“A new favorite!”
Review of Hotel Saudade

Hotel Saudade
Ranked #1 of 9 Gradac B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Tripadvisor helped me learn about this hotel, and I'm absolutely delighted to pass it on!

Background: I had a few extra days between Split and Dubrovnik, and couldn't decide whether to visit one of the islands or to stay on the mainland coast. I wanted a peaceful, laid-back place without crowds, with a lovely view of a beautiful Croatian town and scenery, and with great access to the sea. I also wanted very easy access to the location, as I did not have a car.

Reservations: Super easy. I booked online and received several emails warmly welcoming me and offering hospitality, such as a ride from the bus stop (i.e., just call, and someone will come pick up guests and bags).

Getting there: Gradac is a mellow little town with a nice resort vibe, and the hotel is on the quieter end of the town (10 min leisurely walk from the less-quiet end!). Gradac is about halfway between Split and Dubrovnik, right on the coast. The bus from Split took about 2 hours, and the bus stop is about 500m from the hotel. I did not actually need the offered ride - happened to meet a staff member on a motoribike at the bus stop and he pointed me and my small rolling bag toward the hotel. About halfway through my relaxed stroll to the hotel, he appeared again to take my bag and escort me to the hotel. Check-in was extremely smooth and friendly. The lobby was spacious and clean with free and fast wireless internet.

Room: 2nd floor, and exactly as it looked in the photos. Immaculately clean, extremely large, very comfortable furniture, sparkling bathroom, and a fantastic large balcony with new furniture and a spectacular view! The one issue with the room was that it did not have wireless (it did have high speed internet via ethernet, but I did not have an adapter or wireless hub for my ipad).

Restaurant: I had an excellent fresh fish dinner (dentex; just pick your fish and trust the chef) with Croatian wine. Service was impeccable and friendly, and as always I was somewhat put to shame by the excellent English of the waiter. Please remember to learn at least some Croatian phrases, but also be aware that most of the staff also speak English beautifully. The breakfast (included) was hands down the best breakfast I encountered during my nearly 3 week Italy/Croatia trip. Plenty of sweet and savory options. I cannot say that the coffee was great, unfortunately, but it was fine.

Beach: The pebble beach is steps from the hotel - it's technically across a road, but a very small, very quiet road. There are sun loungers and umbrellas for rent, and the scene is very mellow. There were quite a few families and smaller groups there, but it felt very peaceful nonetheless. Remember your water shoes, as this beach like all other Croatian beaches has a rocky bottom. Should you forget them, or any other beach necessities, there are lots of little shops just up the road.

Staff: Absolutely wonderful. I have to say I felt quite at home and I was a bit sad to leave!
When you visit, please send them a hello from that girl from New York City!

Room Tip: Probably a better view from higher floors, although I thought the 2nd floor view was spectacular (se...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank RedSox45

Reviewed 10 August 2011

We recommended this hotel. All are professionals and the services are on top level.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Adonis J
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Great hotel with friendly staff. Very clean and beautiful. It was a pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ivett1975
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We have spent a great week of first class vacation in the hotel Saudade. The hotel fully deserves its 4 stars (if ve could rate it, we would given it a fifth star). It is beautifully situated near the sea with a very compelling view of the town Gradac, the surrounding sea and some nearby islands. Hotel staff's extreme kindness and compliance made for an excellent impression throughout the week. The rooms are very nice and the food is excellent. If you combine all that with some music it becomes prefect. Also there is a lot of different choices for a trip either on the mainland or the nearby islands.

We would strongly recommend this destination to everyone in need of a good vacation.
Because we also need a good vacation we will be returning to Gradac as soon as possible.

Tone&Jožica Slovenia

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank VENETONE
Reviewed 16 June 2011

This June my husband was on holiday in hotel Saudade in Croatia. He was phoning me during his first days many times that the hotel is fantastic - I must seen it. In spite of the fact that my husband's holiday date was not good for me I decided that I came to him. When I arrived to the hotel and the owner of the hotel got the know that I arrived he prepared dinner for us - local specials and good croatian wine.
I was very surprised - room was very cosy with view on the sea. The staff was excellent and beach was very clean. The sea was unique. The best hotel I have ever been.
I will be back with my grandson.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank monika_cerna
Reviewed 16 June 2011

This June I travelled solo to the hotel Saudade. It is the most beautiful place in Gradac. The hotel is located by the sea. Hotel services were excellent. Everywhere was felt family atmosphere. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. The hotel rooms were very clean every day. The hotel cuisine offers traditional and local specials. I would recommend this hotel to all who wants to stay at peaceful area.
I will be back to the hotel as soon as possible.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank miloslav_cerny
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Run, don't walk to this hotel, by far the best we stayed at during our entire Croatian holiday. Fantastic value for money and completely relaxed and peaceful in May (might be different in July and August, and once word about how great this place is gets out).Only open since April 2011, the hotel is by far the best we stayed at during our entire Croatia holiday! We absolutely stumbled onto it, almost giving up on the town of Gradac before we luckily found it near the end of the small coast lane at the end of town. Modern, bright, sparkling clean, peaceful, quiet - what more can we say?
A 10-minute walk to the town of Gradac, with several nice restaurants, even in the off-peak season (May). Pebbly beach is right across the street. The Ploce ferry boat to Peljesac/Korcula is only about a 10-minute drive south. You can easily take day trips north to Split and south to Dubrovnik. Phenomenally helpful staff made us feel like members of the family. They offer all kinds of tips and historical information on Dubrovnik, Split, and the nearby islands of Korcula, Mljet, and Hvar. You could not ask for a a nicer group! Breakfast was above average. Dinner menu (we didn't eat here) looked to be extensive and the prices were comparable with other nearby restaurants. Wellness center in the basement; almost impossible to find at any other hotel in Croatia with rooms at this price.
Every room has a spectacular view of Gradac, the beach, and the most remarkable sunsets we've ever seen. Our room was very large, well equipped, with a beautiful, immaculate bathroom (with a tub, no less!). The hotel is so new you could still get a hint of fresh paint in the room.

Room Tip: All room views are great, but upper floors best
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RickEWaterloo_B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gradac
Boutique Hotel Marco Polo
#7 of 10 in Gradac
Villa Elvira
Villa Elvira
#6 of 10 in Gradac

Been to Hotel Saudade? Share your experiences!