“Watch out for the bedbugs!”
Review of Pala Mesa Resort

Pala Mesa Resort
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Fallbrook
Reviewed 5 July 2007

Mediocre was the theme of this stay. With the exception of the grounds (which were beautiful), most everything else was just so-so.

We stayed there with a large group of people the weekend of June 30th as we attended a friend's wedding in the area. One gal in our group woke up with bed bug bites!!!!

Bed was comfy, room decor was updated and nice. BUT bathroom was one that you would find in a Motel 6. The toilet in our room was the slowest flushing toilet I've ever seen in my life.

Food in the Aquaterra restaurant on the grounds left a lot to be desired. Hubby and I ordered Philli Cheese Steak sandwiches...looked the the chef threw some meat, cheese, and peppers in a hot dog bun and nuked the whole thing.

And towards the end of our stay on the day of checkout, our key card became uncoded and wouldn't work. A staff member was assisting another guest two doors down from us. We asked her what we should do, and she just shrugged her shoulders and just mumbled that we should go to the office as she drove away on her golf cart...towards the office. No offer to let us hitch a ride with her.

Would NOT stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank KMelrose

Reviewed 1 May 2007

We stayed at this resort with a group of 14. I am a golfer and I appreciated the beautiful looking course. However, I did not play golf while I was there. The resort was very quiet, and peaceful. The restaurant for dinner was exceptional. The rooms were comfortable, nothing really out of the ordinary. However, the room was everything I needed including a refrigerator/coffee pot. I did some research on things to do in the area ahead of time. However, when I asked the front desk for a map, all they had were maps south of the hotel, the wine country is north of the hotel. So, just be prepared to know what you want to do while you are there.

• Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank rhorbacker
Reviewed 8 February 2007

The resort is very nice. Beautiful surroundings, and, although im personally not interested in golf, a beautiful golf course. The employees at the front desk, and in room service were very friendly, and quick. The Aqua Terra restaraunt also has a very friendly staff, with excellent service, and excellent food!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BrokenDays
Reviewed 19 October 2006

We were there on our honeymoon and our room was beautiful. It did smell a little musty and there wasn't much to do if you don't golf. The restaurant had great food, but overpriced. We had originally planned 2 nights there, but only stayed 1. It's really far from anything to do off property.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank justmarried1
Reviewed 23 August 2006

I haven't been to the fallbrook area in years, so it was great to have staff willing to share the cool things to do in the area. My wife and I stayed two nites, and I wish it could have been a week! We played a round of golf, and was sorry that the gps didn't work, but after playing all the years I've played, we had a great round. Course was in primo shape, staff at the pro shop was super, charge the beers to your room- no problem-that was hassle free thruout. Food was outstanding- and the staff didn't make us feel like we had to hurry and leave (even tho we should have) it was past 11 pm. Just respect the wait staff and give a good tip! They are worth every dime! Check out was easy, and we can't wait to go back!! Now that we are back in Sedona, the only thing I don't miss is the Smog!!!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank buzzardonwheels
Reviewed 10 July 2006

My husband and I stayed here only one night, and we were glad that was all we planned. We checked in and the people at the front desk were friendly. The restaurant food and service were good but overpriced. Nice view of the golf course from the dining area. The grounds looked well maintained, but unfortunately, that did not carry over to the room.

The room was so musty and moldy smelling we had to air it out for 5 hours before we could close the sliding door to sleep since there was a wedding party in the suite next door. At least it had a high ceiling so it wasn't too stuffy after airing it out. The room had a small balcony which was ok, but the view was obscured by the trees. The decor in the room was outdated, it probably hadn't been redecorated since the late 70's. One review said they could hear the freeway from the buildings, but all the buildings were next to each other and we couldn't hear the road at all.

The worst part of the stay was that both my husband and I woke up aching from the terrible beds. He was going to play golf, but was too sore and tired to do so after the lack of sleep. Every time either of us moved on the bed, the other woke up or practically bounced off the bed. Aside from that, the room was relatively clean, though they needed to run an air cleaner in the room badly.

We were also put into a handicapped room for no reason. Neither of us looked even slightly handicapped or much over 30. You may want to make sure all the rooms are not like that if you decide to stay there. The only benefit was you could sit while taking a shower. They had a great showerhead, but no water pressure, so the water just drizzled out on all settings but one.

The coffeemaker dripped cold water before it was plugged in. They had a large TV and adequate closet space. We got the room on a special of $59.95, but felt that was overpriced for the condition of the room, and the location. We heard the rooms go for an average of $150 or more per night. Definitely NOT worth it!!

In case you are planning to travel here, there is not a lot to do in this area besides golf, especially for someone looking for a night life. It is probably a 20 minute drive or more to the nearest grocery store, and about 30-40 minutes to the nearest beach. We live in the eastern part of San Diego about 90 minutes away, so we only stayed here to visit family.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank pchampion25
Reviewed 19 June 2006

We have visited Pala mesa resort several times and we will be staying again this weekend. I am suprised at so few reviews as we have found this resort to be quaint and charming. The rooms are open and airy. All have balconies or nice patios overlooking the golf course or the woody area. My husband is a golfer and loves the course. For me i bring along my little pup (small dogs accepted with deposit) and we walk the grounds and relax. (she loves to see all the squirrels) We have room service for breakfast every morning we are here. The best omlettes with the freshest ingredients are found here and quick prompt service. All rooms have refrigerators so we usually bring our own water and soft drinks, wine...etc. I havent personally been to the spa but my friends tell me it is lovely. The beds are so comfy you will feel like you are at home. Granted this is not a 5 star hotel. But Pala Mesa staff trys to make it feel that way, with welcome fruit and comforts that larger hotels charge big for..If you want a quiet getaway this is the place to be.

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank Ashleezmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fallbrook
Quality Inn Fallbrook I-15
Econo Lodge Inn and Suites Fallbrook Downtown
SpringHill Suites Temecula Valley Wine Country
Carter Estate Winery and Resort
South Coast Winery Resort & Spa

Been to Pala Mesa Resort? Share your experiences!