All reviews steam shower rabbit bath salts russian river valley wine country fire pit heated floors wine pairing cookies bath bar concierge staff michelin star restaurant graham crackers indoor outdoor fireplace road noise turn down service barn rooms
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The Farmhouse Inn is undergoing massive construction. We were unaware of the extent of the construction when we chose Farmhouse for the first three nights of our honeymoon. We arrived hoping for the tranquil retreat that appears in the Tripadvisor and website photos, but almost every corner of the property is under construction. Chain link fences surround much of property, and I counted 4 to 5 pieces of heavy equipment and more than a dozen construction workers each day. The noise started around 8:30 each morning and continued through 5:00PM. Although we were generally out during the day, the constant noise and presence of workers meant that we did not feel comfortable using the spa services or the pool as we had hoped to. In our first room we had to completely draw the blinds just to use the bathroom, since workers were literally a few feet outside the window. Parking could also be a challenge because of all the construction vehicles and equipment. We had to wait for a bulldozer and a backhoe to move just to be able to get our bags out of our room.

At this price point, we didn't think we should have to overlook so much inconvenience. I've read the other Tripadvisor reviews of Farmhouse and I've seen other travelers' photos, and I feel like we paid for an experience that we didn't receive. Many of the other guests we met expressed frustration with the construction situation too. No one seemed to know what it would be like before they arrived. After we spoke to their customer service representative, Farmhouse did upgrade our room to one of the nicest barn suites, and agreed to give a small credit to our account (though the total credit was less than a quarter of what we paid for a single night). They also offered us one free night for a future visit once the construction is complete. But we won't have another honeymoon, and we live on the east coast, so this wasn't much compensation. Most disappointing was that the staff didn't seem very understanding or apologetic about how obtrusive the construction is. They were sorry we were unhappy, but we were told they are just "used to it" now. And of course they were keen to tell us about how their capacity would increase and how nice it would be in the future. I found this insensitive to the guests who are paying to stay there now.

The good: The interiors of the rooms are lovely. The bed was very comfortable, the bathrooms are luxurious, and the fireplace is very romantic. The nights are cool, and so we used our fireplace regularly. The restaurant was, as advertised, excellent. We had a large, complimentary two-course breakfast each morning, and an excellent dinner our first night. The sommelier is superb. The concierge staff was friendly and eager to help us make dinner reservations or schedule tastings.

Bottom line: This will be a lovely hotel when it is complete. The quality of the rooms, service, and food are excellent. But until the construction is finished, there are many other options in the area that do not come with the noise and inconvenience. Especially for the price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Ktdumont
csb0214, Guest Relations Manager at Farmhouse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

I am deeply sorry that this guest’s experience was not what he had envisioned. It is true, we are expanding, but we strive to be very sensitive to each of our guests that stay with us during this time. I personally talked to this guest throughout the course of his stay and thought I conveyed genuine concern. I understood that this was a special trip for him and wanted him to enjoy his stay so I upgraded him to one of our largest luxury suites. I also sent champagne in honor of his honeymoon and issued him a resort credit. I even offered to find another place for him to stay, but he decided to stay and make the best of it. I appreciate that he has the vision to see how beautiful our property will be upon completion and given the opportunity, I hope he will accept my invitation to return and give us another try.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We booked two rooms here over the 4th of July weekend for a quick couples getaway. The property exceeded our expectations on all fronts: rooms, grounds, food, staff & vibe.

The in room sauna and jacuzzi bath are an ideal way to relax on a cool Sonoma evening. The bonfire & s'mores kits invite conversation amongst other guests. Breakfast and dinner at the restaurant were too notch and the wine list & knowledgeable staff unbeatable.

During afternoons by the pool, the concierge team was quick to pour a glass of wine or make suggestions for how to spend an evening.

The only fault I could come up with -- and this is a stretch -- is that an outdoor jacuzzi would be a nice addition. The view of the stars would in Sonoma would be even more enjoyable from a hot jacuzzi.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank maggioant
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We make it a point to stay at as many properties on the T&L Gold List as we can. When Farmhouse Inn was recently added we were excited to have another option in wine country. I was minutes away from booking this property for our upcoming Northern California getaway when I decided to confirm they have Vegan options for breakfast and dinner. Speaking with Jennifer, I was told they do not have options for Vegan dining.

We have stayed in many a five star property including places you'd never imagine they would offer Vegan dining choices. To find out Farmhouse Inn wouldn't even consider Vegan options is surprising. Further we believe that to qualify for the T&L Gold List a property needs to be at the top of the chart in service. When you won't accommodate the dining needs of all your guests, you are not providing exemplary service.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank CaliShawn
csb0214, Owner at Farmhouse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2014

At Farmhouse we try, to the best of our ability, to accommodate the needs of our guests. But, we are not a vegan restaurant. Vegetarian we can do, easily, but vegan is a whole different set of needs. For a guest of the inn, we will prepare something special and entirely for them. But it's outside what our restaurant is known for and what we do best. It's a service that we will provide when necessary. We are incredibly willing to accommodate a wide variety of needs, from allergies to those pertaining to health concerns. This reviewer never stayed with us, and never dined with us.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Outstanding experience, from the food to the friendly service. I was a bit worried it would feel "stuffy", but the staff was extremely friendly and helped with some recommendations for our trip. We only dined here, did not stay.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Chad K
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This property has lots going for it. Superb concierges who planned two amazing day outings for us in just minutes. Creative and delicious breakfasts. Beautiful barn room - one of the best hotel rooms we've ever experienced. Excellent restaurant with great wine service. There are a few pitfalls, but they are minor. The property is undergoing major construction, which is a visual distraction. River Road is very busy. The property itself is small, and the views from the rooms are directly onto a wooded hillside - no romantic vineyard views. We would stay again for the extraordinary service.

Room Tip: Barn rooms on 2nd story at rear are most private.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple