The Farmhouse Inn is undergoing massive construction. We were unaware of the extent of the construction when we chose Farmhouse for the first three nights of our honeymoon. We arrived hoping for the tranquil retreat that appears in the Tripadvisor and website photos, but almost every corner of the property is under construction. Chain link fences surround much of property, and I counted 4 to 5 pieces of heavy equipment and more than a dozen construction workers each day. The noise started around 8:30 each morning and continued through 5:00PM. Although we were generally out during the day, the constant noise and presence of workers meant that we did not feel comfortable using the spa services or the pool as we had hoped to. In our first room we had to completely draw the blinds just to use the bathroom, since workers were literally a few feet outside the window. Parking could also be a challenge because of all the construction vehicles and equipment. We had to wait for a bulldozer and a backhoe to move just to be able to get our bags out of our room.
At this price point, we didn't think we should have to overlook so much inconvenience. I've read the other Tripadvisor reviews of Farmhouse and I've seen other travelers' photos, and I feel like we paid for an experience that we didn't receive. Many of the other guests we met expressed frustration with the construction situation too. No one seemed to know what it would be like before they arrived. After we spoke to their customer service representative, Farmhouse did upgrade our room to one of the nicest barn suites, and agreed to give a small credit to our account (though the total credit was less than a quarter of what we paid for a single night). They also offered us one free night for a future visit once the construction is complete. But we won't have another honeymoon, and we live on the east coast, so this wasn't much compensation. Most disappointing was that the staff didn't seem very understanding or apologetic about how obtrusive the construction is. They were sorry we were unhappy, but we were told they are just "used to it" now. And of course they were keen to tell us about how their capacity would increase and how nice it would be in the future. I found this insensitive to the guests who are paying to stay there now.
The good: The interiors of the rooms are lovely. The bed was very comfortable, the bathrooms are luxurious, and the fireplace is very romantic. The nights are cool, and so we used our fireplace regularly. The restaurant was, as advertised, excellent. We had a large, complimentary two-course breakfast each morning, and an excellent dinner our first night. The sommelier is superb. The concierge staff was friendly and eager to help us make dinner reservations or schedule tastings.
Bottom line: This will be a lovely hotel when it is complete. The quality of the rooms, service, and food are excellent. But until the construction is finished, there are many other options in the area that do not come with the noise and inconvenience. Especially for the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the Russian River Valley of Sonoma, the Farmhouse experience is an authentic wine country haven of stylish comfort, hand crafted amenities, and attention to every detail. We are surrounded by world class wineries and 100's of acres of vineyards. Our unique West County locations offers an incredible wine country experience with the added benefits of the majestic redwood forest and the breathtaking Sonoma Coast all within miles of the resort. With only 25 rooms we pride ourselves on the Inn’s intimacy and privacy, creating a feeling of visiting a private estate. Once at the resort you can enjoy our 11 year awarded Michelin-starred restaurant featuring the best of Sonoma dining and surrender to our Farm-to-Table Spa with customized, hand crafted rituals using ingredients from our fruit, flower and herb gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia and getaroom.com so you can book your Farmhouse Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Farmhouse Inn And Restaurant
- Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant Hotel Forestville
- Farmhouse Inn Sonoma County/Forestville, CA