“definitely NOT a bed and breakfast!!!”
Review of Eureka Inn

Eureka Inn
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The room was decent. But only ONE mirror in the whole room. Our room was probably the furthest away from the lobby....seemed like 1/4 mile hauling our luggage all over. We had no guide for the Tv stations...the spa/jacuzzi was out of order...??? AND the breakfast was a joke! Worst continental breakfast ever! Don't pay extra to stay in this " bed & breakfast" cuz it definitely was not!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Victoria A
There are newer reviews for Eureka Inn

Reviewed 28 January 2014

...still less than "Very Good." I give it an extra point for its location off noisy Hwy 101. I like staying at historic places so preferred the Inn over the budget lodging along Hwy 101 that literally cuts through Eureka. The Inn was built in 1922, and retains some of its charms, although the refurbishing could have been a lot better. The room was decent but basic, with loud heating unit and locks with actual metal keys (how quaint nowadays). "Breakfast" included drinkable coffee and stale pastries. Again, the location is decent and within a few block walk from the great little bistro Brick & Fire.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sfyan
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I had heard that the inn had been remodeled and was excited to try out the new place. I'm in Eureka once a month and looking for a regular place to stay. When we checked in I felt a bit hesitant as it smelled musty and we were the only people around. Our room appeared nice but old. You can only remodel old to a point, so it was nice and I should say, has great potential. We laughed about how it felt haunted and kinda creepy and then decided to read the reviews. We laughed even harder after that. The reviews are spot on! This place feels haunted! One of the reviews mentioned the curtains don't close all the way and we were reading it as I was tugging at the curtains. So funny!!! The beds were comfortable for me but my son who is 6'2" was hanging off the bed from his knees down. Thats just wierd!!...My other son and his grandbaby came to the hotel to visit and we were not comfortable putting the baby on the floor at all. The room needs some serious steam cleaning. The bathrooms were nicely remodeled, but very small. One small mirror. The room itself had NO mirrors. I thought this has to be owned by a Man. No woman would remodel a room and not have mirrors. The clencher was the next morning. I showered and left the room to find coffee. My son was going to shower while I was gone. As I opened the door and stepped in to the 3rd floor hallway a chinese man approached me rapidly asking " You takin showa in ther?....I was a bit stunned at his approach and it took me a minute to respond. I answered "Yes, isn't that what people do when they stay at a hotel? He seemed overwhelmed and confused and asked the same question over and over. I was put off by this and waved him away and headed downstairs. When I reached the second floor I was startled to see a wall of water falling from the 3rd floor above to the lobby below. The man followed and said the shower was leaking to the lobby. Somehow a pipe had broken. Another guest was on his cell phone calling his wife to shower before they turned off the water. I returned to my room to tell my son and he said, I paid for a shower and I'm taking one. Its the chinese dude's problem now. LOL!!! I spoke to the lady at the front desk and expressed my disappointment nicely. She mentioned the owner was the chinese man and he had only one maintenance man. Thats it? I asked? Funny how I knew this place could use a woman's touch ...you can feel it. When I talked with the chinese man I reasoned with him and said I know you are trying to get this place up and running and I would stay here again if you lowered your price. This hotel is not prepared and does not qualify to charge the same rate as the RED LION. If you lower your prices more people would stay for the reasonable price and would understand its a work in progress. I feel that its worth giving a chance. Since i'm here once a month to visit my grandbaby, I would pay $79 a night to stay here. His response to me was, NO I cannot do that!!! I again said, if you want people to return to your hotel you need to provide incentive. More people would return at $79 a night, but not at $100 plus per night. I would just go to red lion for that. He said absolutely not. My response to him was....We will see how that works out for you. Good luck!! I won't return to this place and i'm worried the floor will drop out at this point. Unsafe. Its not prepared for a large amount of people as I believe there were only 2 or 3 rooms filled the night we stayed. In fact the front desk lady looked me square in the eye and said "It can't be water coming from room 305, no one is in there" That is the room she put us in the night before. Just plain bad all the way around.

Room Tip: I have no advice on this one LOL! definately not room 305. The piples are connected to them all so...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Terri M
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I think when the refurbishment is done, it will be beautiful. It definitely has character. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was haunted. My brother and I kept saying things to each other like, "I don't want to go there, Mrs. Torrence!" and "Red Rum!"

The lobby does have a lot of character. The fire place and historical mural over the mantle are beautiful and give it the charm of being in an old, English lodge. I enjoyed seeing the old, sit in telephone booths and operator switch board, as well as other artifacts they had.

However, there is an old hotel smell about it and internet connection is spotty at best.

Like I said - interesting place, glad I stayed there. But I don't think I'd go back any time soon. I keep waiting to turn on "Ghost Adventures" on night and see that Zack and the boys are doing an "investigation" there.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank renrenpink
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We booked this hotel after seeing it listed in the National Register. We didn't check tripadvisor....big mistake.
You can still see a glimmer of it's previous glory in the lobby. Most of the light fixtures etc have long since been sold off. Starting at the elevator- chipping and peeling paint. As we exited the elevator , we are greeted by vending machines just sitting in the hall. Our renovated room had kmart furniture, the wavy walls had been quickly wallpapered over and the bathroom redo had a thin coat of paint that didn't quite cover. The room door had a dead bolt at one time but it had since been removed, leaving the hole on the inside of the door and on the outside the hole was covered with a piece of metal. The only door lock was the entrance set that anyone can open with a credit card- no chain lock either.
There were so few people staying here that it was creepy.
This is so sad to see a once grand establishment fall into such disrepair.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Pollyruth
Reviewed 5 November 2013

After reading the reviews of this place, I was a little put off. However, I am glad we did stay. We had a lovely room, completely redone. It was a little cold, the front desk provided us with a lovely heater. We had a fine drink in the bar, plus a nice dinner. Yes, the breakfast is not huge, but the coffee was good, and fruit juice, oatmeal rolls, what was not to like

Room Tip: isit with Lynette at the front desk, Assistant Manager. Lovely lady!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The manager seemed to try hard to please and the room was spacious. The view was OK, not spectacular. The lobby has a musty, unpleasant smell, the sheets were part polyester, and the room was not nearly as clean as I would like.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo