“Relaxed and Enjoyed”
Review of Farmhouse Inn

Farmhouse Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Forestville
Reviewed 17 September 2007

We spent four wonderful days and nights at the Inn. Upon arrival we were taken to the room we booked online Room 10, one of two located in the main house and restaurant. At first it looked small,but as we started to find all the ameneties and their functions, the room grew around us. Huge comfortable bed,gas fireplace,cd/dvd player,flat screen tv,and sitting area with cozy couch. And the Bathroom was exceptional,radiant heated floor,marble or slated soaking tub with a spillover,and amazing fill spout that dropped from the ceiling into the tub. In addition the steam shower had two seperate rain heads dropping from the ceiling. Breakfast each morning was a pure delight, something different and delectable from the farms and gardens nearby depending on the seasons. We enjoyed two wonderful dinners at the restaurant, the food and presentation again was excellent, and the staff made each meal special. We topped off our stay on the last evening with a wonderful swedish massage, what a finish to a relaxing week.

Stayed: September 2007

Reviewed 13 September 2007

I would have to agree with a previous reviewer that our stay at The Farmhouse Inn was lacking in some details that would have made it an exceptional experience. We stayed in Room 4, which, while charmingly decorated, was lacking in the five-star touches that we were expecting. For example, the armoire doors did not stay open on their own, so in order to watch television we had to tie the door open with a bathrobe tie. In the bathroom (which was very large), there was a cut-off shower curtain covering the window, and the showerhead was definitely not up to par. (Plus, there is no shower curtain or door on the other side of the tub, so water sprayed all over floor during showers). Some storage in the bathroom for toiletries would have been nice, as well. The bath products that were provided were very nice and replenished daily. The cookies and milk/water in the rooms are a nice touch; it would have been nice to also have the s’mores kits left in the rooms, so that we didn’t have to search for them in the inn during dinner service. Reviewers have commented on road noise, which I didn’t expect to be bothered by, since I live in a city, but it did wake me up all three mornings we were there. The breakfasts were delicious, and our waiter each morning was wonderful, but it would be nice if coffee were available before 8:00 a.m. (One morning the road noise woke us before 6, and we drove into Healdsburg to get coffee). I think the aspect in which The Farmhouse is most lacking is in a personal touch; the friend I was traveling with was celebrating a birthday during our stay, which I mentioned in correspondence with guest services, but the occasion was not mentioned nor marked in any way (with the exception of our breakfast waiter, who did wish her happy birthday and ask what her plans for the day were). Certainly, not a requirement, but it would have been a nice touch. The grounds are very pretty, and the property is located near a number of exceptional wineries. All in all, we had a pleasant stay, but not a remarkable one.

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank TAMember484
Reviewed 12 September 2007

The Farmhouse Inn is outstanding. The staff were excellent, professional and friendly. We talked to the owner for serveral minutes when we checked in and never felt talked down to. In fact, I have never felt more welcome checking into a hotel or bed and breakfast. The rooms are beautiful and super cozy. The restaurant is one of the best dining experiences we have ever had and we often eat at top-rated establishments. Breakfast was a dream and eating on the patio set the stage for a luxurious and lazy day. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the sauna and huge tub were very nice touches. We have read some of the reviews on this page and noticed a couple of complaints. Only one can we agree with: temperature control in the rooms. We stayed in room five and the air conditioner was in the bathroom, which meant the person in the bathroom froze while the person in the bedroom got a little warmer. This was quickly rectified once the bathroom door was opened. We had one other minor complaint and that involved the size of the room. It was dificult to lay out a suitcase anywhere but the bed. If a suitcase was on the floor it made it dificult to walk around the room.

Despite two very minor complaints, this was the best lodging experience we've ever had. Not only will we stay at the Farmhouse Inn again, we will encourage our friends to do so.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 7 September 2007

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary in wine country and stayed at the Farmhouse Inn. We were greeted by Marilyn who was AMAZINGLY helpful and attentive to all our needs during our four day trip. (The head concierge, Meilani, was not as impressive.) Upon entering our room we were suprised to find a box of truffles with a "Happy Anniversary" note attached. Our room, number 6, was very large and comfy--although the air conditioner was placed in an odd spot.
We were most impressed with the breakfasts and our meal at the restaurant was SUPERB!!!
We took advantage of the pool and the spa. The spa experience was good--but not great. The staff was very friendly and accomodating--just wasn't impressed with the actual massages.
All in all we couldn't have enjoyed our trip more. We would stay at the Farmhouse Inn again.

