Bayview Motel
US$207
US$106
US$212
US$205
All reviewsbay viewbar sinkkitchen facilitiesgas fireplacedeluxe kingsecond levellarge bathroomroad tripmicrowave oventhe main draglove seatshort staybusy roadstay there againgreat place to staycoffee makerstreet noise
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Yes, the Bayview does in fact have a view of Humboldt Bay. Unfortunately, it also has a view of a large warehouse and a parking lot full of shipping containers on the edge of the bay, and of some kind of smokestack across the bay. Not that any of that is the motel's fault, of course, but is wasn't quite the beautiful view we had expected. Although the motel is right off 101, it was pretty quiet at night.
That aside, my wife and I were quite pleased with our stay. The room was comfortable and very clean, and nicely laid out so there was a door on the east side of the building opening to the parking lot, and a door on the west side of the building opening to a nice grassy area, which was very convenient since we were travelling with dogs. The owners were very friendly and provided a lot of information about local hiking in the Redwoods, and even had a pamphlet and map from the park service showing where we could bring our dogs. The drive into old town Eureka on 101 can be slow, but one of the other streets through town, A or E I think, also runs into downtown. Probably not any faster but a lot pleasanter.
I noticed that there were some dreadful reviews about this place a number of years ago. Based on our experience with the very pleasant owners, I've got to suspect that it is under new ownership since those reviews were written.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steven C
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night at Bayview. They accepted our 5 lb Maltese. Was a great place. Large spacious rooms and lots of grass out back door. YES we had 2 doors! Beds were comfirtable and hosts were very gracious. Would definately stay again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Really clean, well kept suite with excellent amenities. A courteous, friendly staff that were welcoming and helpful. Good parking spaces. The hotel is lacated near a busy highway, so light sleepers may be affected, especially during the early morning rush hour. Nonetheless the Bayview Motel is my choice for future stay in Hombolt county.

Room Tip: The suite down stairs is quieter than the upstairs suite.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2014

When I arrived it was at night in December so even with my navigator, I drove right by. The sign is small, close to the ground, not lit and between two residential houses. I followed the road between the houses to the office. It was a bit strange to be checked in inside a home family room but one of the owners (a lady) couldn't have been nicer. When I got to my room it was very pleasant. Large, decorated well, clean and the bed was comfortable . There is no microwave, which is odd since they have no breakfast offered. The lights are in the ceiling. Nice and well lit from above, but no end table lamps.

Yes, there is a lot of traffic on 101 so if you are bothered by that, bring ear plugs. The first night was fine but the second night, It sounded like (and felt a little like) I was on the frozen tundra. The stripping around the balcony door was non existent. The wind howled all night and I got no sleep. I even taped the sound and when I play it for anyone, they find it hard to believe I was actually inside my room it is so loud. I did tell the lady the next morning and she said they would change out the weather stripping but too late for me. Again she was very nice.

It is very close to food and shopping but can be very noisy.

Room Tip: I was on the 2nd floor so maybe a ground floor would not hear as much noise. I believe almost all if not all rooms have a back door facing 101.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Katie M
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Excellent lodging at good rate. Stayed here 12-15 years ago in a mid-century motel building. Same owners demolished that and built a well-designed replacement. Large rooms thoughtfully arranged, each with Bay view and outside patio/porch. Location abuts residential neighborhood, on a hill above US101 across from Bayshore Mall. Din of traffic below not bothersome. Must drive to restaurants a few blocks away but worth any inconvenience this may present. Friendly staff. Will return again within a year.

Room Tip: Always good to ask for room away from stairs to second floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends