“Good & Bad” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
stirling
“Good & Bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2008

We stayed at the Tenaya during a recent holiday to the States and arrived in freezing temperatures so we glad to get inside. Initial impression - from the outside, the hotel is quite ugly, just a modern looking hotel. However, the huge foyer looked beautiful with a forty foot christmas tree covered in lights. Think it would normally look a bit bare but it looked very inviting whilst we were there. Check in staff were also very nice.

The hotel has a bit of a strange layout in that only the 2nd floor links all the buildings - this turned out to be quite infuriating at times. Also we found one of the lifts to be ridiculously slow and it always stuck at the third floor for some reason.

Bedroom itself was very nicely presented though it could do with a few touch ups such as the very rusty bottle opener on the back of the bathroom door and the splintered frame around the main bedroom door. However, in general, nice homely feel to it and we settled in well.

Then onto the food - Jackalopes looks the part but the food was appalling. Cold, bland and unappetising. Unfortunately we ended up having to eat there both nights as the Sierra closed at 9.30pm and we didn't know. Food the second night was marginally better but still not what I would have expected.

During our stay we asked the 'guest services' for some info on Yosemite and were told she didn't have any and couldn't help! Again not really what you would expect.

They do have an ice-rink at the hotel during the winter season so we did enjoy that but they charge extra which I thought was a bit cheeky. Also extra is skate hire which we weren't told about and saw it on the final bill - fine if you bring your own but who takes ice skates on holiday with them?! Fitness room was very basic - it does for the occasional use but my husband was very disappointed with it. The pool was also permanently full of kids - this is a great location if you have them, perhaps not so great if you don't!

Overall, it was a nice hotel in a beautiful setting. It needs work in a few areas which do let the side down but overall we did enjoy our time there.

• Liked — Setting
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank daisy_bill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,070)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2008

The hotel lobby was being decorated when we stayed at the lodge, so had to put up with dodging a cherry picker when going to and from the hotels restaurants/deli or front carpark. It was also off season so we had to do without the hotels indoor pool and gym as they were closed due to maintenance. This aside it was a lovely hotel and seemed to have a lot of activities available in winter/summer. It was an hour into and out of Yosemite each day which was a bit of a drag, especially as this was one of the reasons for the visit. The bed in the room were very comfy and came with extra pillows. Needed to open the windows at night to let air in as the room was EXTREMELY warm (80F) and the air conditioning was too noisy to have on when sleeping.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank benny73
Santa Margarita, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2008

Our stay at the Tenaya started with an extremely attentive valet staff that created a wonderful first impression.

Our luggage was already in our room by the time we checked in right away with the very friendly and helpful front desk staff..

The lobby was decorated with a 3 story BEAUTIFULLY decorated Christmas tree complete with a roaring fire in the huge fireplace with holiday music playing in the background made for a stunning welcome.

We booked the Luxury Suite (pricey at $500 - $700 per night) but it was worth it due to the fireplace, seperate bedroom, whirlpool bath and additional shower, dining room table for 8. It was great for us and two teenagers.

The heated indoor pool open to MIDNIGHT is fabulous. Not a small pool either and in a 3 story ceiling height facility.

Two heated spas, one indoors and one out.

There also is very nice covered ice rink right on the property!

We ordered room service on New Years Eve and received our order exactly as promised and it was perfect and delicious.

Badger Pass Ski area on New Years Day was only 45 minutes away and turned out to be just as incredible. The staff was as courteous and kind as could be. We managed to loose a wallet while there and we were called the next day by the staff that it was FOUND and would be returned by FEDEX.... by the way...the CASH (over $200) was STILL there! Talk about helpful and HONEST!

Had diinner at the Sierra fine dining restaurant the next night and found the food and service to be impeccable. Had the scallops and the filet... the chef even came by all the tables to check to see if everyone enjoyed their meal!

Our stay was over the New Years Eve holiday and I have noticed a trend after reading several reviews on Trip Advisor that most places melt down during major holidays not always reflecting the true essence of the place. I'll have to say with all sincerety (and I have written some scathing reviews if a place lets us down) that the most pleasant and CONSISTENT experience at the Tenaya was the STAFF! On it, on it, on it from the moment we drove up to the moment the valet staff said good bye and called us by name and thanked us for our stay!

