“Worst Motel 6 that I have ever stayed in.”
Review of Motel 6 Eureka

Motel 6 Eureka
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

When we pulled in to the lot the area looked suspect. The parking lot was crowded and small. There was an abandoned car in the parking lot.

The room: stains on carpet, small, old beds, cheap linens and bedding. Towels were old- more like towels you'd use to dust.

The bathroom was cramped, almost to the point of being unuseful.

Avoid this place! Thank goodness there is a Holiday Inn Express going in and they will put this motel (hopefully) out of its misery.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank heathgirly

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Check-in was very slow, lots of bums hanging around. No A/C.

The room had a wet dog smell that never went away. What's the point of having non smoking rooms that stink anyway.

Ring ahead for a top floor if you really must stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs away from the road.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank garthpen
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Eureka, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Dear garthpen - Thank you for sharing your review. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant stay you had as a result of the slow check-in process, odor and maintenance issues you experienced. These issues are certainly not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality. We encourage you to contact our guest relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide our guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

This is coming from a local: I stayed here several times while I was in the process of finding an apartment during the fall of 2010. The facilities are pretty much what you'd expect for a budget motel: basic. The condition of the place was not exactly 'immaculate' but it was serviceable. The bathroom was clean and the shower worked well. Personally I choose to use a sleeping bag when staying in economy establishments, but that's not a comment on this Motel 6's upkeep. Eureka Natural Foods supermarket (excellent deli/salad/hot bar) is just across the parking lot and there are several other restaurants close by. The office staff were friendly enough considering what I imagine they deal with on a regular basis. Notably they allow dogs (without size/breed restrictions) which was mandatory for my needs at the time. If you're in the same position I can assure you that your options are very limited around here.

To those reviewers who’ve stated it's a terrible place, I say: "you get what you pay for". If you expect top notch accommodations, an ocean view and a mint on your pillow, cough up double or triple the cost of a room here and stay at the Eureka Inn or the Carter House. The Red Lion is also a nice option (especially for those traveling with 105lb+ Staffordshire Bull Terriers like myself) but again, it'll run you $20/$40 more per night. The surrounding neighborhood isn't amazing but it's not particularly horrible either. It's a heavily trafficked stretch of Highway 101 people, get a grip. I'd definitely advise that you lock your car but that's common sense no matter where you're staying. If you’re exceptionally sensitive and/or prejudiced against people of modest means you should probably point your Mercedes* and your elevated nose towards one our town’s finer hotels.

I paid $49+tax/per night when I stayed there and I got what I expected: cheap and decent lodging, nothing more, nothing less. There is an annoying fee to use the wifi but c’est la vie, that’s life in economy class. It costs extra for more than one person to stay too so they kinda get’cha there, but to be fair “one adult” is written in huge letters on the rate sign out front so don’t act surprised. “It ain’t the Four Seasons”, but this is FAR from the worst place in Eureka to spend a night. Anybody who’s lived around here for more than a week or two will tell you the same thing.

*This is a response to the traveler who had the impression that “...you won’t be treated any better if you drive up in an $80,000.00 Mercedes.” Seriously? If you’re driving an $80,000.00 Mercedes and staying at a Motel 6 you're either clueless, cheap, or on the run.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Jason G
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Go somewhere else. Anywhere else. Maybe a street corner because you'll never sleep here.

Between people staying up and talking/smoking outside of the rooms, strange smells, broken/run down accommodations and construction... this is the place that sleep goes to die and sketchy individuals go to boogy.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. That's my advice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Rachel M
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I travel with a 100 pound dog, so I often visit Red Roof and Motel 6 due to their generous pet policy. I originally had a reservation at the Motel 6 in Arcata, CA. However, when I arrived, the location was full of zombie looking drug addicts, and the area was rather loud and noisy. I decided that the location in Eureka could not be worse, so I canceled the reservations for Arcata, and I drove to Eureka. Bad decision. The drug addicted, low income, scumbags at this place were beyond anything I have ever seen. They were hanging out in front of their rooms and smoking, and crack addicts (best description I can think of) were waling around bare foot and in their underwear (no exaggeration here). At the front desk, I was asked for the ID of me and my guest. I was told that it was a "High crime area," and ID was needed for security reasons. High crime area is the exact term that was used. I was also told that security patrolled the property, so I would be safe. Really? I saw that another reviewer thought this (security patrolled lot) was a positive, and to that, all I can do is shake my head. As others have stated, my non smoking room was smelly, dirty, and in need of repair. I went out and bought a candle to mask the smell, and I sat awake most of the night, in anticipation of getting the hell out of dodge. I cannot stress enough what a bad area this is, and for all intent and purposes, stay the hell out of this town.

Room Tip: I implore you not to stay here. If you do, get a room that allows a view of your car. Do not leave a...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Clay C
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We were looking for a place to stay to rest after a long drive from OR to SF. Tried most places in Eureka which were full, the motel 6 had a few rooms left which should've given us pause enough. The service was the ONLY good thing about this place. Nothing special, but he was at least pleasant and in the end did give us a refund. The security guard gave us sideways looks, there were a few shady characters that pushed the curtains aside to watch us unload the car. When we finally opened the door to our room, it reeked like a cigarette though was a nonsmoking room. Didn't step two steps in. Tried another room (again, service was pleasant and let us do this) but it reeked worse. My girlfriend waited in the locked car while I did this.
We did get a refund. But only after waiting for a drunk couple to check in before us. Overall, still feel a little dirty for having been here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Zak F
Reviewed 5 August 2012

we stopped at this motel solely because we needed a place to sleep on our drive between san francisco and the oregon coast. it was late when we arrived so we were happy that check in was quick. the receptionist was friendly enough but my boyfriend and i thought something was strange about the burly security guard lurking around.

after leaving the office we moved the car closer to our room and started to unload our bags to take inside. as we were leaving the first load in the room and heading back out to the car, the security guard appeared out of the shadows and mumbled something i didn't quite hear. it seemed like he was checking up on us. keep in mind that our room was located at the back of the property and the neighbourhood seemed quite shady, so it gave us both an uneasy feeling to have him suddenly appear and question who we were or whatever it was he was doing. when i asked if there was a problem he rudely mumbled that he was just doing his job. i pointed out that he just saw us at reception so clearly we were guests. he ignored me and walked away.

when we had finished unloading the car we locked the door securely behind us and wondered what we had signed ourselves up for. the room was dark and dingy. my boyfriend did the usual bedbug check (this is something we've learned to do, knowing that even posh hotels worldwide can have bedbugs) and the mattress cover slipped off. he quickly put it back, we got ready for bed and left as soon as we could first thing the following morning. later that day he said that the mattress was disgusting with brown stains all over it. i guess he didn't want me to see it at the time, knowing i'd have marched down to the front desk and checked out after demanding a refund and we'd be left with searching the town for another place to stay late at night.

will i return to motel 6 eureka? heck no! will i recommend it for others? double heck no!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple