“10am checkout is too early!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Welk Resort San Diego
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Los Angeles, California
“10am checkout is too early!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Nice spacious rooms at this resort... But 10am checkout is too early!! I have stayed here twice, both times I asked about late check out when I checked in, both times I was told to call in the morning to ask if late checkout was available... Both times I called in the morning, and let me tell you, they want you out in a rude kind of way!!! Why can't they just tell me straight out when I check-in that they don't have late check out?? go figure!!! This the only downside.. The grounds are nice...

Room Tip: Ask to be close to a pool to enjoy... Otherwise you have to drive or take a shuttle..
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ben1900
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear ben1900,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am happy to see your family had a great stay here at the Welk Resort. I apologize for any late check-out challenges experienced during your stay. I am glad to hear everything else went well. We look forward to you and your family visiting us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

I truly loved staying at the Welk Resort a few weeks ago but DO NOT do the time share as it was close to 4 hours long and we cannot even use the "Free Trip" they give you for going. You cannot use it for 1 year if you are coming back to San Diego and if we had known that we would not have even wasted a half of our day doing this tour.

The resort is awesome lots of activities and fun for the kiddos. Rooms are amazing and we will definitely be back but just know not to do the timeshare tour.

Room Tip: Rooms of the GREEN are AMAZING as well as the Mountain Villas, they are the newest and most updated...
3 Thank richelleandjason
Dear richelleandjason ,
Thank you for your delightful review. It is great to read that you had a great mini vacation with us here at Welk Resort. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am glad to see you really enjoyed the quality of our Villas. We look forward to you returning to visit us again when you return to the area.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Beautifully appointed apartments with stunning views over well maintained gold course. This resort has two golf courses and offer complimentary golf clinics weekly. They have a very good on site restaurant and also a musical theatre showing Greece when we were there. The swimming pools are great and there is also a great adults only pool if you want to get sway from the noise of someone else's kids. The market place offers a small store and also a Pizza Express

Room Tip: If you want an apartment with a full kitchen don't choose one that has LK next to the one bedroo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Linda Q,
I appreciate the feedback from your vacation at Welk Resort. It sounds like you and your family had a great visit. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to post a review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our resort amenities, including the theatre. We look forward to you visiting us again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We love the Welk Resort when visiting our family in Southern California. We visit five or six times a year. It is without doubt the BEST family resort in the area. Great and helpful staff. Good restaurants. Good location. Activities for all ages. Pools and water slides and family fun galore. Sorry we did not see Adrienne, our favorite celebrity staff person at the resort. Hope you are feeling better, Adrienne.

