“pet friendly rooms”

Surf & Sand Lodge
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
“pet friendly rooms”
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Surf and Sand in one of the pet friendly rooms in July with our jack Russell.. We arrived late and unfortunately got a room that didn't get cleaned properly. I notified the staff immediately after checking in and they were great. Keep in mind it was 10:00pm on a Saturday night and the staff member came right over to view the room. Not only did I get a discount on the room for that night, but I was placed in a top notch room the following morning. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't take my dog!..haha.. not only are dogs difficult to manage while trying to enjoy a nice weekend, but you have to expect to stay in a room that isn't going to be perfect. With that said. I would definitely recommend the Surf and Sand to anyone. The staff are great and if you have any problems they will be there for ya.. -Dale A.. Sacramento Ca, .

Room Tip: I'd recommend leaving the pets at home and stay in a non pet room..
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Michelle S, General Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Thank you for your comments. I am happy that our staff promptly took care of you. We hope you come and stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed overnight here and loved the view of the ocean! I stayed on the second floor and felt safe enough to leave the patio door open, with the screen door closed so I could hear the waves and the fog horn in the distance. Great sleeping sounds! The room is simple, nothing fancy, but you are not there to stay in the room! You can walk the path behind the hotel and 200 ft. in front of you is access to the beach. I thought the price was reasonable for the view and access if that is what you are looking for!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 204. private deck and great view!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Michelle S, Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay.
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We totally loved this place . From the front rest lady who was compley knowledgable about the town and where to find good food that the locals like, to the property being well cleaned and landscaped, to the rooms being clean and tidy . Not to mention the view from your private outdoor deck was priceless. We will definetly come back !

• Stayed August 2012
Michelle S, Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property. It is great to know that we pleased you on all fronts! We are delighted you found our service and our hotel met your expectations. We hope to see you again in the near future!
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I have stayed at the nearby Beachcomer Motel and loved it but they were full. This property has recently been purchased by them and we are enjoying it as well. Just to the north it has the walking trail and views and is very clean and quiet. Just what we needed for a couple days escape to the ocean.

Room Tip: We got a main floor room with a balcony. Very nice but upstairs has a little better view and no one...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Bev8789
Michelle S, General Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Sounds like you got the rest and relaxation you needed. We hope to see you again soon.
Traverse City
Reviewed 8 July 2012

This is the 3rd time I have stayed here over the last approx.10 years and frankly I was concerned when I read other reviews of the property. I knew I wanted to be on the oceanfront though, so I took the chance. Everything they said was true, the room furnishings are still the same ones from when the motel opened, and they are definitely looking sad and dated. I must say though that the room was clean, the bed was comfortable and you can't beat the view. Just because of this view and the ease at which you can get to the paved beach walkway and dunes, I would recommend staying here. The motel is under new ownership and they have a lot of updating to do if they want to keep up, but basically its the view that wins out.

Room Tip: Oceafront rooms are the best, first floor direct access to room from beach walkway was a concern, bu...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Michtraveler_12
Thank you for your feedback. We are excited to have new owners and we are planning a renovation very soon. We hope you will come back when it's complete and enjoy our rooms and the views.
Reviewed 5 July 2012

It is so true that location is almost everything, but you would still like a room worth the $$. First off the male clerk at the front desk was rather useless. He could never really answer any of my questions, like, is there a discount for senior citizens and at what age do you consider a person to be a senior for a discount? Some places I've stayed discount a person 55 yrs and above. Do you take any other cards other than AAA for a discounted rate? These questions were asked before we arrived, plus our booked rate of $150. a night was then going for less when we checked in----$139. a night. I mentioned this on the phone before we arrived and was told there would be a note put in my file and upon check-in I might be asked if I had an AAA card to get that lower price. I told the guy that their website doesn't state you have to be a member of AAA to get that price. When we checked in we weren't sure whether we would get it at lower rate, but we did. I was prepared to fight the higher rate we booked it 2 weeks before.
We had the lower King with a view. Location is great, but was disappointed a bit in the room. First off, the rug had two huge stains right in front of the TV. There were stains on the see-through curtains as well. The wallpaper in the bath was peeling off and one night stand looked like it was chewed by a dog. The room still felt like it was clean enough though.
During the night our sink leaked all over the floor. I went up and told the clerk, and he offered me a bucket and would put in a call to have it fixed. NO APOLOGIES at all or an offer for someone to come clean up the mess. A guy came to fix the leak by replacing the pipe. It was never fixed properly and the sink still leaked, but not as bad. I had to go up and get a bucket again-----NO APOLOGIES again.
The bad part of this location is it's right on the 10 mile bike trail and you have people walking, riding bikes, strollers and just always people going by your window all hours of the day just steps from your room. I'm talking 5 feet! Stay upstairs and be a bit safer.
It would have been nice if they had offered a continental breakfast or at least fresh brewed coffee.
We did find most of the people we dealt with in the town really friendly and nice. I always appreciate that.

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs room. You will pay more, but it's not as busy with passerbys on the bike trai...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank feedie
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. First I would like to apologize. It is obvious we performed poorly in providing you with the hospitality experience you deserve. We take all feedback as an opportunity to improve. I am using your feedback to train our customer service team that it is all or nothing when it comes to the guest experience. On behalf of the staff, we sincerely apologize. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your time.
Cameron Park, California
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The room was very clean and quiet. We were on the 2nd floor and had a balcony with a beautiful ocean view. At night we slept with the sliding door open and the ocean sound and cool breeze were delightful. Room had a fridge but no microwave. The check-in staff was helpful. The only negative was that they offered no type of breakfast at all and we had to drive into the city where parking was not easy to find when we were there. Otherwise, we would recommend this hotel as a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Stay on the 2nd floor ocea view
Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank rmartin991
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your room with a view. Hopefully someday we will be able to offer a little breakfast for our guests. Next time we can recommend some other great breakfast places that aren't as busy with a little easier parking. Thank you again.