“LOVED THIS PLACE (Welk Mountain Villas). We will be back!”

Welk Resort San Diego
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Reviewed 17 May 2011

We just returned from a fabulous week at the Welk Mountain Villas! We stayed in a one bedroom with the full kitchen (3837 in the Teton buildings). We were on the top (3rd) floor, with amazing views from our balcony. The room was very clean and spacious. There were only 2 of us, but you could have easily accommodated another person on the sofa bed in the living room. The room was everything as advertised with jacuzzi tub for 2 in the bedroom, fireplace in the bedroom and living room, nice kitchen with granite counters and all of the amenities (including an ice maker), nice bathroom (although we were not huge fans of the multiple sprays as the water pressure was not the best, and a washer dryer combo in the living room. (Very loud, try to do the laundry when you are not planning on hanging out in the villa for long periods of time).

Note a few comments:

1. If you are staying in the Mountain villas, ask for Teton or Cascades building. They have the best views. In fact, of the of other buildings actually have the balconies overlooking the parking lot. I am not sure what brilliant developer came up with the plan, but not a smart one.

2. No elevators in the buildings. If you cannot walk up and down steps, ask for 2nd floor, it is the only floor that does not require steps.

3. The resort is near the I15 freeway. You cannot really hear it from the Mountain villas, but if you walk the grounds like we did, you can. Not a huge deal, but if you do not like freeway noise, may be something to consider.

4. The grounds on the Welk resorts are BEAUTIFUL! They do an amazing job in the upkeep of the grounds. Beautiful flowers everywhere. We saw lots of bunnies and birds as well.

5. They make you go to the Concierge desk at checkin to get your parking pass. ARGH. That is the ONLY downfall of this resort. The timeshare sales people/concierge people are ANNOYING! Be strong, tell them NO, and they will leave you alone.

6. Surprisingly nice (and decent priced) boutique on site. I bought several pieces of cute jewelry for reasonable prices.

7. Convenience store on site is well stocked, and not toooo high in price. If you need something I would recommend using it, but for over all grocery shopping, go the Vons grocery store which is about 10 minute drive down the frontage road. (Champagne road).

8. Staff that we encountered at the resort (besides the Concierge) was very nice.

9. We will DEFINITELY be back! Loved this place a lot! Bring your walking shoes if you like to exercise, as the area is very hilly and a great place to get in some cardio!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank maja651
There are newer reviews for Welk Resort San Diego

Reviewed 16 May 2011

i mentioned all the negative reviews to my wife when she and her sister booked this place, but they didn't listen. Yes, the place is in the middle of nowhere. Yes, the rooms were not the ones they booked, and they were told every single day that no other rooms were available (poppycock!). Yes, the rooms were not properly cleaned------there was a sandwich sitting out on the kitchen counter when we checked in. Yes, the kitchen had no stove, oven, or washing machine. Yes, the toaster oven and coffee maker were CRAWLING WITH ANTS. Yes, the next day, after the exterminator came and we couldn't use our rooms for the entire day, THE ANTS MOVED INTO THE BATHROOM. Yes, there was often no manager on duty. Yes, we were very HAPPY TO LEAVE. NO, DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
23  Thank aaw926
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Wife and I stayed at the resort from April 29 thru May 6. On May 1, we signed up for the "Destination Welk" tour to Hollywood the following Wednesday. We were told at sign-up that someone would phone our suite on Tuesday evening and let us know if there was a tour group going as well as when and where to meet. If the tour did not go, we would not be charged for the trip. Tuesday came and went--NO Phone message. Tuesday night, I phoned the Activity Center for more information--it was closed. Wednesday morning I walked down to the front desk area and was told that the desk clerk on duty knew of no Hollywood Tours that day. We returned to our suite and went back to bed. 90 Minutes later the Concierge Desk phoned and told us the Tour was ready to leave and we would miss the tour if we didn't get there immediately. It was impossible for us to come immediately so they left without us. Later that day, and at checkout, we were assured by both the Concierge Desk and the Desk Clerk at Checkout that we would not be charged for the Hollywood Tour that we did not take.

A week later, my credit card statement was emailed to me. To my dismay--but not my surprise--I was charged full price for the "Destination Welk Hollywood Tour" that my wife and I did not take.

Since then I have made 6 phone calls to concierge Customer Service at the Welk Resort in Escondido. None of my calls have been returned.

