“Love!!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Forestville
Monrovia, CA
“Love!!”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

What a great weekend spent at the Farmhouse Inn. No detail is overlooked, from s'mores at night, wonderful bath products, cookies and milk before bed.... If you want to be spoiled, this is the place to visit. The breakfasts are delicious- pancakes, yogurt and granola, delicious pastries.... You really can't go wrong with a stay here.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Polish first
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed here over the Christmas holidays and had a mixed experience. Guest services staff are outstanding. The restaurant, and breakfast in particular are also outstanding. Decor of the suites in the barn are charming. But given the premium price, we found some things lacking. The plumbing fixtures were not terrific quality, shower was either scalding hot or cold. Steam shower was not operating as it should. Soundproofing was non-existent, we could here every footfall and toilet flush from the suite above us. Our patio was covered in rust stains--not picturesque.

When making the reservation we agreed to move to a downgraded suite mid-trip because the Inn was sold out. This is where things really went downhill. The room we were moved to was outdated, small, dark, cramped, cold, with lots of road noise from the highway. The room wasn't worth a fraction of what we were being charged. We learned that the remainder of the Inn had been booked by a wedding party, and the thought of being in a miserable room and being outsiders to a private (and potentially loud) party made the surroundings even less appealing. Thankfully guest services saved the day. They were kind enough to waive the 100% cancellation charges for the remaining nights (as they should), and also found us a suite in a nearby town. We ended up being very happy with the new place.

Again, can't say enough good about the guest services staff and the restaurant. We stay in a lot of high-end places, and by comparison the suites here come up short. But guest services did the right thing in finding us an alternative and waiving cancellation charges.

Room Tip: If you stay here, only consider a suite in the barn.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Chicag0AB
Farmhouse Conci... S, Manager at Farmhouse Inn, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
We appreciate and read every review posted on Trip Advisor- our guests’ feedback is invaluable to us and helps us make improvements. The wonderful comment about our Guest Services and Restaurant teams reinforces what we already knew- they’re the best at what they do.
Part of that outstanding service is making sure all our guests are happy. In this case we even waived our very firm cancellation policy as we knew that the guest would be extremely unhappy if they continued to stay with us.
As this review states, this guest was aware that they’d be moving to a much smaller room and that we did have a group here. The group was here for a celebration and since they were all traveling internationally, they had booked their rooms several months in advance. When we took this reservation we did make the circumstances clear to this guest. As a rule, we do not move our guests from a large room to a smaller one, as the results never seem to be satisfying, as is clear in this case. But they assured us that moving rooms would not be an issue for them.
This guest was booked into a Barn Suite for the first few nights, undoubtedly the most luxurious, newest and most spacious of our rooms at 700 square feet. The guest then moved into one of our Heritage Rooms. As stated, they were aware that they’d be moving to a room that was half the size and wasn’t new construction. The Heritage Rooms are still some of our favorite on the property, historic and charming- we love the wood burning fireplace, redwood dry sauna and rain shower. However, we understand that they aren’t for everyone and that when you’ve been in a Barn room they do feel quite different.
We try to be as upfront as we can but we understand that without being here in person it is hard to fully understand what moving rooms might mean. Again, we appreciate all feedback and will take into consideration all review comments.
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We visited this restaurant last Saturday at the recommendation of my sister (who was with me) and who knows a few of the Sommeliers there. We were not disappointed.

What a wonderful atmosphere the restaurant has created. Its not too large and feels more like sitting in somebody's dining room at home. The staff are very professional and attentive. I often find that high end restaurants (and I have visited many) in their quest to give great service, often become too overwhelming and when you are in the middle of a conversation and there are continuous interruptions, this can become annoying. It appears the staff have been taught how to gauge when or when not is an appropriate time to interrupt and just went about their service without us noticing, yet provided outstanding service.

