“We enjoyed Welk Resort”

Welk Resort San Diego
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
“We enjoyed Welk Resort”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

It was our first time at Welk and we loved it! Kids had a lot of fun swimming at their pools and hanging out at rec center. The room was really nice and peaceful. The location is amazing, surrounded by gorgeous hills. The most beautiful sunsets and sunrises. We also loved local farmer's markets with fresh veggies and fruit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear jburke 345,
Thank you for your excellent review. It is great to read that your family enjoyed your vacation at Welk Resort as well as our resort activities and amenities. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to post a review. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back for another fun-filled family vacation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Bad experience will never stay here again.
No one would pick up the phone at the from desk and when I finally got through close to check out time at 10:00 am they would not give me more than 15 minutes to get out without a charge. Which I thought was completely ridiculous considering check in time is 4:00 pm. I was asking for 45 mins extra to get my things together and the ladies in the front desk were most rude and unhelpful. Would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Malika P
Dear Malika P,
We appreciate you taking the time to post a review, disappointed that we did not meet up to your expectations as well as ours regarding customer service. I apologize that we were unable to grant your late check out request. We do look forward in the hope of being able to welcome you back and delivering to you the professional and friendly customer services levels that so many of our guests have experienced and continue to enjoy at the Welk Resort.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is a great resort. Very quiet area with nice amenities. Worth the short drive to other places. It has a lot to do right on the site. The dining options are good also. The Canyon Grille has lots of choices or there is a Pizza Hut Express as well. The shows that I have seen there have been fantastic. Did not see one this time. La Jolla is less than an hour away. San Diego and Temecula are about 30 minutes.

• Stayed July 2014
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Clint R,
I appreciate the wonderful review and the feedback from your stay with us. Thank you taking the time to post a review and the highlights and details you provided on the resort. It is great to hear you had a great stay here at Welk Resort. We look forward to you returning to vacation with us again soon.
Murrieta, California
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We love going to Welk Resort because we can relax enjoy the wonderful weather and property and never leave our villa. The rooms are beautiful and the patios or balconies give outside space to sit and enjoy. BBQ are near and BBQ tools are in the room so you can cook outdoors if you choose. We can join in the planned activities for our age group and have a great time, and meet people from all over the world. We recently learn what Facebook was all about in a class offered for adults. If something is wrong in the room the issue is taken care quickly. There have been very few times we have needed maintenance, but when we did it was minor issues and resolved before . There are 2 restaurants, a small grocery store, and a clothing store on property.
The productions at the Welk Theatre are some of the best we've seen. We love the local theater talent and attend almost every show when we stay.
Fun for all ages, close to theme parks in San Diego area and Disneyland.

Room Tip: there are several pools, so ask for an area closer to the pools. Most children activities take place...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Patricia B,
Thank you for your excellent review. It is great to read that you enjoyed your vacation and our resort activities and amenities. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to post a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the near future.
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Welk resort villas are large, clean, comfortable and equipped with everything suitable for an overnight or longer stay. The two sleeping rooms are spacious and well equipped. Bathroom are large with multiple sinks in each with a walk-in shower in one and a large tub/shower in the other. Dining and living quarters are roomy and equipped with comfortable furniture. The kitchen is well stocked with everything needed to cook full meals for several people. Patio furniture is plentiful and comfortable. Housekeeping keeps units spotless and responds to in-stay needs in a timely manner. The grounds are immaculate, as are the five recreation centers, each of which were used on our recent two-week stay. The workout room served our fit the needs of children and grandchildren. The onsite theater provided its typical high caliber production (Grease) that family enjoyed with the resorts dinner/theater option. By all accounts the Welk Resort Escondido is an exceptional site offers something for everyone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Greg C,
Thank you for your excellent review. it is great to see your family had a fantastic two week vacation here at Welk Resort. I appreciate the details on our resort accommodations, amenities and activities. We look forward to you and your family returning for another fun filled family vacation.
reno
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