WOULD YOU RECOMMEND THIS RESORT TO YOUR FRIENDS OR BUSINESS ASSOCIATES? I WOULDN'T!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank KenBall_11
Reviewed 6 May 2011

Just got home from Welk Resort San Diego and had such an amazing time! Plenty for the kids to do which gave us some (much needed) time to ourselves. So romantic to sit in the Spa at the pool! Water Parks, Splash areas - our kids had a blast; not to mention so much stuff to do nearby we couldn't fit it all in. Will be back for sure!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank PStarsPlayer
Reviewed 4 May 2011

The grounds are beautiful. There are 4 swimming pools and a lot of on site activities. This was an Intervale trade and I was so annoyed with our room. It turned out to be a 1 bedroom lock off u it (like an efficiency room). Very small. The view out thebecroom window was a wall. The small patio was on the golf course. Spoke to management on a Monday and didn't hear from a hone until 3:30 on Wed. They offered to move us to a different room but we were checking out on Fri. so it seemed kind of pointless at that point. If you are planning a visit verify the type of room you will be in. The on site restaurant Canyon Grill was very good and reasonably priced. Restaurant row is about 10 miles away. The resort is about 1 hour from San Diego and about 2 hrs. to
LA. Staff seems to blow you off if you have any problems and even after being a pest they were still slow in responding (I am wondering if this is because we did not listen to there sales pitch). All in all the resort does have a lot to offer if you plan on staying there a lot. I just can't get over the crummy room and how we were treated. I have traded my time share many times and any time I had a problem it was addressed immediately - not here. If you go here I hope you are treated better than we were. It is a shame because it is a nice place.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank countrysue50
Reviewed 3 May 2011

We stayed at this resort from April 24-May 1 2011. It was myself, husband, 3yr old, 8yr old and my parents. We had a two bedroom unit. I have read reviews on here from time to time and feel sometimes that a lot of people are just hard to please, but this is a very honest review and I am not a hard person to please. We were truly all very disappointed.
Pros: Pools and the golf course are nice.
CONS:
*Rooms are disgusting! The carpets are FILTHY! Stains everywhere. After the first few minutes we noticed how black our kids feet were. From that point we didn't take off shoes or always kept socks on. Tile was cracked and broken pieces placed back in. Major problem with spider and ant infestation. Kids were scared. We felt nervous getting into bed each night.
*They are currently remodeling some of the units. Don't plan on a quiet, relaxing trip as the workers start at 6:00am and don't end until dusk. Very, very annoying! Obviously, remodeling has to be done, but 6:00 am I thought was very rude!
*Noise from the interstate is constant so going out on the deck for some quiet still wouldn't happen if there wasn't remodeling going on because of the road noise.
*Plan on driving a long way to get a meal. There isn't anything near the resort, not even a fast food place. They do have a full kitchen so you can cook your meals if you want to.
*They do have a pizza hut on site, but it isn't full menu and one can only eat pizza so much. They have a grill which is quite pricey for the quality.
Many people have gone to this resort and loved it and still will go and love it, but I just wanted to share my opinion.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank MelZ79
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Will not visit again... Checked in and was upgraded to a one bedroom Villa 4925,arrived in room, bed linens were dirty and spread on the floor, called maintanance, went to dinner, two hrs later came back room still was unmade, called front desk, waited over 45 mins, no one came, gathered belongings, went to front desk to have a refund or move to another room, they did have room 3912 available... WAS A CAVE, no cell service available (just in case there was a family emergency), block walls around you. By this time it was 9PM, to late to check out and leave, JUST A REALLY BAD LET DOWN and a WASTE OF $200.00. The Canyon Grill tables had MEAT PACKING PAPER on it... What a very unprofessional dining experience. What are you thinking.. I will post this on Trip Advisors for future guests to understand that they should expect a one star lodging experience! Checked out at 7AM, cancelled our tour of the property and left. I was so shocked at the overall experience of the Welk Resort, I travel alot and believe me this potentialy beautiful property has not been taken to it's highest level. SHAME !

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank flower32722
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Best Western Escondido Hotel
Omni La Costa Resort & Spa
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Escondido Downtown
Comfort Inn Escondido San Diego North County
Tuscany Hills Resort
Tuscany Hills Resort
#12 of 16 in Escondido
Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!