The food… well, what can I say? Amazing. The starter selection made it a difficult choice but we all chose well. For the main course; it has been years since I had venison as I often find it "too gamey". Not the case here. Cooked to perfection with a delicious jus accompanying it with fresh vegetables and spaetzle made exactly how it should be made. The lemon dessert trio was incredible and an absolute must is to savour the home made vanilla ice cream with salt caramel.

All in all. An excellent experience and a place I can confidently recommend to other people. Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lisawhistler
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 January 2014

No question this place is right at the top of the list of the top dining spots in Sonoma. Everything about the place is great. The food is exquisitely prepared and each dish is accompanied by perfectly paired and interesting sides. Excellent service and a well chosen wine list, with excellent guidance from the attentive and knowledgeable sommelier make dining here a pleasure. Had the rabbit, the venison, the duck entree's... all superb! VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I had read a lot of the reviews on trip advisor before booking at the Farmhouse Inn. Overall, I agree much more with the positive reviews after staying here myself for six nights. I thought that there were a lot of extras that made the hotel special. The Breakfast was outstanding, the nightly treats at turndown were fabulous, the bathroom was a spa haven.

We stayed in a barn luxury room and were able to upgrade from a cottage room for a very reasonable price. I will say that the lower cost rooms are very close to a road that is traveled by vehicles at high speed so I wouldn't be surprised if those rooms do get a lot of that road noise. There have also been comments about a sewage smell and there was a morning that I smelled it although it didn't last and it was only for a brief period. My husband swears that it was not him.

My favorite part was the tub and complimentary bathsalts and scrubs available. Very relaxing. The bath products are also excellent...they smell great and feel awesome on your skin.

The staff was really laidback and helpful. I found them to be just right. I"m a New Yorker so I move quick and don't like to chat about nonsense for twenty minutes. The staff was engaging without me feeling like I couldn't get away from the converstation.

I did not love our spa experience. The ladies who gave us the massages were kind but here is a perfect example of being too chatty. The prenatal massage that I got was not worth it....don't even bother because they just basically move their hands over your skin with oil. I've been getting massages frequently and none of the prenatals I've had have been so non-massage-like. I respect any fear of liability but had I been told what the massage would have been like, I simply wouldn't have paid for it. Plus the technician stood over me as I signed and filled out the tip on the charge slip. Made me very uncomfortable. My husband did enjoy his deep tissue massage so I have no doubt that a good massage can be had. I just didn't love my experience.

We did have dinner at the resaurant and loved our meal. The service was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed each course.

I'd love to stay here again. I thought it was wonderful. I would suggest to go ahead and order the cheese basket for your arrival. There is no room service which is a bummer but understandable given the restaurant on site.

Room Tip: Just ask for a quiet room. The barn rooms are the best but even if you are in the cottage rooms you...
Green Features: You don't get to take the toiletries home with you but you also don't have to struggle getting the shampoo out of those little disposable bottles.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank heather m
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Fabulous rooms, fabulous food, fabulous service. Can't speak highly enough of this hotel. First visit to California and the hotel alone made us want to go back. Attention to detail was amazing. No hesitation to recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 January 2014

My wife and I stayed here for her birthday over Labor Day weekend. All the hotel had left was the Heritage Deluxe room above the restaurant area. Initially I was worried about the noise but it was perfectly quiet and private. The room was very luxurious and the fireplace and other touches made it very romantic. The bathroom was nearly as large as the room with a steam shower as well as a jaccuzi tub. The breakfast on the patio was delicous and very tranquil. The restaurant at the hotel was also not overrated, excellent food and service. The room service would leave different things in your room each night, one day it was a homemade s'mors kit. We sat outside around the firepit a couple of different nights and had a nice time meeting other guests. Truly a wine country gem of a hotel. Great location for experiencing both Napa & Sonoma Valley wineries.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forestville
H2 Hotel
Bodega Bay Lodge
Bodega Bay Lodge
#1 of 5 in Bodega Bay
Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa

Been to Farmhouse Inn? Share your experiences!