“Good for the money”

Best Western Escondido Hotel
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights while traveling in the area. Breakfast was nice and they had a decent choice (for those not gluten free). It was worth the money that we spent. The room was clean and the staff friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 August 2013

We spent a night after Safari Park. Hotel staffs aren't warm and welcoming but it's Best Western, I didn't really expect much. They did however put us on top of laundry room so my kids don't bother other guests. I really appreciate that because that's one less thing on my mind. The room is clean and comfortable. The bed, oh my goodness, one of the most comfortable ever slept on. Tempted to call and ask what they use so we can get the same one for home and we have the double pillow top at home. All in all we got a good night sleep and a filling breakfast in the morning (hard boiled eggs, yogurt, bagels, and made-your-own waffle) to prepare us for the Legoland adventure the next day. For little over $100, I say it's a good value.

Room Tip: Food tip: If you ever stay here after a long hot day at the Safari park and don't feel like drag...
1  Thank Colleen S
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We recently helped our daughter move to Escondido and stayed for 1 night at the Escondido Best Western. Originally was sold out through Expedia, Orbitz, etc. I decided to take a chance and call directly. When I explained why I needed a room, the clerk went out of her way to accomodate me. Breakfast was fantastic, everything was wonderful. This is our regular place to stay for our next visit. I highly recommend. Thanks.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This hotel has worse than normal internet connections and cell phone service. Don't expect much help from the front desk staff with those issues, especially Lisa. The breakfast was pretty standard, but seeing the yogurt served in plastic cups that provided no nutritional information or expiration dates gave us cause for concern. If all of your clothing can be hung in the closet you will be fine (good luck hanging the lingerie) because they do not provide a dresser in the suites. This is probably okay if you are only spending a night or two, but if you are there on business or spending any length of time, it's not an ideal situation.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Excellent accommodations for the price. Clean rooms, updated decor, easy parking, nice pool and hot tub, convenient location, good breakfast. My only complaint is the quality of the morning coffee but there was Starbucks down the street!

Reviewed 20 August 2013

This hotel was ridiculously convenient to where I needed to be which is why I chose it. It has a very nice exterior and lobby and the room was very clean. The staff was OK - the guy who checked us in had a weird vibe to him, but the woman who checked us out was very nice and professional. My biggest issues were the elevator which made an extremely scary noise and then we noticed the permit had expired last November. We took the stairs the rest of the time. The breakfast was also extremely mediocre, although I guess what do you expect at these kinds of hotels. The fruit was overripe and there was not a decent selection. All of the foods I tried I found to be too sweet - the waffles, yogurt and granola. If you are health conscious you should eat out because there's nothing healthy here unless you count hard-boiled eggs and sugary yogurt - I was on a budget so just dealt with it. My boyfriend thought the bed was too soft although I thought it was fine. The walls are also a bit thin and I could hear the TV in the next room, but I just turned on the fan and that drowned out the noise. I would stay here again because it was convenient to where I needed to be and very clean, but I'll budget in for breakfast somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
BW Escondido H, Manager at Best Western Escondido Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. (I especially enjoy reviews that use the word ‘ridiculously’ in the first sentence! :-)
The elevator repairman has already fixed the squeak in the elevator. Rest assured, it was not a serious issue, just unnerving because it shouldn’t squeak at all. The state inspection permit is expired, and I asked the elevator repairman about it. It is up to the State of California to decide when they want to inspect, and apparently they are a good 9 months or more behind on inspections. We do have it inspected on a regular basis by the elevator company, and all is well with it.
We look forward to your next visit to Escondido!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

August 16-17,2013 Stayed there on business.... built in the late 80's, huge building. In entering the walkways there is an old musty smell looks dingy and dark. in entering the room the smell is much stronger! An overall feeling is dusty as if thou the room had not been rented in awhile? Bedspreads, pillow slips and sheets dull looking and not a very fresh smell to them. Dust on the bed board. Tried opening the heavy window that was stuck had to call front office. The next morning up at 5 a.m. stepped away to the bathroom coming out what do you see "A COCKROACH" crawling on the bed!!! LIKE OMG! How horrible and disgusting is that?!! YUK! Had to catch the Roach in one of those clear plastic glass to show the Front Office. Still in shock called the front desk they immediately came to pick up the specimen....LOL .All they could do is apologize and asked if the sheets could be changed. "Not needed I was checking out!" Also ice machine broken on 1st floor had to go up to the 4th floor, clump of hair was on the walkway for the 2 day stay obviously no vacuuming had been done. The staff was friendly but they were all in plainclothes not even a shirt or polo shirt with the Best Western Logo. So Never Again! :-O

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
BW Escondido H, Manager at Best Western Escondido Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

We are as surpised as you are about the bug! This is a very rare occurence at our hotel. We have regular inspections by Orkin Pest Control on a bi-weekly basis. They have been notified about your experience and will pay special attention to that room and area of the hotel.
That room is rented on a regular basis. In fact, we have had a very busy summer with a full-house on almost every weekend.
I apologize for the ice machine on the first floor being broken. At the time you were here, we had ordered a new one and were waiting for it to arrive. It has arrived, and is literally being installed as I write this, right now!
We are planning a full-renovation of the hotel. Design specificiations are complete, and the furniture is currently on order. New carpet, drapes, furniture, TVs, bathrooms and improved WiFi.
I am happy to hear that our employees were kind, courteous, and responsive. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Comfort Inn Escondido San Diego North County
Hilton Garden Inn San Diego/Rancho Bernardo
Welk Resort San Diego
Welk Resort San Diego
#1 of 16 in Escondido

Been to Best Western Escondido Hotel? Share your experiences!