Room Tip: We like the top floor for views and quiet.
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Cynthia F
Dear Cynthia F,
First of all, thank you for making Welk Resort your destination of choice when you visit southern California. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and the highlights and details you provided on the resort are excellent. We look forward to seeing you and your family again in the near future.
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon at around 5:15, got checked in without a problem. I was told that the unit I was staying in had parking a few steps away, the check-in person made the comparison that it was from where she was standing to the front door of the lobby. I could not locate the building, because the name of it faces the street that you use to drive past the actual building. I flagged down a pool security staff member, who assisted me. When I asked some of the housekeeping staff in the parking lot that noses up to the golf course if there were better parking areas, they said no, that the unit was down several flights of stairs, down a long walkway, and down another flight of stairs, and that there were only a couple of street parallel parking spots nearer toward the entrance.
I got to the unit, and discovered that it had not been cleaned. At all. Piles of filthy towels in the bathroom, kitchen, and rumpled used linens in the bedroom.
It should be noted that check in time is 4 p.m., and I arrived at the unit at 5:35. As I was on the phone with the front desk, two housekeepers entered the unit, and I pointed out that the villa had not been cleaned. There was a language barrier, and I decided to call my parents, who are the owners of the time share. I waited on the stairs outside the unit, and a housekeeping supervisor came by, and I conveyed my dissatisfaction. She said "We've been very busy" and offered a lukewarm apology. They did a good job of cleaning the unit, and as I was outside waiting, I noticed that the screen door leading to the patio had a cracked handle that was hanging by a thread, with extremely sharp edges, the frame was bent, and the screen was separated and flapping in the breeze, the glass bistro table was cracked and all of the glass was spiderwebbed and looked like it could come apart at any moment. These are all safety hazards, which I pointed out to Ms. Ibarra (housekeeping supervisor), along with wanting to make sure that neither my parents nor I were charged for those items. She told me that it was a maintenance problem, and that she'd put in a work order.
Her parting words were that someone would be bringing down linens for the fold out couch, within 3-4 minutes. After nearly an hour, I called the front desk again, and they asked me if I wanted to call housekeeping directly. I politely explained that I'd already been exceedingly gracious with my experience thus far, and that it was ultimately the responsibility of the resort to fulfill their obligation.
The manager on duty called me back, and after I explained that I was denied the use of the unit for two hours past check-in time, plus the overall condition of the unit and the empty promise of clean linen, I was offered an acceptable method of compensation to make up for my trouble. A couple of hours later, my bedding arrived, and although (presumably) clean, it was quite old with holes in the mattress pad, and a dingy hand towel thrown in. Then, a little while later, someone else came by with another bag of various linens.
The adjoining door to the unit next to ours served as a megaphone for the noisy family staying next door, and my children got very little sleep during our three night stay.
The maintenance issues were not resolved during our stay, but since I am not the owner, I don't have much leverage.
Mistakes and miscommunications can and will happen, but when even service recovery is a letdown and fraught with empty promises, it's disappointing.
This is our 4th stay here, and we have never had issues like this before, but the owners (my parents) were with me those other times so maybe that makes the difference.
The resort itself is quite lovely, with plenty of appealing and enjoyable amenities, but my stay was certainly not nearly as relaxing as it's been in years past. I do need to point out that the Canyon Grille restaurant was very good, with superb service all the way around.
I feel guilty that my parents had to use up valuable points on my stay, but even worse to think about the amount of money they've spent to purchase their membership. I sincerely hope that my experience was not typical of the Welk resort.

Cleanliness
2 Thank SoCalFan6
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear SoCal Fan6,
We appreciate your taking the time to post a review which gives us the opportunity to thank you for staying with us. I apologize for any challenges you experienced when you initially checked into your room and during your stay. It is good to see you found our resort lovely and our service at the grill excellent. I don't think your experience was typical. We look forward to having you return again for a more typical Welk vacation experience.
Salt Lake City, Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Some "Family" resort this is! My husband suffered a totally unanticipated massive brain bleed rendering him unconscious and in a hospital ICU room just a two days before my scheduled stay at the Welk resort in Escondido, CA. I was told that there would be NO REFUND. There is no extenuating circumstance (even for hospitalization and/or death) by which a refund will be made. Even though they were contacted within 38 hours of my scheduled arrival--NO REFUND was their stance. I don't think Lawrence Welk would have approved of that type of treatment. I will never book a reservation with any of the Welk resorts again, and I will certainly tell my friends my story about poor customer service and lack of concern or empathy on the part of the resort administrators who set such a rigid refund policy. You have turned into just another greedy corporation. You should be ashamed.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Madashell134
Dear Madashell134,
I apologize for the information you were given by Expedia. The information provided to you is not correct. Thank you for reaching out to me to get this matter resolved. I hope your husband is on his way to a full recovery. Please feel free to reach out to me directly with any further questions or concerns.
Buckeye, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

This is our third family trip to Welk Resort. We couldn't be more impressed. The ground are beautifully kept. The condos are huge and very modern. We can get over the amenities. Four different pools with tons of activities for the kids and teens. Wonderful restaurant and bar on-site. Fun shows at the resort theater. A very relaxing spa on-site. Convenience store and resort shop are also on site. You wouldn't have to leave the property. Why would you want to with all there is to do here.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank CoriLynne
Dear CoriLynne,
It is great to hear your family has had the opportunity to enjoy multiple vacations here at Welk Resorts. I appreciate you taking the time to post a review and the highlights and details provided on the resort activities, features and staff. It is wonderful to hear your family had a fantastic vacation with us. We look forward to your return visit, as well as the opportunity to create more fantastic vacation memories for your family.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
BEST WESTERN Escondido Hotel
Tuscany Hills Resort
#8 of 16 in Escondido
Holiday Inn Express San Diego - Escondido
Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!