“The time of our lives”
Review of Forest House Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Foresthill
Forest House Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Foresthill
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Where do I start? My daughter got married this past weekend at the Forest House Lodge, and as some of the other reviewers have said, the experience was an absolute dream come true. Since the majority of the bride's family lives out of state, we availed ourselves of the Princess package and stayed from Thursday through Sunday.

The main floor of the lodge is beautifully appointed, and guests are dazzled when they come in through the front doors and can see all the way through the lobby and wedding-reception areas to the glass doors going out to a lovely balcony overlooking a tranquil flagstone patio in the rear of the lodge. There is a cozy library with stone fireplace on the main floor for reading, sitting, or playing board games. A grand piano is available for playing on the main floor as well. A long fully stocked bar is situated to the right of the lobby, and is filled with hats of every type. For our rehearsal dinner we had a Mad Hatter party, and everyone who was staying at the lodge from the oldest to youngest donned a hat to their liking, and we had quite a lively dinner.

The 28 guest rooms located on the top floor of the lodge are all very unique and charming, with various configurations which allow parents and children to stay together in adjoining rooms, couples to have a room, singles to share rooms, large suites for families and the bride and groom, etc. Some rooms have private baths, some have shared baths, and there are four other full baths located in the hallways, well stocked with towels and personal amenities.

The lower floor of the lodge is a recently renovated enormous game room, with a pool table, ping-pong table, air hockey, video games, guitar hero, poker table, etc etc, as well as a beautiful bridal salon with two professional styling chairs, four additional stools with lighted mirrors, lots of velvet chaise lounges, two bathrooms, etc. There is also a new groomsmen salon for the guys to get ready in.

The beauty of having three floors in the lodge is that the main floor serves as a buffer between the upstairs guest rooms and the lower-level game room, which makes for a quiet and restful room experience throughout the day and night..

The service by the hotel staff was absolutely sublime. I have traveled extensively and stayed in five-star hotels around the world, and the service at the lodge was on par with that. The staff is available for your every need, yet remain quietly in the background. There are lovely touches like Ghiradelli chocolates in every room, as well as the lobby. Coffee, tea and bottled water are always available. My family said they felt like royalty.

The food was exceptional. We were fed all day long, including late-night hot snacks. My daughter adheres to a strict gluten-free diet, and the chef could not have been more informed and accommodating. The kitchen kept all of her food separated throughout the stay, and even made a separate small gluten-free wedding cake to match the large cake. The lodge was responsive to the needs of our group , and every single meal was delicious and more than met our expectations.

The actual wedding site is located about a mile up the road from the lodge, and I was a bit concerned about transporting folks there and back, as well as newly arriving guests not knowing where the site was, but there was no need to worry because the lodge staff were at the front door giving directions, and everyone got there with no problem. There were additional staff at the site handling the parking. The site is utterly breathtaking, and the extended families of the bride and groom stayed after the ceremony for group photos.

I can say with absolute certainty that you would not find anyone who attended this event who did not have the time of their lives. I cannot tell you how many times people told me that this was the best wedding they had ever been to, and it was the staff at the lodge who made it happen. Brett, Kathryn, Laura, Julie, Trevor, Patrick, Monica, and all the rest of the employess who made this the most memorable event ever, thank you from our entire family.
Dianne Coughlin
Roseville, California

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank Dianne C

Reviewed 13 July 2011

I am writing as Mother of the Bride and the Matron of Honor. Having said that, I can say from the first meeting we knew we were in good hands with Brett and Kathryn. I was assured they would take care every last detail and that they did! It was as though we had event planners keeping an eye over every last detail from the moment we arrived. Our guests were treated with every courtesy by their staff. There was nothing they wouldn't do to ensure our stay was everything we had been told it would be. The guests left feeling as though they had been to a destination wedding although they only traveled a short distance.

The backdrop at the ceremony site was magical. It felt as though we were in the middle of nature with the birds chirping and butterflies flying around us while our daughter and son-in-law took their vows. It was the perfect start to a wonderful night. Kathryn saw to it that Bride and Groom had a little time to visit with eachother and nibble on hors d'oeuvres before they made their entrance at the reception. Kathryn suggested thisto ensure they could take some time to live in the moment. I'm the Mother of the Bride and I hadn't even thought of that!

Our guests couldn't say enough about the food. This was far from "wedding food". The chef is an artist. The presentation was as good as the flavor. I typically don't like wedding cake but this was not just any wedding cake. It melted in your mouth. The cake is made on site on the day of the wedding so it was wonderfully moist. They don't use lard so the frosting just disolved once it hit your tongue. We went with a different flavor for each layer and one was better than the next. Our guests kept coming up for more until there was none left!

Their staff made the transition from dinner to dancing/reception appear seamless. While the guests were re-directed to cake cutting they removed tables for dancing. Then the party really began. The after hours party went on all night downstairs in the game room. To say game room is an understatement-it is a lair. It was a great place for everyone to retreat to once the majority of the wedding guests had gone.

The Forest House Lodge staff went above and beyond to ensure our overnight accomidations were perfect. They made sure coffee was brewing for those early risers. Like that wasn't enough, they prepared a wonderful send off breakfast for the guests that stayed at the lodge.

We have received thank you notes from several of our guests because they wanted us to know that they had never experienced a wedding like that before. It is hard not to call it an event....because it wasn't just a wedding-it was like a reunion /mini-vacation because we got to have our closest family and friends stay with us at the lodge. The rehearsal dinner was also at the lodge so we got to relax and get acquainted with everyone before the BIG DAY. Then we got to experience the fabulous wedding the following day. There was none of the stress that I had always heard about. None of the last minute worries. The bridal party was calm and enjoyed the entire day of the wedding without any worry. We just relaxed, ate, drank mimosas while getting ready. Our daughter remained relaxed and joyful while she watched the day unfold. What more can you ask for?

Thinking back to this day will forever bring a smile to our faces. Without a doubt the outcome went far beyond our expectations and we're so thankful to have this lasting memory. I am so appreciative to Brett and Kathryn and their wonderful staff for making our daughter's dream wedding just that.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 1tallmom
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We couldn't have found a better location for our daughter's wedding. Bret, Kathryn, and their entire staff completely hit it out of the park. From the first meeting last year to the moment we left , the experience was first class. Everyone involved was professional, friendly, and anticipated every need and wish for all. The feeling was one of friends handling the arrangements not professionals doing their job. Their handling of the entire affair allowed my daughter, son-in-law and all the guests to have a wonderful and stress free time. We will treasure our time and we owe a big part of that to Bret, Kathryn, and their staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank folsom49
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Hello future brides! If I could title my wedding, and bottle up my experience with the Forest House Lodge ... I would call it "A Dream Come True". I am that girl that has been dreaming of my wedding since I was a little. In fact every Halloween, I asked to be a bride. To me, I wanted my wedding to be perfect... to be a fairytale. I knew the flowers I wanted, the kind of music I wanted to dance to, the type of dress I would wear... the only thing I didn't know was WHERE the wedding would be. My husband (Yay, I get to call him that now!) and I met camping, on top of a mountain. I knew we wanted an outdoor ceremony, great food, and a cozy reception. We started out our search for the perfect wedding venue by booking 5 places to preview. My dear friends, the Forest House Lodge was our very first stop... and after our tour with Brett (beyond amazing, caring, and enthusiastic General Manager) ... we CANCELLED every other place... we knew we found our wedding home! We call it that, because that is what your experience at The Forest House will feel like, a second home. They take you in, and make you feel like family. Brides, I am a perfectionist. BUT, this venue, these people... THEY ARE ... perfection. Brett & Kathryn are a married couple who run the operations there. Kathryn (who will become part of your heart) is the wedding director. The Forest House Lodge is truly an all-inclusive wedding venue. It is a 3 story miner’s lodge that has been converted to a fine dining, high end wedding experience. You get a ceremony site, a reception room, incredible food, a gorgeous cake (the cake designer is actually the owner, Monica and she is fabulously talented!), a place to stay, and all the organization, help, and tips you could ever ask for! They really think of every detail; from the private appetizers set aside for the bride and groom (so you don’t miss out on one thing!)to the intimate meetings with Kathryn to make sure every single detail of your big day is exactly what you planned on, to the private tastings you get to experience… this place is magical. For us, we had so many people coming from different places, it was important for each person to feel comfortable. The FHL, are experts on knowing the unknown, and there was not one glitch on the big day! Even people with food allergies had special pre-planned meals. And the lodge... oh my goodness... The top floor is rooms to fit up to 68 people(rest of guests stay at nearby hotels, which Kathryn gives you the list for) and each room has a different theme (fun!), the second floor is the main reception room, bar & lounge, and the third floor…. I almost don't want to tell you ... but SOOO worth going to see... it is a game room with every single game you can think of... for all ages! Now a really important aspect : eating!! For our wedding, we had about 200 people who flew in from areas of all over. Growing up in Napa, my family and I are major foodies. Let me tell you, you will NOT be disappointed! The food is just amazing. They have a wonderful chef with literally hundreds of option to suit your tastes. And, when you look for a ceremony site... talk about one being sent from GOD! It is a stone walkway that leads you to an open canyon on top of a mountain ... THAT is where you get married! It is stunning. A friend of mine referred to it as "Gods Altar".(They do have other options indoors too). I really can’t say enough about how amazing this place is. I got the wedding of my dreams, got to marry my best friend, and I had a team of people behind me who truly CARED with all their hearts that my day was perfect. Kathryn and Brett, take you on a journey... and give you the wedding of your dreams. Go meet them, and give them a hug from Rachel and Brandon!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wifey22
Reviewed 31 July 2010

This is so heart wrenching to even put down in words. I would do anything to save another couple from having to experience how terribly we were treated for what was suppposed to be the happiest day of life. From the level of service, to the food, to nickel and diming us to death at the last minute after it was too late I am stilll in shock how they can actually get away with conning blissful couples into having weddings there. I'm still sad.

16  Thank stephie2010
Reviewed 17 June 2010

I was married at the Forest House Lodge in 1994. The site is absolutely beautiful & amazing, but you already know that from the pictures & other reviews.......

The reason that I'm writing now after so many years is to say what wonderful people Patrick & Monica (the owners) are. Even now, I consider them friends. We still periodically exchange emails, keeping up with each others' lives. Patrick & Monica were such wonderful caretakers of our special weekend & have really proved over the years that the weddings held at their lodge are more to them than just a business.

I would highly, highly, highly recommend the Forest House Lodge to any bride & groom.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank LeahLou
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I got married here about a week and a half ago and I am still smiling. My wedding was absolutely PERFECT! There are no words to describe how absolutely incredible Forest House Lodge is. My guests are still raving about what a great time they had!

In the weeks leading up to the wedding I was very stressed out. As soon as I stepped through the doors of Forest House I felt relaxed and at ease. Everyone who came down to see me as I got ready said they could not believe how calm I was. They have the biggest most beautiful bridal salon ever.

The ceremony site is breath taking. The food was also great and they feed the guests litterally all day!! The bar is also amazing, and the bartenders are great and take really good care of the guests.(Julie took such great care of me she poored my a couple of fake shots when my guests would not stop pressuring me to drink.)

Some of our guests stayed the night and woke up to breakfast the next morning.

This place has everything you could ask for in a wedding venue plus tons more. I wish I could get married over and over again just so I could go back to Forest House Lodge.

• Stayed: May 2010
2  Thank KWalk13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Foresthill
The Historic American River Inn
Best Western Golden Key
Holiday Inn Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
#2 of 7 in Auburn

Been to Forest House Lodge? Share your experiences!