We stayed here on a preview package in a one bedroom villa suite at Villas on the Green, and overall had a really good stay.
Love the beautiful landscaping, flowers, waterfalls, grass, fire pits, golf course.
Room was very clean, spacious, updated, had a nice bathroom and kitchen, and big deck.
Pools were very nice and something for everyone – our kids loved the water slide, but there was also water playground, kids’ pools, adult pools, Jacuzzi
-Activities – lots of scheduled activities for the kids – we did poolside candy Bingo, the hoola hoop contest, the $2 poolside snow cones
-The food stand at the new pool – but it needs to open on time; we waited half an hour for them to get set up, and the kids were getting very impatient.
-Summer Nights – July 1-4 – live music, face painting, bouncies, pony rides, farmers market, beer garden, etc.
-Canyon Grille – pretty good food, reasonable prices, and there’s a market on site now, which is convenient.
- Belle Marie winery – across the freeway from Welk – we stopped by on the way in and really enjoyed it. $7 for 5 tastes and they were very good, especially the Super Tuscan and the Montage. They get their grapes from the Guadalupe Valley down in Baja.
-Check-in: the staff was friendly, but not helpful – I understood that we were going to be in an 851 square foot 1-bdrm villas for the rate we paid, but instead, they put us in one of the 584-square foot 1-bdrm villa suites, and they would not budge.
-The timeshare tour incentives – read the fine print, if you can find it; the trip to Hawaii is 3 days, midweek, and flying from LAX, not San Diego; the Napa trip doesn’t include air; the Catalina and San Francisco trips are not valid on weekends, and for limited dates. And on top of that, they’re not free, you have to pay $80 or so in taxes.
-The scheduled events often aren’t at the time or location specified, which is frustrating (we had this same problem when we came 5 years ago). For example, when my daughter won the hoola hoop contest, the grand prize was a $2 snow cone, which she was very excited about. We were supposed to redeem it at a certain pool at 2 pm. We intended to go home earlier, but we stayed just to get the snow cone. We showed up at the designated place and time, but there were no snow cones. We were told that they were now at a different pool at 4 pm. At that point, we just went home.
Overall, it’s a fun family resort with plenty of activities
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welk Resort San Diego is a Southern California vacation all suite/villa destination Resort and Water Park offering couples and families the ultimate San Diego getaway experience. Just minutes from world famous destinations San Diego Zoo's Safari Park (20 minutes), LEGOLAND (25 minutes), San Diego Zoo (40 minutes), San Diego Gaslamp District (35 minutes), SeaWorld (40 minutes) Temecula wineries, area casinos, and some of the most beautiful beaches (30 minutes) in the world! Welk Resorts offers luxurious and spacious one and two bedroom villa suites, with panoramic views of golf courses or surrounding mountains. Villas include sitting and dining areas, complete kitchens with full cookware and dishware, patios or balconies, and complimentary WiFi access. Parking is complimentary and there are no resort fees. Guests will experience casual dining at Canyon Grille restaurant or Pizza Hut Express, fun in the sun at Five Clubhouses featuring one colossal pool and seven large pools & 8 spas, two water slides, two kids' splash pads and playgrounds, table games, catch and release fishing pond, hourly planned activities for all age groups, new for 2016 state of the art fitness center, lighted tennis courts, and a relaxing round of golf on one of two 18 hole golf courses. The Welk Resort Theatre is home to top-notch talent performing Broadway style musicals and starring in comedy and variety shows, including tribute bands. During the Summer are music festivals at the Welk Amphitheatre on the Greens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Welk Resort San Diego reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Welk Resort San Diego Hotel Escondido
- Welk Hotel Escondido
- Welk Resort Escondido
- Welk Hotel San Diego