thing. These are old rooms - everything is old and creepy, and the smell is horrible. There was no way I was going to be able to sleep there, so I went back and very politely asked for a refund. The guy (owner-manager) was extremely nasty and refused to give me more than half of my money back! I was so upset, that I signed up for this site and a bunch of others just to write a bad review and warn others. Stay away from this horrible place - it should be bulldozed or burned down.

Room Tip: Every room is horrible.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank goodvalue100

Travellers are raving about these Escondido hotels

somwhere in the southwest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

outside of being a bit remote in general to the san diego area,this property is a good value-mind you, its apparently a used apt complex, maybe? its in an older residential/light commercil.a area on the outskirts of escondido, by the i-15. we got a slight upgrade to a kitchenette w/out even asking...this was good, as my colleague is diabetic, and it was handy in that regard.no utensils, but, still that was non-issue for us, as we had some available in the car.the lobby courtesy PC was just that: complimentary w/ no additional charge.-also at check-in, the clerk gave us two complimentary bottled of water (this is especially nice touch, since escondido is in a desert area)--there were 2 minor blips: the hot tub was only lukewarm (no biggy in say, march thru october, but in jan, a bit bracing.the onsite coin laundry was only $1.00 (unheard of in CA to be that low) and the other minor blip was the heater didnt seem to work, again, no biggy.--with that said: it should be noted, this is an older building, built when the median height of most people was about 4 inches lower than modern times, and thus the shower head nails most modern people in the chest, but waddyagonna do, right?. bkfst could use improvement (if i was cynical, I would say that they were getting kickbacks from the diner next door) complimentary newspaper is not a real newspaper, but rather USA today.outside of that, worth while.-and, no $ games played with my CC after I paid cash.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2010

I stayed here for 5 nights with 3 of my colleagues (each of us had a room) since all other hotels in the neighborhood were booked.

Pros:
1) Not too far away.
2) Cheap (Relatively)
3) Smoking rooms
4) Free Wi-Fi. Decent speed, but not too fast.
5) A great mexican restaurant (Hacienda De Vega) literally 25 yards away, provided you like Mexican food.

Cons:
1) Roaches in the loo.
2) I caught (and killed) 2 spiders (big ones) crawling on the side of my bed.
3) The mattress have holes in them (not cigarette holes but big ones on the side).
4) A/C in my room was just blowing air. Though I complained only the next morning (since I checked in late the previous night) and was told that it would be fixed in a day, it wasn't fixed at all.
5) 'Free breakfast' is a joke. The breakfast (toast, croissants, orange juice and coffee) is laid out at the reception area (very small area). If more than 3 people turn up for breakfast, there is no space left. Also, apart from a 2 seater sofa at the reception, there is no other place to sit. So you gotta eat standing up.
6) The pool (though I didn't swim) is less than 20 feet long (looks more like a big tub).
7) The key to my door (swipe card) had to be tried 3-4 times during each attempt before the green light on the door came on indicating it can be opened.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

My husband kids and I have stayed at the hotel many times, he is stationed at camp pendelton about 40 mins away so when we drive down for the weekends this is a great place to stay. Rooms have microwaves fridges & tvs. There's a great cafe next door. The staff here is great & knows us by name. Perfect location there's a mall about 5 mins away and all the fast food joints just down the road. Pool hot tub, everything you need. But I do reccomend bringing your own pillow because some times there a little flat. We love it here & for the price its great. Plus military discounts! You can't go wrong.

• Stayed July 2010
Bussum, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2010

I've booked this hotel because it was close to the San Diego Wild Animal park, which we visited the next day.

I've only paid 50,- for the room, so didn't expect much. I was wrong.

The staff was friendly, but what amazed us, were the rooms. They were really nice and spacious. Yes, everything was old, and yes, there was carpet on the floor, but everything was in one piece, everything worked and everything was clean,. The beds were also really good. Nothing I can complain about. The, free, wi-fi was also really decent.

The only negative thing is that the walls are thin. You don't want to have an loud neighbour with his alarm set at 06.00, which ofcourse we had.

It is an fine hotel, which deserves high ratings because you won't find better for this money.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Comfort Inn Escondido San Diego North County
Rancho Bernardo Inn
Rancho Bernardo Inn
#31 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,844 reviews

Been to Escondido Lodge? Share your experiences!