If you want the best experience get the Luxury Suite (there are only 3 on property) and you will be very happy at the Tenaya Lodge!

• Liked — The STAFF!
  • Disliked — That we couldn't stay FOREVER!
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Anal Jim
california
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2007

Have not actually gotten there yet but guest service is poor already. After 2 calls and an email inquiring about New Years Eve dinner reservations were not returned I finally got through ( a week later) too late to make a dinner reservation. Thus will be staying there but unable to dine. Concierge and Guest services quite cavalier.. eat at five or go to Oakhurst.

Stayed December 2007
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2007

We are here at the Tenaya for Christmas (12/23 - 12/27).

This is a review of my experience:

HOTEL
The Tenaya Lodge is OK, but I'm not overly impressed. My husband and I are fairly frequent global travelers. While we are not regulars at the Ritz Carlton, I think we are fairly discriminating (yet also forgiving) travelers.

OK...so back to the Tenaya. The rooms are comfortable enough. I think we're in a Deluxe King. There is very little storage space (3 small drawers in the TV armoire), so we're primarily living out of suitcases.

The walls are also thin. We are lucky to be in an end room where there is some "buffering" from the noise. You can clearly hear conversations in the room next door from our bathroom, though. In general, the guests seem to be particularly fond of slamming doors and talking loudly in hallways.

As we walk to the elevator on the second floor, there is a strong cigarette smell wafting through the hallways (despite the fact that we've complained twice to the front desk - gross).

FOOD
I'm still unwell after our meal last night at the Jackalope Grill (the casual dining spot). While we waited for our table at the bar a bartender, Calvin, stood there LEERING at us while my husband tried to decide which beer to order. Calvin looked clearly annoyed, so I asked him to give us 2 more minutes. He stalked off without comment and never came back. Eventually, another waiter took our drinks order.

After about 25 minutes, we were finally seated at our table. I ordered an appetizer of calamari and, as an entree, soup and 1/2 sandwich (Turkey and brie) for dinner, and my husband ordered the prime rib sandwich.

It took about 25-30 minutes for the food to arrive, and then it ALL arrived at once - appetizers and dinner.

The calamari looked like nothing I had ever quite seen (or tasted for that matter). It was tough, little overbreaded sticks (looked like french fries, and tasted like really, really bad fish sticks). After 2-3 bites, my husband and I were sufficiently grossed out and asked the waiter to take the calimari away. The waiter did not seem to understand what was wrong with it. Nor do I think he understood why we would NOT want an appetizer WITH our main course.

My entree was incorrect. It was a chicken melt sandwich - not what I ordered - and no soup. The meal was beginning to feel like a comedy of errors....they took away the chicken sandwich and brought soup and a turkey sandwich, but there was no brie on the sandwich. When I said something to Jordan the server, he rolled his eyes and said, "Ugh. That kitchen!"

My husband's prime rib sandwich was dry and extremely well-done. Not what one would have expected.

Jordan eventually brought me three slices of brie on a saucer and promised not to charge us for the sandwich ("Dont worry...I'll take care of you guys!") but when the bill arrived the charge was indeed there. By this point, we were so fed up that we paid, just so we could escape to our room.

During the dinner fiasco we struck up a conversation with the table next to us, and they were also having a tough time. Their entire order was messed up.

This morning, we ate at the breakfast buffet. Overall it was average for a hotel buffet, but the eggs were also something I'd never experienced before. They were sort of like institutionalized, school food...powdery and tasteless. Our server was very nice and offered to get me some fresh scrambled eggs from the kitchen. But even that took TWO tries - the first eggs she brought out were still quivering, they were so undercooked.

Based upon these two experiences, we were not terribly enthused about eating at the Tenaya for dinner - even though the Sierra is supposed to be the "fine dining" experience here.

We decided to cancel our reservations at the Sierra and were fortunate enough to secure a reservation at Erna's Elderberries House instead in Oakhurst. Its less than 15 miles from the Tenaya and part of the Chateau Sureau property.

