“just okay”

Clarion Hotel By Humboldt Bay
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Eureka
Reviewed 7 August 2012

we had 4 separate rooms reserved. Upon check in, I was put in a room on the 3rd floor and the other 3 rooms were on the 1st floor... we had called 2 months in advance to reserve the rooms all being together, so this was not acceptable. The ad for the Clarion reads "3:00pm Check in time guaranteed" but we had to wait for our rooms to be cleaned (not long... but still a wait). when I got into my room there was still old left over food in the fridge and some sort of crusty like "substance" dried on the television remote (I do NOT even want to know what it was) I took the food and remote to the front desk clerk who personally cleaned the remote and taped it back together again for the back was coming off. The curtains were ripped. We always check hotel beds for bugs... they were clean and clear... but the bedding was very old and worn out. The air conditioner would not adjust up or down. Indoor pool was nice! but very few tiny towels available. Some of us had to go without and make a fast run across the parking lot to the room to dry off. The printed information in the room ie: television channels list etc. were old and crumpled. The front desk man made a comment regarding "sending one of there most attractive housekeepers to the room" and another about "liking wild women", I am sure he was just trying to be social and fun... but it was inappropriate and not to be rude but there was no attractive staff...but that would not matter... efficiency and friendliness are what bring people back. The charge for the room safe is a little ridiculous! BE SURE TO HAVE THEM REMOVE THAT CHARGE at check out time.
on a positive note: the bathroom was roomy and nice, lots of hot water, the breakfast was a very nice addition. waffles, sausage, cereal, fruit, biscuit and gravy, juices... there was an attendant who was very efficient and kind about keeping everything cleaned and stocked. The hotel was close to other attractions in the town. I would say it was a little pricey for what you get... but all in all it was a nice stay.

Room Tip: if you don't use the safe, be sure they remove the charge
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank 4worldtravelor

Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

First let me start by saying this was the 4th hotel we've stayed in over our vacation so far. The last 2 nights have been garbage so this was a very nice change....weekend summer on the coast, everything was booked so we paid a hefty price for this hotel but it was worth it!

Upon arrival, front desk clerk super friendly and helpful! We had called ahead requesting rooms with 2 queens which was good because the hotel was full.

The bed was soft and comfy, clean room, a little dated but nice. Lots of channels for tv, which made my tired kids happy! We used the laundry facilities which were reasonably priced and clean! We had a fridge and microwave which is always nice. Breakfast was really surprising! Waffles, sausage, biscuits, fruit, boiled eggs, muffins and breads. Not gourmet but definitely much more than most! Lots of seating and attendant to keep things full and tables cleaned.

When checking out we asked if they had a Place to refill our water bottles, front desk lady went out if her way to accommodate us! Thank you thank you!

This is an area with few nice accommodations at ridiculous resort prices so be prepared to spend more for decent lodging.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank nvrdull
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Stayed for one night traveling from central CA to eastern OR, taking the beach route. Found the rooms to be clean and comfortable. Indoor pool was very popular with the kids, after a long day in the car. Internet signal was strong, and morning breakfast was complete and very tasty. Didn't notice any of the concerns presented in prior reviews that were posted here. Outside is showing a little age, but I understand that, having lived in a beach community for many years. My main concern was the room condition, which was very good. A couple of items to mention to management. The automatic safe charge is a bad idea. I didn't get charged as I mentioned it at check-out, but I only knew to do this as I read the registration card completely. Also, not sure if a fridge and microwave are standard for Clarion Inns, but I was very surprised not to have one in our room. Would have been very handy, since I was traveling with kids. Still, overall, a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: If you are going to use the pool, as for a room near this part of the property. It gets very cool i...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Worst hotel. Paid $110. a night for an old room that smelled like the inside of a thrift shop. The layout was unworkable with no space around the sink for toiletries and a 1' wide closet. Even the shower rod was coming off the wall. My husband thought it looked like a poorly redone Motel 6. Final insult -- you're charge for your room safe whether you use it or not.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We pulled in to the parking lot/check in area about 8:30 pm and there was a male employee (in uniform) in front of the doors with 3 friends talking and smoking cigarettes. It didn't say "professionalism" or give us any confidence to stay there. We just kept on going.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The Clarion is in a very convenient spot, right across from the Target. Small restaurants are all around and yet, Old Town and the Civic Center are only blocks away.
The outside of the building is neat and clean. Very utilitarian and plain. The main inside lobby was cluttered and a bit confusing to the first time guest.
Every person who worked at the hotel was very friendly, helpful and warm. They really made the difference during the stay since the actual room was not that great.
As soon as I walked in there was a strange odor. It seemed to be a carpet shampoo or odor remover that was not sufficiently removed. I stayed 5 nights and eventually got used to it, but even as I left, I still noticed it. I would have asked for another room, but my check in was so late, I just wanted to go to sleep.
The walls between rooms must be thin, because I could always hear the guests next door.
I like the bathroom. A really nice oval tub where I could actually have a soaking bath and each day's cleaning was always done spotlessly. Plenty of hot water.
The bedding was very tired. The sheets were clean and neat, but the blankets, bedshirts and bed coverings were old and worn.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Everything was great. Rooms spacious, clean and even included a desk, chair and rocker. Plenty of thick, soft towels, strong wifi signal in room. We didn't take advantage of the light dinner buffet but breakfast was great. The dining area was very nice also.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family