“Update to my review of December 2013”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Surf & Sand Lodge

Surf & Sand Lodge
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Los Angeles, California
“Update to my review of December 2013”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This place is great for guests who enjoy long walks near the ocean and that is why I like staying here.

Thank you Tina (Guest Relations Manager) for your following response to my previous review and my WiFi experience at the Surf and Sand Lodge during November 2013: "The wi-fi, I can assure you, has recently (as of late December) been re-done and the signal is strong in every room."

Unfortunately, I have been back to stay twice since then and both times the WiFi is still unusable in the rooms that I stayed in. It appears the WiFi antennas are still located on the parking lot side of the buildings and that is basically too far away from where guests would typically use a laptop or other mobile device in the rooms (i.e. on the table near the sliding door that looks out toward the ocean). Mobile devices especially emit a weak signal back and the antennas must be located close enough for the WiFi connection to work properly. As I mentioned before in my last review the WiFi works OK if I take my Netbook out and sit in my car in the parking lot. But even there the speed was rather slow. How slow? Well, I performed 6 broadband speed tests and the average download speed was 0.67 Mbps with average latency time of 887 ms. According to the FCC in 2012 the average subscribed speed in homes was 15.6 Mbps, about 23 times faster. Of course the WiFi is not the primary reason anyone would want to stay here anyway but it would be sweet to be able to check my email in the room rather than sitting in the car in the parking lot. Another item that I mentioned in my last review was the foot wash stations and those were still not operational. Although it would be nice to rinse the beach sand and dirt off my shoes before entering the room I think fixing the WiFi situation would be a bigger plus for me since I’m not the one who has to vacuum the carpets. ;-)

A couple of additional FYIs for guests thinking about staying here. The downstairs king rooms do not have a closet but there are some hooks in the room entry hallway to hang a few clothes items. The sink is outside the bathroom and there is no towel rack there. So you must either lay the towels on the counter or hang them in the bath/toilet area. No breakfast is provided but there is a nice mini-fridge, coffee maker, and microwave in the rooms.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Surf_Sand_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Thank you Miki K for staying with us again and writing an updated review! I really appreciate the time you have taken and the fairness and honesty with which you evaluate us. I’m glad that you appreciated my previous response; I do try to my best to fully address every review and I’m happy to know that you found it helpful. And it makes me especially happy to see that your changed your rating of us from 3/5 to 4/5!
You are correct about the foot wash stations; apparently fixing them is a very large and time-consuming project that our maintenance team has not been able to undertake yet.
I asked our IT person about the things you mentioned and he says that yes the antennas/access points are indeed still located on the parking lot side of the buildings but since we are shaped like an “L” around the parking lot that is probably the best place for them to be.
I’m sorry that you still have trouble accessing the wifi from your room, and a little perplexed as well since we receive almost no reports of this happening with other guests and their devices.
Thank you for staying with us again and I am so glad that our hotel has risen in your opinion. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit!
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This place has the perfect location if you want to wake up, open your door to hear the crashing of the waves, and smell the sea air. The back patios back up to the paths where you can enjoy the ocean and views. Keep in mind that if you are one the ground floor, there are many others walking the path so if you want your privacy, close your curtains or ask for the second floor. It didn't bother us. The rooms are roomy and modern. Particularly nice was the larger mini fridge that held our groceries for the weekend. It does have a small freezer compartment. It's a short drive away to the center and restaurants. It's not walkable unless you have a long evening ahead. I would stay hear again and recommend it to others.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
I’m so glad that you enjoyed your stay, Ovenbird! You are right about our location as we are in a tranquil spot slightly north of town. This gives us closer ocean access than you could get in town, more uninterrupted views and – as you said – more chance to hear the lovely roar of the Pacific waves! Walking to town is a bit of a longer stroll, but driving there takes barely two minutes. I’m so happy to hear that you would recommend us and that you are coming back. We look forward to your next visit!
Pittsburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Love the beach always available on short notice.I bring the dog and whirlpool tubs make it that much better. Walk to beaches nice walking trail goes for miles.Sunsets are my favorite and most beautiful here.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you so much JenniferN for giving us such a great 5/5 review! I’m glad to hear that we are your choice for a spontaneous beach getaway. We will be so glad to welcome you back to our lovely slice of the coast on your next Fort Bragg visit!
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