1. Checking in will frustrate you, they try to get you to tour the time share. They do not care what you need or want, just that you get the "parking pass" but, oh do you want a free gift and a tour? Say no. Just say no. I couldn't even get a room in the location I wanted, I got their nicest villas, when all I wanted was walking distance to the golf course! Freaks just would not hear anything about my needs, just wanted me to know I was in their most updated villas. Come on people, customer service is about my needs not yours. No, I don't want your time share, I just came to golf. So why the gees would I want to be in Mountain villas that requires me to drive to the golf course!
2. The rooms have no daily cleaning, no daily toiletries, you do it all yourself including your trash. It's not a true hotel, but a freaking time share. Ok, if I wanted to do my own daily laundry, dishes, cook, I would have stayed home. I had no idea going through Expedia that this was a time share, not a resort hotel.
3. The place is trashy and old, literally. I found trash outside my patio door on checking in. The plumbing leaked spouting water like a whale that needed a plumber on day 1. The unit was supposed to be their upgraded one, with the thick square box TV from a decade ago. I hate to think of the standard unit. The rate for my luxury was average of approx $200/nt.
4. The property is removed from anything of interest to me. Really far from zoo, seaworld, balboa, etc. Heck, I came for the golf course, but couldn't get to it even after getting my room without driving to it from the mountain villas. There is 1 mediocre restaurant to eat at, 1 slow pizza hut express, 1 not real Starbucks but rather a store with Starbucks cups and a pre made coffee pot using Starbucks coffee sitting on a counter for you to dispense. Seriously. Sad place.
5. 1 star for the pools, but pools are associated with specific villas do you may end up having to drive this vast complex to get to your pool. Pool towels in your room, may only be 2 so you have to call for basic things like towels.
6. Staff consistently not customer service focused on serving your needs. This includes check in to people on the phone. I was supposed to get VIP services through Expedia, whatever that meant here.
7. There are free activities like soccer golf, crafts, farmers market on Monday. These do not make up for the isolated location way up in Escondido. Free parking, free wifi. But the kids ear free is only with a paying adult, once a day, at the same 1 restaurant. I don't eat at the same place every day on vacation, that's part of why I take vacations. .. no cooking, eating out, splurge, relax. Who comes on Vaca to continue mundane chores from home like cooking, cleaning, and eating the same thing everyday.

This place just was not for me in anyway, it was definitely not a place to relax on vacation. Be warned because it is not a place to get pampered. Check out is 10 AM, think about that, 10 AM with a charge of 50 per person still in the room afterwards. Think... is that your vacation?

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank pickyreno
Hutch F, Director of Consumer Affairs at Welk Resort San Diego, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear pickyreno,
We appreciate your taking the time to post a review which gives us the opportunity to thank you for staying with us. We apologize that you had not seen on Expedia that daily housekeeping service is available for a surcharge and arrangements can be made at check-in and that our front office team did not mention and ask if you would like this service. By allowing guests to choose whether they would like daily cleans or forgo, allows us to keep our pricing competitive. Our San Diego Resort has 714 luxury villas. There are times we are not able to accommodate a specific villa location request due to full occupancy. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and hope you will consider giving us another chance to change your impression.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Nice spacious rooms at this resort... But 10am checkout is too early!! I have stayed here twice, both times I asked about late check out when I checked in, both times I was told to call in the morning to ask if late checkout was available... Both times I called in the morning, and let me tell you, they want you out in a rude kind of way!!! Why can't they just tell me straight out when I check-in that they don't have late check out?? go figure!!! This the only downside.. The grounds are nice...

Room Tip: Ask to be close to a pool to enjoy... Otherwise you have to drive or take a shuttle..
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ben1900
Dear ben1900,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am happy to see your family had a great stay here at the Welk Resort. I apologize for any late check-out challenges experienced during your stay. I am glad to hear everything else went well. We look forward to you and your family visiting us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Best Western Escondido Hotel
Omni La Costa Resort and Spa
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Escondido Downtown
Comfort Inn Escondido San Diego North County
Tuscany Hills Resort
Tuscany Hills Resort
#13 of 16 in Escondido
Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!