“New Orleans in CA”

Ranked #4 of 40 Restaurants in Fairfax
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: New orleans inspired menu
Reviewed 21 April 2013

The Hummingbird Cafe is Michelle Elmore's domain. She came in CA after the Hurricane made her leave New Orleans and start over. The food is abundant and tasty. They make the most excellent beignets I could ever find in CA. The coffee is excellent. The service is nice and the location easy to find. I love stopping by and have a late breakfast there when I am in Fairfax!
One added treat: the huge photographs on the walls, taken by Michelle herself, who can talk to you about them when she's not somewhere in the world at a show or another.

1  Thank Beautifulworld4me

Reviewed 17 April 2013

the fried chicken on a waffle. Not a concept I was familiar with but was advised it was good by a local. I was not disappointed - absolutely fantastic. The waffle has sage in it and is green inside - wonderful taste and somewhat spicy. The fried chicken was totally addictive. I wish I could say I could not finished it all but it was so good, I just could not stop eating! The New Orleans connection is clear throughout the restaurant. I am glad I live thousands of miles away because I would be a regular visitor.

1  Thank Elers
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I went there last weekend for a quite bite to eat. The egg scramble was very good and the service was fast even though they were busy. The only downside is that they only accept cash.

1  Thank Michael F
Reviewed 17 February 2013

This is owned and run by a New Orleans ex-pat. She is an artist with New Orleans food as well as with her photographs. The food is always excellent with service to match when they are not overly busy. When busy the service is still good -- but a little forgetful.

Reviewed 6 November 2012

I went for lunch several times at the Hummingbird this summer. Every time I did, it was to take a break in a very very busy day, it was late, and I was famished!
The food is generous, tasty, and I loved the Louisianna food orientation! I never can't resist having the Beignets... sprinkled with powdered sugar, hot and steamy inside, golden and crisp outside...they are chunks of yeasty dough that puff up when deep fried. Decadent...they come by 3 on a side plate, and they are worth your trip just by themselves ! The coffee, New Orleans way with chicory in it, is delicious, mellow and strong. The egg dishes are copious and yummy. The owner is also an artist, lots of her gigantic photos are to be seen in the dining room and they are unique in many ways. A cool place for lunch, no doubt!