We love this place and come back 3-4 times a year (and have for the past 10+ years). Purchased a couple years ago by the Beachcomber Motel family, it has been remodeled and updated so our favorite downstairs two-queen room now has a fridge and microwave, new furniture, ample lighting, an easy chair, table and two comfortable chairs, a large flat-screen TV, large granite sink area, and in a separate room, tub/shower and toilet. There is a clothes closet and a full-length mirror - the room is quite spacious and best of all has a great ocean view (and ocean roar, if you open your door to the deck where two chairs and a little table await). Our room did not have a screen door this time, but a call to the front desk resulted in one being installed within 10 minutes! While rates are higher than they used to be, you can stop in at the Beachcomber front desk and ask for a Beach Nuts card, good at both motels. Stay 6 nights and your 7th night is free - we usually stay 3 nights every 2-4 months, so we earn a couple free nights every year. Wi-fi speed varies according to time of day, but generally quite good. Just walk out the door and you're on the Old Haul Road just north of the railroad trestle - incredible sunsets and beautiful scenery.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet and have ocean views, except for the queen room on the front side of each "...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Surf_Sand_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you SaraEOakland for your lovely review! I'm so glad that your like our updates and renovations here; we did our best to include as many amenities and comforts as possible. We also do our best to address any guest concerns immediately, so I am very happy that your screen door was installed so quickly - that kind of service and quick response is what we pride ourselves on. We definitely look forward to welcoming you back on your next Fort Bragg visit - which sounds like it will be soon!
Berthoud, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife and I have stayed in Fort Bragg 6-8 times in the past 14 months, and had a previous favorite place to stay on the coast due to it's location right on the water, The Ocean View Lodge, even though the decor was quite out-dated. This time we decided to try a new spot, right next door to the Ocean View Lodge, so the view was still spectacular, and we had noticed on earlier trips that the Surf and Sand Lodge was being remodeled - so we decided over the New Year's holiday week to give it a try. We now have a new favorite, same spectacular view as our previous favorite, just as clean if not cleaner, and the remodel is very nice and up to date. Also - the decks are more screened and private! For some the beds might be a little soft - but they were fine for me ... and if you want, they also have Jacuzzi rooms available. We have stayed at 4-5 different places in Fort Bragg, the next time back it will be a return to the Surf and Sand Lodge

Room Tip: Absolutely take a second floor ocean view room .... you can hear the crash of the surf even with the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jcscofie
Michelle S, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
We are so glad you decided to try us for your most recent stay, jcscofie! It's great to hear that you are now going to be regular guests and that we are now your new favorite Fort Bragg hotel. We really appreciate you taking the time to give our hotel such a wonderful review; thank you!
Dublin, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed here 2 days over the New Years holiday and it was just perfect. The room was roomy with 2 queen beds, an armoire, an arm chair for reading and a small table with 2 chairs we used to play cards in the evening. We booked the upstairs room with a balcony that gives you an awesome view of the ocean. The fridge and microwave were welcome amenties too, especially with a child. It's also very close to downtown Fort Bragg and only a couple of blocks to Glass Beach. I will miss waking up to that beautiful ocean view each morning! I have absolutley no complaints and will definately be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Boogercat7718
Thank you, Boogercat7718 for your glowing review! We are happy to hear that you appreciated all the features of your room since we strive to provide our guests with as many amenities and conveniences as possible. We will be very happy to welcome you back for your next stay!
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I have stayed here many times over the last 7 years and I liked the place better BEFORE the recent renovation and decorating. I usually stay for at least 4 nights. After the renovation the nightly rate has increased significantly and there is no longer a reasonable "winter rate". So you may as well just stay here in the summer now when the weather is milder. I would gladly give up the granite countertops, fancy moldings, and wall paper for the better value rates of before.

The best part of this property for my purposes is the location. There are 5 units to a building and the walls are rather thin so you can hear other guests if they are inconsiderate (e.g. stomping feet, loud conversations, TV volume turned up). Thankfully, there is no pool or outdoor hot tub to attract little blighters.

I found the WiFi Internet access to be unusable in the room but marginal if you sit in your car in the parking lot. The reason for this is the WiFi antennas are located on the parking lot side of the buildings for "aesthetic reasons" according to the technician when I complained about situation. So they are more concerned about how the buildings look from the outside rather than if you can actually use WiFi while in your room! There are a couple of foot wash stations outside so you can rinse sand off you shoes or feet before coming inside but they don't work and never have as long as I have stayed here. I have mentioned this to the front desk several times and it would be an easy and inexpensive fix to get them working. I guess they don't care about people tracking dirt and sand into the newly renovated carpeting either. Go figure.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Miki K
Surf_Sand_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you Miki K, for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. We are always trying to improve our guests' experience and the concerns you raised are very helpful to us. We really do read and learn from guest reviews and try to improve based on their comments.
It is true that as you pointed out, our foot washing stations do not currently work. Our maintenance team has it on their list and we thank you for the reminder.
If you ever have a noisy neighbor you can always call the front desk and alert us and we will do our best to remedy the situation.
I'm sorry that you don't seem to like the renovations; our intention was to improve guest comfort but I'm sorry that they weren't to your satisfaction. We sincerely hope that you will come back to visit and give us and our renovations another chance.