“A Gem”

Alderbrook Manor Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Etna
Alderbrook Manor Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Etna B&B and Inns
Truckee
“A Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Wonderful Bed & Breakfast. Dave & Vicki welcomed us to there lovely place. We were on a 2 day bicycle trip. This was our first leg ot the trip from the Forks of the Salmon River over the Callahan Pass about 60 miles of riding. This was our overnight stop before we returned back to Forks of the Salmon via Etna Pass the next day. What a wonderful surprise. Great hospitality and great food. Our accomodations were lovely. They also cater to hikers and even the Pacific Crest hikers. A beautiful spot in a beautiful valley nestled up against the magnificient Trinity and Marble mountain ranges. A special spot to see in Northern California. We want to come back soon!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank D T

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

I would like to send special thanks to Vickie and Dave who run Alderbrook Manor in Etna, North California. And highly recommend the place: accommodation is excellent, the food is great but above all Vickie and Dave are providing a rare warm and friendly company. You really feel like you are welcome in their home. The area is gorgious if you want to discover "real" and almost untouched sceneries, including the Pacific Crest Trail passing by near to Etna. You cannot find a better place to stay and discover this remote and authentic Scott Valley.
Philippe ROUER (Paris France).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank prouer
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

We had the good fortune to stay at Alderbrook Manor last week. The hosts, Vicki and Dave, made us feel at home before we even got out of the car. They are a very warm and welcoming couple, but not overwhelming. The house and grounds are beautiful and well maintained. We enjoyed walking around town and to dinner at the Etna Brewery. We also had a nice bicycle ride on country roads with virtually no traffic. We will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sebago1
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

My sister, myself and my two sons were visiting Etna for a weekend. We had decided to stay in Etna as a base for hiking in the area. The lovely owners of this bed and breakfast took incredible care of us and we had a fantastic weekend. My sons enjoyed the family dog and wandering the large, beautiful grounds. Breakfast was far above what I expected, little apple pie treats, a great egg scramble and lots of fresh fruit and home grown tomatoes. The home itself is beautiful and relaxed at the same time. The other guests, staying for a local wedding, were also fun to chat with and enjoy breakfast with. We had a good dinner in town at the local brewery and brought a growler of fantastic pale ale back for my husband. My sons, OK, actually all of us, enjoyed the soda fountain in town at the drug store and I had a caramel root beer float... sooo good!!! The hiking was beautiful. We did some local trails at the top of Mt. Etna and also hiked in the Trinity Alps, Lake Gulch Trail, it was beyond beautiful and my son said at one point, that it looked like a storybook scene... sloping grassy meadows going up the sides of the mountain, granite spires, groves of tall pines leading to an alpine lake surrounded by granite cliffs. (my son just sat down and when I said that I was reviewing the place we had stayed at in Etna, he said "that place was awesome!") That pretty much sums up our weekend :-)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank sfsun
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2010

Alderbrook BB is a great place to stay! Vicki and Dave are great host's. The breakfast was hearty and her country potatoes are amazing!! Once you arrive in Etna everything slows down. I felt so relaxed by the natural beauty that surrounded me. Snow capped Mountains, trees and deer everywhere. I enjoyed walking about the spacious grounds with a nice brook. I loved the little woodpecker outside my window letting me know it was time to get ready for a new day. I thnk what I enjoyed most was the fact that this was not another stuffy B & B, I really felt at home. Must Do's in Etna: Go to the Etna Brewery. Bob's serves a pretty decent dinner as well. I missed the drug store with the soda fountain. You gotta save something for next time ;) p.s. Free Wireless and it works great!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Berkeley, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

Although TripAdvisor inexplicably lists this charming b&b in Carmel Valley, Alderbrook Manor is located 450 miles to the north in Etna, a bucolic town of 880 in Scott Valley, Siskiyou County. The Trinity Alps, the Marble Mountains, and the Russian Wilderness are all nearby and offer countless hiking opportunities. Those not inclined to hike can drive the ruggedly scenic 100-mile+ Salmon River Loop or simply hang out and enjoy the pleasures of Etna, which include a traditional soda fountain and an excellent brewpub.

Dave and Vibeke (Vicki) Harrison bought Alderbrook Manor from Joyce Bradley in early 2005, so the b&b is no longer Bradley's but simply Alderbrook Manor. The Harrisons are exemplary hosts in a town noted for its friendliness (strangers on the street will greet you with the "Etna wave"). In their spacious Victorian house they offer four beautifully furnished guest rooms, each decorated in a different theme and all very comfortable and spotlessly clean.

We arrived in Etna on a scorching day of 102°F and were delighted to find the house surrounded by trees and lawns and an air conditioner in our room. Vicki thoughtfully provides bottled water, replenished daily, in the guest rooms.

The atmosphere at Alderbrook Manor is decidedly informal, and much of the social activity (including summer breakfasts) centers around the big glass table on the deep, shady porch. If you feel like socializing, you can often meet a local friend or two of the hosts' on the porch around 5 pm, when the Harrisons treat their guests to a glass of wine or a bottle of beer. Hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail stop here for a day or two, enlivening the social mix.

Decidedly the highlight of the day at Alderbrook Manor is breakfast. We have stayed in many b&bs and enjoyed numerous excellent breakfasts, but none can beat Vicki Harrison's gargantuan morning feasts for sheer variety and finger-licking, lip-smacking enjoyment. In addition to freshly made fruit salad, freshly baked biscuits, hash browns, and orange juice, we had eggs benedict on the first morning, a glorious broccoli fritatta the second day, and scrambled eggs, bacon, and grilled tomatoes with collard greens on the third.

We hope to return to Siskiyou County, and Alderbrook Manor is where we'll stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2008

This is a beautiful old historic victorian home just on the edge of town. It has a large wrap around porch to sit and enjoy the fresh air. The house is large, beautifully decorated and spotless. But what really makes the place special is the hosts, Dave and Vickie. From the moment we arrived they treated us like family, and as we left, it was like saying goodbye to your favorite relatives. I am already missing this place and can't wait to go back. It is within walking distance to the small town, and Vickies' breakfasts are amazingly delicious. 5 Stars!

• Liked — The hosts
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Alderbrook Manor Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!