The meal was $105 pp for xmas eve dinner, but well worth it. The service was amazing, food was excellent. The entire experience was just lovely. I cant recommend this place enough.

When we returned a little while ago, we walked through the area where the Tenaya Xmas Eve Buffet had been. We were so happy that we didnt stay for that. It looked HORRIBLE. There was yukky looking sushi, dry cookies and other "delicacies" that I'm happy to have missed.

I've decided that the Tenaya is the "Poor Man's Ahwahnee".

Stay tuned for more adventures....

• Liked — Proximity to South entrance to Yosemite
  • Disliked — Cigarette smoke in hallways, thin walls/noisy guests and the HORRIBLE FOOD
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2007

We went here for a conference with my husband's work. The rooms are a bit small for a family of four. The biggest perk is that they have an indoor heated pool. This is great for fall and winter stays. They will bring you a refrigerator upon request. I recommend stopping in town for food because the food at the resort is super expensive.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank hollywoodmom
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2007

After miles of winding, forested road, we rounded a corner and there was the drive-way for Tenaya Lodge. The Lodge is away from the highway and the drive to the valet area was decorated for Christmas. Had there been snow, it would have seemed like a Winter Fairyland. We were greeted enthusiastically by the valet staff, who were eager to park our car(no charge), carry our luggage to the room and introduce us to the Front Desk for check-in. It was at this point that our trip went down hill.

Nine months before, we had called the reservations desk and were assured we would get the two connecting rooms we had reserved. We paid for one night at that point for each room. However, the front desk clerk said they had no connecting rooms that day, and didn't bother to check to even see if any would be available in the next 4 days. So, at the point of leaving to find other lodging, we figured that would probably be impossible over Thanksgiving weekend, so we went to look at our rooms, which were 5 doors apart. My husband and I have been married for 51 years and always request two rooms with a connecting door. Our "single" rooms each had a door that connected to another room, so we went back to the registration desk to ask if either rooms would check out in the next day or so. Amazingly enough, the room next to me was checking out the next day! But I was the one that had to ask about it. The next day my husband was given the connecting room next to me. In filling out a questionnaire about our visit, and writing basically what I just wrote, I was written back that connecting rooms are given to families with children first. What about elderly people that might need help or companionship? What about promising and not delivering? The whole time we were there, the vacancy sign was up out on the Highway.

Now for the positive side. As mentioned, the Lodge was beautifully decorated for Christmas. Santa came, there was a Gingerbread house building contest, ice skating, guided walks, horse back riding, kids game room, two swimming pools--there was plenty to do. Tenaya is both kid friendly and dog friendly. We saw a lot of dogs on leashes in the lobby. They are relegated to first floor rooms because of access to the lawn. Our rooms were on the 3rd floor and tastefully decorated. The bathroom had a shower/bath and toilet, separate from the counter and mirror. The amenities were adequate, the coffee good and even better if you use bottled water. No couch for extra people in the room.

We ate at both restaurants. Found the Jackalope food to be a little spicy to our taste. There is also a Deli for sandwiches. We had latte's there a couple of times. Our Thanksgiving meal was in the ballroom with nice decorations and plenty of food. We were charged $28.95 pp for a Senior Citizen. There were more families with children and Grandparents than at Disneyland. It was really a family destination for the Holiday.

We spent two days in the Park. The first was 9 hours of driving around to see all the famous landmarks. We also ate lunch at the Ahwahnee Hotel. The waterfalls were barely dribbles this time of year. Probably our highlight was going to Glacier Point. It was worth the drive for the views. This is where the old fire fall used to be pushed off the cliff. We also went to the Mariposa Grove to see the Sequoia trees. On our last day, we drove to a parking area and walked .5 miles to see Tenaya Falls. It was a lovely, flat walk on pine needles. The Lodge has a map showing how to get there.

We liked our stay, and had it not been for the room problem, would give Tenaya Lodge a five.

• Liked — The Lodge itself, friendly staff, beautiful location
  • Disliked — It being so "family" and "dog" friendly. There was a lot of noise which could have been because of the Holiday.
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Fish Camp
Narrow Gauge Inn
Narrow Gauge Inn
#3 of 4 in Fish Camp

Been to Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite? Share your experiences!