“Rip Off” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Berlin, Germany
“Rip Off”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

It was busy and full in Eureka, still no reason to charge rip off prices for shabby rooms. We got a smoking room for over $90 which was worth $50 the most! Carpet was filled with holes of smoking, just like the bedding. Super loud location, didn't feel too safe at all. "Breakfast" is non-existent.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ReginaSch
Resham D, General Manager at Econo Lodge Eureka by the Humboldt Bay, responded to this review, 11 July 2013

Econo lodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Locust Grove, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

We were very tired from 10 hours driving south on Rt. 101 so we thought grab a quick bite to eat and get to bed early. Great plan but Rt.101 splits in Eureka. South bound goes down 2nd St and North bound goes up 3rd St. The Econo Lodge is located between these busy streets. Room 201, 202 and 203 sit only the sidewalk width from the South bound highway. We had room 202. Even with the airconditioner running there was no way to sleep until after 10PM when the trucks got off the road. Then at 630AM first the cars the the truck started up again. At least we did not have to worry about over sleeping.
The room was large but very sparcely furnished. There was a full kitchen with a full size refrigerator but sort of beat up. The room was clean, smelled ok and had no mold in the bathroom. All rooms are accessed from outside with no elevator.
The breakfast was a joke, cold pasteries and coffee. The pasteries are cut in half to keep you from eating too much. There was no decaf, which I prefer. We went next door to Mc Donalds for breakfast.
Two stars is being generious. I would stay here again in a pinch but would not pay more than $45 a night max.

Room Tip: If you stay here make sure you are not put in 201, 202 or 203. While in Eureka go to the old downtow...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Randyclements

Econo lodge

Travellers are raving about these Eureka hotels

Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

We were traveling around California in August staying in low budget motels alternating between Choice and another chain. From these reviews I was quite concerned about whether this motel met minimum standards and we planned one night's stay only. We consider clean, safe and reasonably quiet rooms as mandatory in low budget chain motels. Comfortable beds are a plus. Our room met our basic requirement and the bed was very good. Everything was clean, we had a microwave and refrig which were great, the price was a little high, but everything else around was higher. The door was good and solid and the dead-bolt lock was sound. We were concerned about smell because of prior reviews, but the only smell we noticed was a cleaning solution. The carpet in our room needs to be replaced. This motel is not at the top of the Choice Hotel food chain but we didn't pay for top of the line. Breakfast was better than at other Econo Lodges; the best Econo Lodge breakfast we had. We took our selections back to our room and ate there. We dealt with two people at the registration desk. The younger man was more outgoing and friendlier. It is his service I am rating. Since we wanted to spend more time in the area, we extended our stay one more night and stayed in this motel the second night. We'd stay here again.

Room Tip: One section of the motel abuts a busy highway. We were in that section, but we were so tired the tr...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Barry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

My room was clean, clean sheets, clean bathroom, clean surfaces, clean fridge and microwave.

Bed was good, booked a double queen to get 2 pillows each and a bit more stretching space.

This hotel cost me $75 and in Motel lanuage that was expensive, but it was memorial weekend and that meant it was time to rip off everything and everyone that was moving on our planet, so I guess is was horses for courses.

Yes, I would stay again, but it would be on a need basis, Breakfast is billy basic and served at the motel check in office, that has to be the pitts to start with, come on, who wants to eat a beakfast next to the check in desk!

What's it worth, well in june 2012 $50+tax

If visiting eureka then be prepared for a bit of nostalgia, it's old and rundown with some signs of down and outs on the streets.

Enjoy - UK world traveler

Room Tip: Bring an iron and hairdryer unless you wish to trust your luck at reception. Place to stop over if...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Resham D, General Manager at Econo Lodge Eureka by the Humboldt Bay, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
> We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was
> unsatisfactory. I appreciate you taking the time to advise us of your
> dissatisfaction. There is never an excuse for providing a valued
> guest, such as you, with anything less than a perfect experience. We
> are sorry that you received service that promoted you to contact us
> with a complaint, and we regret any inconvenience or frustration that
> your experience has caused you. To ensure that our staff conducts
> itself in a manner that reflects the high regard that we have for our
> coustmers.
> We credit our success in the lodging industry to providing good
> service and quality accommodations at affordable prices. We appreciate
> your willingness to take the time to let us know where improvement is
> needed so that we may continue to maintain our high standards.
> We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you and have taken
> corrective action to ensure that this incident will not occur in the
> future. We sincerely hope you will give us an opportunity in the near
> future to extend our hospitality.
> Sincerely,
> management
Sonoma, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

The room smelled strongly of cat urine even after opening the door and windows and turning on the fan. It was uninhabitable. The manager was rude and said too bad, you can't cancel, there is a 24 hour cancellation policy. I wound up just leaving and rented a room at the Motel 6 down the street for $10 dollars cheaper and the room was clean, warm and smelled like nothing other than fresh air. I wasted $62 dollars and never slept at the hotel.

Room Tip: Never stop here
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Mary Sue U

Arcata, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

So I arrived late on a Monday night after a long trip from home. I was exhausted! The man greeted me coldly and checked me in. Before I could walk away however he told me "No parties" I told him I just wanted a good nights sleep. I went to my room and noticed right away how absolutely frigid it was. I cranked up the heater and got out my sleeping bag seeing as how the bedding looked questionable at best. I looked around at the dingy room and wasn't impressed. The light in the bathroom barely worked and by that I mean you were lucky if it came on at all. So after crawling into my sleeping bag I quickly fell asleep. The next morning I awoke and called the front desk to ask for a late checkout which the same man allowed me another half an hour. I was surprised at that and yet he still was very rude to me over the phone. I took a shower and was disgusted by the towels which were stained with what looked like grease. I quickly got my gear together and got the hell out of there. I turned in my key and wanted to just say hey I am checking out. The same man didn't even acknowledge me or say thanks for staying. So in summary I would not recommend this place and if you're going to stay bring a sleeping bag or extra blanket, lysol and a tough skin.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Jonathan C
Pismo Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

this hotel is not a relaxing experience! clean and tidy as it is the comings and goings of dubious characters in rooms above and beside us was disconcerting to say the least... Pool was clean and as a keen early morning swimmer I was glad of that. The management needs to get their act together and clean up their guest list!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple