“Great value, so glad we picked this one!”

Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Fairfield
Reviewed 4 July 2014

For some reason, the reviews were less than glowing on this property, and as a frequent Marriott guest, I did some online shopping to compare, then chose this because I was staying on points, and didn't expect to be in the room much anyway with Napa and Sonoma just down the road. I was coming from the San Fran Marriott Marquis, and obviously a Courtyard is not in the same cost category as the full Marriott brand hotel. That said, I expected to be a little disappointed as I stepped down - but I was not!
Let me first say - the staff were super - recognized my Marriott status, and helped us with some wine tasting coupons. They were very apologetic about not having a wine opener (someone borrowed their last one and did not return it) so we bought one across the street, and I told the desk agent I'd leave it for her, but not until we're ready to check out, and she laughed.

The rooms are great, exactly what you'd expect from a Courtyard (each Courtyard has a style based on the year built, and this one is not out of date, it has cherry wood cabinets in nice condition, dark blue carpet in very nice condition and clean, plain white bedding of good quality, basic towels in good condition, good lighting and lots of space in the room, Paul Mitchell bath products). It appears they are planning a remodel, but even in the current state, it's nice. Our bathroom was small but very clean, spotless even, tile on floor a bit dated, but who cares, it was in great condition so why replace it? In the US we get so used to constantly throwing things out, but if you ever travel internationally you'll see that things built well might stay around a long time, and in the spirit of reduce, reuse, recycle, why waste it? The room we had was an end room, extended king, with microwave and small refrig, with balcony (none of the balconies seemed to have chairs, which I thought a bit disappointing). The freeway noise was not an issue, although the rooms on the freeway side might have an opinion on that. We were in 438, a generously sized room with siders to a balcony with a solid half wall, (some have metal railings), with a great view of the rolling hills. There are real glasses and cups in the room (I like this vs the paper or plastic ones) and there are water and coffee stations throughout the hotel, a nice touch.
There is a grocery across the parking lot, and there are a few fast food or basic restaurants within a 2 block area, and across freeway there are additional options including mid-scale sit-down restaurants. Easy to find location.
Outdoor pool looked nice, well kept and busy, both with kids swimming and adults relaxing in chaise lounge chairs. Lobby and public areas are clean, gym is decent size compared to many Courtyards where it's just a tiny room. Rooms are quiet, and while we heard people in the hallway that's because sometimes inconsiderate people stand and talk on cel phones or to each other far louder than is respectful when outside someone else's door - not a fault of the property, a factor of inconsiderate guests (don't be that guy).
There was some mention of loud HVAC - the bathroom fan stays on 24/7 and is a little loud but it's like white noise and you will probably not notice it much. The AC unit wasn't unusually loud, and the controls are current with digital readouts.
I recommend this Courtyard and would stay again any time, with family or without - This is a great and affordable option if you are looking to be near Napa but not interested in paying the high rates of the boutique hotels. For the price, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Overall it's a 4.5, but this scale only allows whole numbers, so as it's not an 'elite' property in a highly walkable neighborhood, I ranked it a 4 - don't let that dissuade you from picking this one.

Room Tip: Rooms on the end, e.g. 438, have balcony but do not face traffic, and are generously sized.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kjhMN

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I am a Gold Marriott Member. That means to me over 350 nights sleeping at Marriott Hotels – almost on year of my life! I share this because I am a fan of the chain, but not a fan of this hotel. The Courtyard – Fairfield is not worth your hard earned money.

The rooms are barely current, but the amenities are dated. Queen size is not really queen sized for some bizarre reason. And the beds are pretty damn hard. Pillows suck. The drapes drag on the floor. The front desk can be brain dead after management goes home. Here is an example: question: what time does the buffet open? Answer: “I don’t know. You can call in the morning and find out.” Next question: “Is there any way you can find out so that we can plan our morning” Answer: “Either 6am or 7am. It would be better if you called yourself in the morning.”

Here is the worst of it. The buffet in the morning – the food was unattractive. I don’t mean that it had blonde roots, or braces. I mean, if you look at the plain scrambled eggs, in addition to being watery (there is more water in those eggs than we have in Northern California due to the drought), but there were also flecks of something that did not belong. No, it was not bacon bits. No, it was not green onion. It was like brown finger nails. It was gross!!!! Unfortunately, we had already paid, so we were held hostage. And we were on our way out the door, so not time to problem solve with the staff who could care less. It was expensive oatmeal! Still don’t know exactly what this was. The way this was displayed wide open, maybe someone sneezed or coughed. From the look of the guests and some of the help, very possible.

Yes, they are going through renovation this month. But that renovation is no excuse for the display of the food or the poor customer service.

Like I said, I am a fan of the Marriott chain. But from now on, when I see that Courtyard sign off highway 80 in Fairfield, I will think “sneezed, watery, scrambled eggs!”

Room Tip: It is cleaner to eat from the street than at the buffet!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CARainmaker
PJ W, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you very much for your comments, we do take all of your words to heart and will be addressing each issue with the staff. There is no excuse for the experience that you had and I would appreciate if you have the time to contact me at the hotel I would like to compensate you for it. We take great pride in our hotel so believe me that this review has hit us very hard, and we will use it as a learning experience to better serve in the future. Thank you again

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel started life as a Holiday Inn Select and became a Courtyard in 2007. Service at front desk was great, but that was the highlight. Windows cannot be opened and air conditioners are so loud that you can't hear the TV. Had to turn it off to sleep. Rooms are narrow and difficult to get past the double beds to desk and window. Bathroom is so small that there is only a quarter inch clearance between door and toilet, and only about a foot to tub. Shower curtain was so short that floor was soaked at end of shower. Beds were lumpy and bedding must have come from Holiday Inn days as it pulled off bed and needed to be re-stretched around corners several times in night.

This is definitely NOT up to Courtyard by Marriot standards in any respect other than front desk attention.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms with a single king bed allow more movement?
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Walt F
PJ W, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback and I am sorry that we did not fullfill yours or our expectations we are in the process of replacing the ptac units in the rooms which shoud alleviate the noisiness, and we are excited to be renovating the rooms later this year which should help with the other issues you encountered. I am glad that my staff was one of the bright spots of your stay I will definately pass that on to them.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Staff was very very nice, hotel grounds were nice and location was convenient (grocery store, restaurants and many shops nearby, only 60 minutes to downtown San Fran). The pool was very cold for June and our balcony was dissapointing. We had no balcony chairs (while other rooms did) and our balcony overlooked a roof. Outside of that, It worked for our family and is priced very well. You MUST eat at Huckleberrys right by the hotel. If you are near Berkley, go to ICI for ice cream.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
PJ W, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you so much for your comments. Thank you for letting us know about the pool temperature I am going to have my maintenance staff look into that perhaps the heater is malfunctioning. Once again thank you for your comments they help us to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The rooms that have balconies face the freeway and are super-loud, the ones with no balconies that face the parking in the back are quieter. Same price. The walls are kind of thin. The rooms themselves are fine, clean and adequate. The pool is on the freeway-side. The pool is heated and is ok, except the hot tub is not hot enough, just kinda tepid. The breakfast is great, and the woman who is making the omelets is an excellent worker - cheery, caring, attentive. The middle-aged black receptionist woman is also really nice and welcoming, makes people feel like they are coming home - a good feeling after a long drive.

Room Tip: The rooms that have balconies face the freeway and are super-loud, the ones with no balconies that f...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
PJ W, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for your response we take all feedback very seriously and help use it to better our service to you. We look forward to seeing you again when you are in the area

Reviewed 12 June 2014

The hotel had just begun renovations to the lobby the week we arrived, so I'm trying to be fair, but the rooms themselves were a bit of a disappointment. When I travel for work (about 2x/month) I almost always choose a Courtyard and this was not what I've come to expect. The room was a bit more dated than more, the tub and windows needed to be brought out of the 80s. The curtains had some questionable stains and their was a mysterious spoon on the floor that did not belong to me. It felt safe and it was mostly very clean, but still not what I've come to know the Courtyard brand to offer. Maybe after the reno it will be on par?

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor. Floor to ceiling windows didn't leave me feeling any privacy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Andrea R, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Thank you for staying with us. We are sorry to hear that your stay wasn't as comfortable as we would have like it to be. Yes we have started the first phase of remodeling the property. We are excited to inform you that we will be renovation our guest sleeping room in October. We would really like you visit us again. Perhaps one the renovation is complete you may find us to be above Marriott Standard. Thank you once more for staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Fairfield, Napa Valley Area.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hotels in the Napa Valley area tend to be very overpriced - this one is not. It is also well-located, well maintained, has a nice pool and is very well staffed. We had a typically nice Courtyard room, we spent some time out in the pool and hot tub, and it served as an excellent base for a relaxing weekend in Napa and Sonoma.

Room Tip: Get one by the pool for afternoon shade.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BennyDRR
PJ W, Manager at Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for your response and staying with us we look forward to seeing you again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairfield
Hilton Garden Inn Fairfield
Hampton Inn and Suites Suisun City Waterfront
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fairfield - Napa Valley
Fairfield Inn & Suites Fairfield Napa Valley Area
Staybridge Suites Fairfield Napa Valley Area
Homewood Suites by Hilton Fairfield - Napa Valley Area

Been to Courtyard Fairfield Napa Valley Area? Share your experiences!