“Great Place to Relax”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Escondido
Manhattan Beach, California
“Great Place to Relax”
Reviewed 31 October 2010

While the resort is equal distance from excellent wine tasting, San Diego attractions, and the Pacific ocean, this place is made to just relax. The weather is great, golf courses are not crowded, lots of pools available, and always engaging activities at the resort. We prefer the older two bedroom Lawrence Welk Resort Villas but all are nice, not real fancy but spacious and very comfortable. The kitchen is great for home cooking, the Canyon Grill food is very acceptable, and there are a lot of restaurants within an easy drive (as well as full grocery stores. The Monday farmers market is great but the resort convenience store is limited and pricy. Even out kids did not like the little Pizza Hut on site. For excitement, go to New York (muggings can be exciting). Go to Welk San Diego to relax and enjoy.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank polarbearx

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 October 2010

I was lured into a timeshare talk at Miramar Air show which I had never been to but have notoriously heard about for years. They were offering free air fare and two nights hotel in Hawaii so my wife and i signed up to see what this was all about.
Our tour guide was Scott who was a very genuine nice guy and i respected his opinion and his ability to "sell" the idea of a timeshare without making me feel pressured. I knew from the beginning the chance of my actually signing up for this was about 1%, but i did give Scott my full attention and I will have to say that after hearing all the perks and extras thrown in at the end it was tougher to walk away then i expected. In the end the big factor that kept me from signing was the fact that you had to make a decision during your visit or the offer was void. I certainly am not an impulse buyer, especially when you are talking about a purchase over 10k and i just couldn't get past the fact if this was SUCH A GOOD DEAL as we were told, then why was a being pushed out of my comfort level and told i couldn't go sleep on it? The "closer" or the manager of the sales guys came over and really laid the heat on and that was the breaking point - although he was also courteous his demeanor was that of a pure salesman interested in one thing - closing the deal. When he realized we really were going to say no, he seemed to suddenly lose interest in us and got up from the table and just walked away. Scott was very nice and walked us out - i would definetly ask for him if you ever do this tour!
Regarding the Welk resort in Escondito...it looked nice, but i wasn't blown away by any means. Its in the middle of some canyons and has a golf course and some pools, but if you are interested in seeing San Diego or the ocean, its not that convenient
My last bit of advice - Be ready for a 3-4 hour talk - they tell you 90 minutes when you sign up, but that is definetly a stretch!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
11 Thank jamesdunton
Salt Lake
Reviewed 28 October 2010

We stayed here as part of a Timeshare Trade through RCI. There are some great things about this resort and there are some bad things.
Good: There are TONS of pools and activities.
Bad: The pools were really cold and everything is pretty far away. The grocery stores were 15 minutes away and the market onsite was really expensive.
If you do not plan on going siteseeing or leaving the resort this is a great place to stay. I would go in late summer because I would imagine the pools are warmer.
For us, it was too far away from everything. I cannot imagine returning.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank sarahlovesvegas
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 28 October 2010

We arrived and checked in with very little wait. We stayed at the Villas on the green and had a ground floor patio because of a child in our party with special needs. They were very accomadating. We opted out of the sales pitch and enjoyed as many events as possible. The accomodations were great, the pools were fun and relaxing we even worked out every day! The location is great for day trips to the Zoo, the Navel Base and much more. We were happy to see a Trader Joe's so close for home cooked meals. I will visit again using time share trade points. Thanks for a great time!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Atlez
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Our family really enjoyed this resort and we look forward to going back sometime soon. We traded our week through Interval International. The waterslides are wonderful, especially for the kids. My 4 year old was big enough to go down and they do not drop off into a pool, so I felt it was safe for her. They had pools and recreation centers all over the resort. They have activities planned daily, so the kids are always entertained. They had hula hoop contests, balloon toss, ice cream sundaes, air hockey, fuse ball, pool tables, fishing and much more. Like most timeshares, the fitness room was very busy in the morning and much better at night.
My kids really enjoyed the magic show that was put on at the resort's live theatre. This was well worth the extra money!! They have other shows you can choose from as well.
I was a little disappointed that they fogot to call us about the timeshare sales. We usually attend them to see what they have to offer.
The other thing we didn't like about the resort is the older units (the Lawerence Welk units) because the bath is closed in and it is hard to bathe the kids in this set-up. We would've liked to stay in the newer units with two bedrooms, but they never seem available as a two bedroom unit. These units are very dated, but they are very clean. They are very spacious and big enough for our family of five.
The restautant on site is pricey but there is a Pizza Hut and 15 minutes down the road there are a lot of food places and stores. This resort is located very close to the Wild Animal Park and Legoland.
Overall, we thought this was a great resort!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank johdel
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed 16 October 2010

My wife and I exchanged our 1 week timeshare to visit the Welks. Check in was a little busy and the offer of taking the "golf cart tour" was presented which we declined. We did check in about 30 minutes early and our room was not yet available. Understandable since check in time is at 4 pm. They took our phone number and they said they would call us if the room became available. Well come 4pm, no phone call. We went to the lobby again and received our room keys and map of the resort. It was a 2nd floor, 2 bedroom Villa over looking the 9th hole of the golf course. First impression of the Villa was that it was clean and very warming. Decor was a little out-dated but still very nice. Everything worked and we didn't have a problem.

Once my wife and I unpacked; to include our groceries for the week, we received a phone call on our cell phone from the front desk. They told us that our room was ready. To laugh, I said I know we are already in it. That puzzled the lady on the phone!! She asked who checked us in and we told her. She then stated that we were given the wrong Villa and asked if we could move down stairs. My reply to her was "arent the Villa's all the same." She stated that they were, but that the Villa we were staying in was a deeded Villa and the owners wanted their Villa. (Back in the day when you bought a time share, you had a set week and the same Villa everytime.) Very old school way of doing timeshares. I expressed to the lady at the counter that we were indeed owners or our own timeshare, but decided to pay the exchange fee to visit the Welks. After a few more minutes of talking with her, she told us to stay where we were and for the trouble offered to pay for dinner for my wife and I which was unneccessary, but appreciated.

The resort was very clean and well maintained. They always had staff and contractors doing something on the grounds. They do a great job of maintenance and they are updating many Villas. I think the best part of the trip was watching the golfers from my balcony tackle the 9th hole. While I do have to admit some were very good, others had no business being on the golf course. Made it for some very humoris afternoons.

My wife and I didnt use the ammenities as we were always going into San Diego for our entertainment. From what we saw of them however, they did look wonderful. We used the ADULT pool a couple of times but that was about it.

This seems to be a multiple generation resort. You had young couples with kids to the retired 6 times older folks. Either way there is always something going on at the resort.

I would recommend this resort, but be prepared for the timeshare push. It is either for you or its not. Since we already owned one, we didn't find it neccessary to do it again. One time share is enough, and you can use it anywhere when you trade.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank umpiretommy1
chino hills
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We stayed in the Broadway Hill section in a 2br villa. We did not attend a time share presentation. Although the fixtures were dated, the villa was very large, clean, and more than adequate for our family of four. We have two kids (ages 6 and 10), and they loved the activities and water slides. Although we weren't close to much, we enjoyed just being at the resort. We went to SeaWorld and Legoland as these were both closer to us than had we traveled from home.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escondido
Best Western Escondido Hotel
#29 of 279 in San Diego
Tuscany Hills Resort
Tuscany Hills Resort
#7 of 16 in Escondido

Been to Welk Resort San Diego? Share your experiences!