Reviewed 6 September 2007

I had high expectations when I booked my stay at the Farmhouse and I am pleased to say that they were exceeded at every turn. From the moment we arrived we felt totally welcome. Our room (#5) was cosy and welcoming. To those that say it is small...it didn't bother us at all. We spent most of our time at the pool or visiting wineries, the coast etc. We actually moved to room #8 for our last night b/c someone had room #5 reserved (we knew this when we booked). It was much bigger so I would suggest it for those concerned about size. We dined at the restaurant on our first night, which was a good idea after a long day of travel from Toronto. The food and service were beyond compare. They prepared a special vegetarian meal for me, which was an incredible array of items that looked like a piece of art (it wasn't just a plate containing all of the "sides" from the menu). We tried some beautiful wines on the suggestion of the sommelier (I'm still talking about the Rousanne) that made the experience even better. And then there's the breakfast. I found 9:00 to be on the late side for breakfast, but since it is a small inn I understand why they have to set a time that works for the majority. In any case the food was worth the wait! My favourite items were the tropical fruit with pina colada yogourt topped with toasted coconut, and the yummy scrambled eggs with red peppers and cheese -- not to mention the scones that accompanied every breakfast. Be prepared to skip lunch! We also really enjoyed the pool and the spa. If you are looking for some peace and quiet after a busy day of wine tasting you will certainly find it there. And then there are the extras...the box of DVDs and the movie "snacks", the milk and cookies at bedtime, the firepit and the smores, and of course the attentive service from absolutely every person we encountered...special thanks to Ginny, Marilyn, Joe, and Meilani, and Nico from the restaurant. We are already looking forward to our next visit! Kelly and John - Toronto, Canada

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 1 September 2007

My husband and I stayed here for three nights around the July 4th holiday this year. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

While our room was indeed on the small side, we had no issues with comfort. We knew we were booking one of the smallest rooms on the property anf were prepared for that. After all, we came here to enjoy the beautiful Russian River Valley and all it has to offer. Our room was simply a place to sleep and freshen up before and after our activites for the day!

The service we received on the property couldn't have been better. In fact, I contacted one of the staff before our arrival and she did some legwork for us in booking a winery tour we were very interested in doing. Anything we needed, all we had to do was ask.

Breakfasts were phenomenal. We were in heaven. We also had dinner at the Inn's restaurant one night and found it worthy of all the accolades we had read beforehand. Our meals were fantastic. The fresh, local, and seasonal preparations and ingredients were great. If you go, take a few moments to go inthe beack and check out the herb garden - beautiful!

Lastly - I wanted to point out we did have a problematic plumbing issue crop up in our room on our first night. The staff did anything and everything they could to rectify the situation - including personal contact and intervention from one of the owners. He was clearly interested in our enjoying our stay at his property to the fullest.

When we go back to the Sonoma valley, and we will - we plan on staying at the Farmhouse again!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Farmhouse Inn for two nights as part of a 6 day trip to Northern California. Our room (#8) was nicely furnished, but a bit dark since the smallish room was painted in dark colors and had only a few narrow windows (other rooms appeared to have larger windows). While the furniture was comfortable and in good condition, it seemed a little too large for the layout of the room, making it difficult for two average sized people to move around at the same time. One design quirk that is potentially dangerous is the raised sleeping area. The light that was supposed to illuminate the step on my side of the bed was either not working or burnt out (and not fixed during our stay I might add) and I tripped during the middle of our first night. I was able to catch myself, but I could easily see a guest stumbling out of bed and breaking an ankle. The sauna takes up a good deal of space and I wonder how many guests actually make use of it (maybe in the winter). As noted in earlier reviews the AC unit is located in the bathroom and it is quite noisy. If you want a quiet room you have to close the door to the bathroom, but this makes it difficult to maintain the temperature. We opted to open our small windows since the evening temps were cool (low 60's) and dealt with the road noise (not bad from 11 pm -6 am - but rooms closer to the road might have a problem).

The pool area was nice for a late afternoon swim, but I would not plan to spend a full day there. There was a nice outdoor firepit and smores kits were available for guests in the evenings. The Inn has a decent selection of movies that you can borrow to watch on your in-room DVD player.

Breakfasts were good, but only available from 9-10. Coffee and tea are available beginning at 8:15, but there are no muffins, scones etc. if you would like to get an early start on the day. One minor breakfast issue was that the Inn did not seem to have enough newspapers for the guests. This might work if breakfast is served in shifts (assume some guests will leave their paper when the leave), it does not work when everyone shows up between 9:00 and 9:10.

Service at the Inn was fine, but I did not feel as though there was a lot of personal touch or genuine warmth. My wife called about 10 days before we were to arrive to speak with someone about possible lunch and winery options and asked to have suggestions emailed to her (since we would be traveling later that week and so we would have a record). She never received the email, but when we arrived home we found a message on our home answering machine asking us to call back for suggestions. Not so helpful for planning purposes.

We dined at the restaurant one night and the food was very, very good, the service was professional, but once again I just felt that a certain human element was missing. I don't know if the recent accolades for the Inn and restaurant (Wine Spectator, SF Chronicle, etc.) have given the staff a big head or if everyone is just so serious that they forget to have fun. I would actually recommend Mosaic for dinner over the Farmhouse Inn. The food is nearly the equal, the outdoor patio is lovely, the prices are lower and I found the service to be a little less stiff.

Overall the Farmhouse Inn was a fine place to stay, but I would be unlikely to stay here again given the cost and the issues I identified above. For the money I think you can do better in Healdsburg.

1  Thank FenwayFan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Forestville
Honor Mansion, A Wine Country Resort
Fountaingrove Inn
Fountaingrove Inn
#4 of 24 in Santa Rosa
Hotel Les Mars, Relais & Chateaux

Been to Farmhouse Inn? Share your experiences!