“Much potential”
Review of Eureka Inn

Eureka Inn
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed 5 August 2014

OK... This is going to have good things and bad things to say. First, let me say I love, love old hotels. They have a certain charm not found easily. The (kind of new) owners are spending tons of money (according to staff) on renovating the hotel. The lobby has a turn of the (last century) charm that is wonderful. High ceilings, old world charm, a great fireplace and nice leather furniture, lends itself to settling in with a good book. The rooms need some work but seem to be tolerable. The restaurant is decent for a hotel restaurant and the staff are fantastic. Well located, it is walking distance to Old Town Eureka and all the wonderful art galleries and restaurants. Also, check out the art museum across the street and please talk with Dennis, the gallery store manager ( he is such a delight!). I think it will be great in a year but is just fine now.

Room Tip: Just talk with the desk person
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just got home from a weekend at the eureka inn. Hotel is great step back in time. Glad they are restoring things. Room was updated and nice. Bathroom small but doable. Sink top could be bigger. Wifi didn't work at all but that's ok we were there to relax. Only disappointment was that after having my room cleaned my body wash and expensive face cream was missing, reported to the manager on duty. Let's see if she handles it or follows up?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alancamille
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The staff was very friendly and our room and bathroom, although small, were clean and modernized. Wifi was terrible. Continental breakfast below average. I was a little uneasy about the neighborhood. There was a an old motel across the street that was fenced off, ugly and closed down. Parking was across the street in back of the hotel with only a few spaces in the small lot adjacent to the hotel. We took everything into the room, out of the car. I called ahead to see if there was a pool. There is but it was closed for repair and will be for the rest of the summer according to the person working at the desk. We peeked into the dining room and it was a lovely old fashioned room and the front desk gave us coupons. It looked very formal though and we wanted casual that night. To get to the main lobby in the front of the hotel you go up a flight of steps. Our room was in the back of the hotel facing a side street. We could hear everyone walking by and their conversations with our window closed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had a great time. It was the people and how friendly they all were. The hotel was built back in 1922 and has a great interior and is quite impressive, however you do not have to pay for it when you get to your room. The carpet, New. The bed and bedding, New. The bathroom newly refurbished and clean. And again the people could of not been more helpful and friendly

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RonLancaster
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We just came in for one evening while traveling on to Oregon. Thought it was great! Very original with tons of memorabilia from days gone by. Everyone was very friendly. Rooms were small, but clean. The hotel bar is apparently the place to be on Friday nights...all the locals come. So our room was a little noisy, but it didn't bother us much.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OHchickinCA
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Friday June 13, 2014

Since the Eureka Inn was built in 1922 it has been touted as a historic architectural landmark of national importance. My Grandmother recalls the regal interior and impressive stature of the building when it was new and first opened for guests. If she were to stay there now, I’m sure she would be sorely disappointed, just as I was for my third and final stay. The experience was an absolute disaster, deserving complete loss of respect.

Thursday evening, we arrived late after driving ten hours from Monterey. Instead of lodging elsewhere earlier in the evening, we committed ourselves to make the effort to reach the Inn, because it was the "destination" in keeping with tradition. When we parked in the front drive, we were shocked at how loud the music was. Waiting at the front desk, we noticed several people in costume exit the Palm Lounge. We asked, “Is this typical?” The night manager said, “it is for Throwback Thursdays.” So I requested a quiet room away from the music. The manager obliged, saying he would upgrade our room.

After we brought our bags up the elevator, we found our room on the third floor. It was directly above the Lounge (some "up-grade") and you could still hear the music. Needing to retrieve a battery charger from the car, I decided to get some ice on the way. The ice machine was broken and looked like it had been for some time. I continued downstairs to my car. Outside the hotel several of the party people, who looked more like delinquents, were having their smokes. Several more people parked on the street and approached the building, but not before parking a half dozen beer cans on the front step.

When I returned to the front desk, I asked the manager about some ice. He said there is a bin inside the dining room. When we walked in the dimly lit room, it was obvious that this was more than a dining room, it was where people smoke their other drugs. While I contemplated checking out then and there, I asked the manager, “So, how long is this party going to last?” He replied, “they will turn the music down about 11 O’clock.” I thought that’s fine, since it would be less than 30 minutes.

Back at the room, we agreed that we would stay on account of the manager’s promise. Meanwhile, we tried to access the wi-fi with no success, so we watched some news on the television. By 11:00, the music was still pounding 80’s. By midnight the music had not stopped and although my spouse had finally fallen to sleep, I could not. Like an angry neighbor calling the cops, I decided against marching downstairs to demand an end to the party, concerned that the rough necks, who recognized me, might have trashed my car.

The music did not stop until 1:30 am. I did not get to sleep until 2:00 am. Even then the party people were loitering in the street, where I had parked my car in front of the Inn.

The following morning there was another couple at the desk ready to check-out. We overheard them questioning the day manager about the loud music. They did not look happy and neither were we. Even if we had wanted to take a swim in the pool (which I had done previously) it was closed. We even decided against having breakfast in the Stoner’s Lounge (the back room is a mess and deserves a health inspection).

Beware that Eureka Inn still collects a security deposit at check-in, which requires that you attend a check-out. So when the day manager asked, “How was your stay?” I had plenty to say ready to demand a deep discount. “Where, here? What is here? Is this a Hotel with a Night Club or is this a Night Club with a Hotel? With all the riff-raff you have running around here until all hours of the night, I might have mistaken this place for a Brothel. How do you think… was our stay?” He looked away and excused himself.

When he returned, he at first attempted to dismiss my discontent and when I demand a discount he declined, making more excuses. When I threatened him with legal recourse on multiple accounts on failed service and promises made, he woke up, cut the bull and obliged. What we paid as a settlement was still an awful value; we just wanted to get the hell out of there without further violation of our dignity.

Although the Eureka Inn was a prestigious place to stay, historically, it has lost is splendor and is rotting its way into filth and grunge. If you are contemplating a visit there to be an experience worth remembering or worth repeating, I’d say no, not ever again. If you are contemplating a visit to the historic Eureka Inn, run for your life, maintain your sanity and forget about keeping with tradition. But if you like drama, this is your ticket, this one is an absolute disaster... it’s a guaranteed nightmare!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Lance F
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We thought it would be nice to stay at the Eureka Inn in the old part of Eureka. It is a very large hotel built in the 1920's. The person checking us in was very welcoming and efficient as well as proud of the hotel itself. The lobby has a large fireplace that has been retro-fitted with a gas fire. The registration area has a set of pigeon holes behind the desk for real keys. No magnetic key here, this is the real thing. The first room we had had a series of problems, that we addressed one at a time. But finally, it was suggested that we move to a new recently re-furbished room on the third floor.

The new room was fitted with a king bed like the previous one, but was a bit smaller overall. Being an old hotel, there is a dearth of electric plugs so, we had a power strip to allow us to use the tea kettle, light and clock. The windows looked out over the downtown and were single pane
windows so the heater in the wall was valuable on the cool nights.

There was one large chair in the room and a chair for the computer table. With the exception of the dim lighting and lack of electric plugs, the room was fine. The bed and bathroom were clean and fresh, The hall carpeting was in need of refurbishment.

Down stairs their is a cafe that is like a art deco movie set of the 30's. Quite elegant.

THe WIFI was difficult to connect to, and needed to be restarted but eventually was stable.

The room comes with a continental breakfast that was bread/english muffin, croissants and donuts that were not worth the effort. There was yoghurt and dry cereal that was fine. The breakfast room could do with some cheering up.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple