“A good on a route with few choices”

Cowboy Bar and Grill
Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Felton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 2 October 2013

While on a day trip along California Route 9 we asked a couple of shop owners, locals, in Ben Lomand for a restaurant recommendation. They both came up with no suggestions saying every place in the area was pretty poor. OK, so maybe they had a hidden gem they wanted to keep hidden from us tourists, every place couldn't be bad. Disheartened we headed south back towards Santa Cruz and pretty much every eatery along the way had few to no cars in the lots. Not a good a sign on a Sunday at 12:30. Passing through Felton we spied the Cowboy Bar and Grill and it actually had customers we went in. It's a very casual locals place with a simple menu. But sometimes a good burger, fries and a cold beer is all you want or need. I had the bison burger, it was excellent. Wife had a burger, also excellent. Service was very good up until it was time to get the check and get on the road. But I can't fault them for this. It's a relaxed, slow down and take your time, kind of community. We were dining on the front patio under the shade of a big redwood on a quite afternoon. Why would we want to leave. For good basic food, this is a good choice and we would stop again.

There are newer reviews for Cowboy Bar and Grill

Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stopped in Felton and thought this place sounded fun. The service was friendly and timely, and the decor is entertaining. The french fries are the best I have ever had! Would definitely go back.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

A local had recommended the Cowboy Bar and Grill as the best place in town to eat, so on the second night of a business trip to the area, I opted to give it a try. While it wasn't awful, it was disappointing. The restaurant itself was not overly clean. The service was HORRIBLE from start to finish, something I readily forgive when an establishment is busy, but that was not the case during my meal. The pork/cornbread entree was pleasantly unusual, but the cornbread was way too heavy/greasy for my personal taste.

1  Thank JudyTheGypsy
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I'm pretty picky when it comes to food. This place had really good food at a very fair price. The bar menu was nice as well. Would eat here again for sure.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

This used to be called the Cowboy Diner, but as of lately has become the Cowboy Downer. Too bad, because I used to call this one of the best eateries in Santa Cruz County. I don't know what the chefs and owners are thinking, but food here has become less-than-stellar. Lunches here will always be a safe bet, with items like the Sloppy Jed and their burgers (the fries are pretty great). The last time I got the BBQ ribs, they were just OK. My friends and I used to LOVE their cole slaw with horseradish, but the last time I got it, I couldn't taste ANY horseradish, leaving it to be a very bland cole slaw. What up with that? At my most recent dinner there with a friend last month, I splurged and ordered the filet mignon with gorgonzola cream sauce. But honestly, if there was gorgonzola in the sauce, I couldn't taste one iota of it. Gorgonzola is a strong cheese and should have permeated the sauce to bring great flavor to the steak, but no. To give them some credit, the steak was cooked to order, but really? When I pay $30 for a steak, I expect it to be worthy of the $30. Stop calling your cream sauce "gorgonzola" cream sauce, or put some gorgonzola it in, okay?? I will still meet friends here, but will probably stick to lunches, which are a great value with good food. Service has always been prompt and friendly, leaving this to still be a great place to meet folks. It's good that they have some outdoor seating, but the staff really needs to hunker down on people that wish to smoke, as people are eating.