“Hmmmmmm...”

Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We rode into Eureka to meet up with another person...went to the Harley store to check it out and were told to stay here at The Humboldt Bay Best Western, it was the only hotel in town they recommended. We checked in and got a good room where we could park our motorcycle in front of the window. The room was a little dark, but clean and comfortable. hen we got back from dinner that evening we were relaxing with the door open and some girl comes up to the door and begs to "change her pants" in our room. Proclaiming she was not a freak or weirdo and to trust her, she had ink spilled all over her and just needed somewhere to change. RED FLAGS!! So we told her sorry, no..and she did move on. I called the office right away to report her..they sounded shocked and said they would send security out right away to check. The next morning I asked the desk upon checkout if they had found her...she knew nothing about it but apologized. Our friend stayed in another room across the property and told us the same thing had happened to him. The hotel seems to sit in city center and may have some seedy elements that hang out...not sure. We would stay there again, but maybe not keep the door open to enjoy the fresh air. You never know anymore.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marione M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)

999 - 1,005 of 1,158 reviews

Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

At first we were put-off after driving over 8 hours to find our room was not ready by 4:00 P.M. Waited an hour and finally able to check into room. Wow...very nice for the price. Large and spacious. The breakfast was nice with waffles and cereal and toast. Very nice pastries, from a bakery. Very nice sitting area outside with heat lamps. Staff friendly and helpful. Just don't eat at Kristine's , it was not anything but an overpriced Denny's . Go into town since so many fun places to eat at. Loved the old town area. Oh, the hotel was very clean and well maintained!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Eureka is definitely a coastal town as advertised. We live east of redding, so it was nice to be in a cooler climate in the middle of summer. the hotel had a great pool area...our children kept busy by playing water basketball and billiards in their rec area. My husband loved the workout room as he could see us thru the glass walls as we were in pool area. The highllight was by far the free limo use for dinner...we went to dinner and then to a sweet place for dessert...again, kids loved it! Our room was plenty big enough for the four of us and the large screen tv was great too. Breakfast room was new and clean and food was good.

Room Tip: the rooms with queens are larger and better for families than the rooms with 2 double beds
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Had a wonderful experience here! Reasonably priced compared to other hotels in area. Lived up to all our expectations of a motel! Great tv, wifi reception everywhere, there was even a pool table in the lounge area! hot water and coffee for free 24 hours a day, and we really enjoyed the continental breakfast a lot of variety. We stayed for three nights, and i was able to eat something different every morning! Also, it's really conveniently located and in a safe area :)

Room Tip: You get what you pay for right? The place doesn't advertise itself as a five star high class ho...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Ticked all the boxes! We stayed on June 29 and found the hotel to be clean and welcoming. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. We were in the USA for a month and this was one of the best hotels we have stayed at.
The rooms well equipped and clean. We managed to park outside our room which was a bonus. We never eat the hotel breakfasts but I did go across to the breakfast room for orange juice and it looked a good selection of fare on offer there. The hotel offers a complimentary limo if you want to eat in town which is a nice touch but we ate at the restaurant next door which was good. I found the guest computer very useful as well. Would definitely go back there. We really enjoyed our stay .

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda g
Reviewed 20 July 2012

My husband and I discovered this particular Best Western 5 years ago as we prepared to move to northern California. It was a great place then and has gotten even better! As to my current stay; on 10 July we ended up in the emergency room here in Eureka with my husband suffering from a sudden illness. As soon as UI realized this was going to be a long ordeal, I got on the hospital's WiFi and booked a room. When I arrived at the BW Plus Humboldt BAY Inn at about 10:30 that night I discovered that I had booked my room for the next day! The lovely young lady at the desk found a room for me and even went outside to make sure there was a parking space close to my room. EVERYONE here has gone out of their way to make me feel at home. I love this place!!! By the way, the next time we are in Eureka, we plan to stay here and take advantage of the free Limo ride to and from dinner. Needless to say, I would highly recommend this Best Western to anyone.

Thanks so much,

S & S Fox

Room Tip: I have stayed in two different buildings and liked both. One was upstairs and one on ground level.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My husband noticed footprints in the tub after his shower and realized his feet were black after walking barefoot in the room. By the next morning his allergies to dust & mold had kicked in so badly he had to call his physician for a prescription. We left our room just before noon and returned around 6pm to find that it had not been cleaned. I went to the front desk to report this and the staff member on duty went into defense mode. Woah! She actually retrieved the housekeeper's chart, and pointed out to me that the cleaning person checked that our door had a Do Not Disturb sign on it. I guess if the housekeeper wrote it, it must be a fact. No, I explained, we removed it and left before noon. Is there a deadline for housekeeping? They see the sign on and don't check again? Housekeeping, the clerk tells me, leaves at 4:30 and no one is on staff to clean our room tonight. Not even a "sorry". I requested another room. She said they were full (the sign said Vacancy) except for the "Bridal Suite" which iwas $250; she said that because it was too late to rent our room (the one that wasn't made up today) so they would have to charge us for BOTH rooms. First of all there's no way I'd pay $250/night for any room at this establishment, second no way I'm paying for 2 rooms and third, I want to sleep in a cleaned room. She finally says she'll see if the handyman is still on premises and maybe he can make up the room. Five minutes later the handyman showed up like a trooper to change the towels, glassware & make up the bed. ( He is the only star this place earned on my review.). The front desk person ended up helping him as well. Housekeeping showed up the remaining 2 days of our stay, however less was done each day: the empty box of tissue was left empty, and four bathrobes were left in place of towels. I can say with certainty that our room was not vacuumed once during our stay, as I had dropped some loose threads in the middle of the floor when unpacking the first night, which were in the same place when we left. I did not see any housekeeper with a vacuum cleaner as I walked past neighboring rooms that were being serviced while I was there.

One last thing. In the breakfast room was a bowl of hardboiled eggs that were already peeled. This really made my skin crawl. Sure they don't want the eggshells all over the place (cuz then they'd have to use a vacuum cleaner), but did the person who peeled the eggs wear gloves or even wash their hands? Then the other guests - little kids?- pick out the eggs. Those things then need to be washed thoroughly before eating. We're in the healthcare profession. We passed on the eggs.

Two things you can't afford to have in the hospitality industry: dirty rooms and a staff with attitude. We'll pass on staying here again, too.

Room Tip: sleep in your vehicle
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank yentamay
ChrisBWPHBI, Manager at Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

We appreciate your feedback, as it truly does help us improve our Inn. When our housekeeper worked in the building that you were staying, she did see the "do not disturb" sign on your door and did check it several times. She was unaware that you removed at a later time. She could have checked it one last time before leaving for the day or call your room to make sure that you did not want service. We apologize. On your return later that evening, when you reported the incident to the front desk, we did send two people up to your room to clean it for you as our housekeeping does leave at 4:30pm. All of our rooms are vacuumed daily. Our carpets are on a schedule to be shampooed often.
Our hard-boiled eggs in the breakfast room come to us fresh, prepackaged & already shelled. Our breakfast attendant does not handle them, except to put them in the decorative covered bowl (she uses tongs to do this). Besides the eggs, we serve fresh waffles, jimmy dean egg & sausage sandwiches, hot oatmeal, cold cereals, yoplait yogurt, fresh fruit, and much more.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eureka
2 mi away
Red Lion Hotel Eureka
#5 of 21 in Eureka
Town House Motel - Historic Old Town
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA

Been to Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn? Share your experiences!