“Enjoyed my stay”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Fort Bragg
ANTIOCH
“Enjoyed my stay”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Stayed in one of the rooms with no view, as was visiting friends during the day and just needed a place to sleep. I was pleasantly surprised and the room was great. I really like that you actually enter a building to get to your room, felt secure. The bed was comfortable, everything was spotless and it was quiet. I found the people that greated me when checking in were very helpful and friendly. Parking was a little tight in the lot, but I didn't get there until about 10pm, staff came out and just ok'd me to park in the check in area, so not a big deal. I will reserve a room at Surf and Sand Lodge again when I am back in town.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Michelle S, General Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
We appreciate your comments greatly and look forward to having you back at our property in the near future! We thank you for the compliments and hope to be your go to vacation destination!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 1 October 2012

If there was breakfast available - the hotel would have rated an excellent. The room was very nice - good size, nicely decorated, clean. We had a second floor room with a balcony overlooking the beach. We were able to take a walk out on the beach - there is a path that goes from town to I am not sure where but you see people out jogging walking etc. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return. We were given restaurant recommendations for breakfast and dinner that were right on and we stopped and had ice cream at the wonderful ice cream shop in town after dinner.

Room Tip: Upper floors may be quieter but if you have children than a lower floor would be more convenient.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about our property! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit as well, we hope to be your go to vacation destination!
Penn Valley, California
Reviewed 19 September 2012

This is my second year staying at the Surf and Sand and I hope to make it an annual tradition. The new owners continue to make improvements to the rooms and the property as a whole. Sure the rooms have an 80's color scheme but the beds are comfortable and new and everything is very clean. The bike path, which goes for miles is right behind the hotel and the beach closest to the hotel has, in my opinion, the best tide pooling in the Fort Bragg area.

Room Tip: The best views of the ocean are obviously from the second floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our property, we greatly appreciate your feedback and we are very happy you enjoyed our property! We look forward to being your go to destination in Fort Bragg on your next visit.
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Clean and comfortable though rooms a little dated. Teresa at the front desk was most helpful. Romn had good view of ocean and small balcony. Located just north of town of Fort Bragg. Room was spacious and included a small refrigerator.

• Stayed September 2012
Michelle S, General Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again at The Beachcomber!
Chico, California
Reviewed 17 September 2012

My husband and I usually stay at The Beachcomber just up the street from the Surf and Sand Lodge, but The Beachcomber was full so we decided to give this place a try. We reserved a top floor queen room but because of their error we were given the wrong room and then upgraded to a top floor king room with a jacuzzi to make up for it.

Overall it was nice, but there were a few things about the room that I didn't like - the way the room is set up, the jacuzzi tub/shower is right near the front door and kind of in the middle of the room, and there's no vent fan or window or anything to let out the steam, except for the sliding door out to the patio... but the smoke detector was much closer to the shower than the sliding door was, so several times during my shower, it would start going off... quite jarring and not at all relaxing.

There's a "fireplace" in the room but it's sort of wedged over in a corner and it's actually a heater with a fake fire that you can turn on... which would still be nice - turn off the lights, turn on the fake fire, nice relaxing soak in the jacuzzi - except that it's so far in the corner and so dim that to have only the fake fire going would be to take a bath in total darkness. Even sitting on the bed which is a bit closer, you still couldn't really see the "fire".

Otherwise, the room was nice... unobstructed view of the ocean, nice deck that was a little more private than the Beachcomber, seemed to be in pretty good condition.

Main takeaways from this place: The decor is kind of silly and early '90s, when the parking lot is full it can be sort of difficult to get into or out of spots, there was no mention of wifi on the site or during check-in but they do have it, they do NOT offer breakfast and the smoke alarm situation was pretty frustrating.

I would probably stay here again but it wouldn't be my first choice considering what they do and do not have and that I know I can find other places in the same price range that offer the things they don't.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I know how frustrating it must have been for the smoke alarm to be going off and I apologize. We are planning a complete renovation at the beginning of the year and are excited for the changes. We are happy that you enjoyed the views and the private balcony. We hope that you will come stay with us again.
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Beautiful views from the rooms and great access to the cliff and beaches makes this place worth staying at. However, the wear and tear is evident. Fraying wallpaper in the bathroom, rusty ventilator as well. The general level of bedding and accessories is C plus. The bed was a bit below that. The layout of the room is clearly designed to get maximum sleeping space but the bathroom is smallish and the closet (at least in our room) was absurdly small for a unit with bed space for four adults. Located on the north side of Ft. Bragg, the nearest food is a Denny's but town is only a couple of miles away. There are no amenities on the site--no way to get breakfast or a snack, no pool, no hot tub, no one on duty a good part of the night. Barely a 2 1/2 star facility. Still, the view from the balcony is really nice.

Room Tip: Try for the second floor and you will be above the traffic on the walkway that is heavily used and h...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property. We are excited to do our first renovation since purchasing this property last year. We hope you will come back and stay with us again to see the improvements.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Surf and Sand in one of the pet friendly rooms in July with our jack Russell.. We arrived late and unfortunately got a room that didn't get cleaned properly. I notified the staff immediately after checking in and they were great. Keep in mind it was 10:00pm on a Saturday night and the staff member came right over to view the room. Not only did I get a discount on the room for that night, but I was placed in a top notch room the following morning. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't take my dog!..haha.. not only are dogs difficult to manage while trying to enjoy a nice weekend, but you have to expect to stay in a room that isn't going to be perfect. With that said. I would definitely recommend the Surf and Sand to anyone. The staff are great and if you have any problems they will be there for ya.. -Dale A.. Sacramento Ca, .

Room Tip: I'd recommend leaving the pets at home and stay in a non pet room..
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I am happy that our staff promptly took care of you. We hope you come and stay with us again.