“Nothing beats the Surf and Sand!!!!”
Review of Surf & Sand Lodge

Surf & Sand Lodge
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
San Francisco, California
“Nothing beats the Surf and Sand!!!!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I arrived at the Surf and Sand with our kids and instantly knew that we picked the right place to stay. The friendly staff greeted us and answered every question my hubby had about the area and were very helpful in pointing us to the local spots. You cannot beat the location of the S&S, you are literally steps away from the ocean and right by trails where you can bike, walk, run, or whatever your heart desires. The lodge is located minutes by car or foot to restaurants, cafes, beach and all the sights. Our rooms were spacious and clean. The place looks brand new! There is a porch where you can watch the sunrise or sunset and have your morning coffee or chill with a glass of wine. We never had to worry about the room being kept or needing extra towels. I cannot wait to head back. I would highly recommend for couples.

Room Tip: Check out the neighboring spa services at their sister motel,the Beachcomber.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank itsjusthanh
Surf_Sand_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you so much itsjusthanh for your wonderful review! I'm so happy to hear that our staff made the check-in process easy and helpful and that you enjoyed our location so much. We can't wait for you to come back either! We look forward to your next stay with us!
Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Not knowing the area, we rolled the dice! So happy we did! Clean, updated, and roomy. Pleasant & helpful during check-in, close to the beach (really close), convenient to all the shops and Skunk Train.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to beach may be quieter - our building, next to/on Main/Hwy 1. Great view of beach but...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Surf_Sand_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you so much for your great review, Stephanie L! We're happy that the dice brought you here and that you enjoyed our rooms and found our staff pleasant and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back to lovely Fort Bragg!
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 3 July 2014

On a recent & unexpected business trip to Berkley,CA, I got a 'spur of the moment' urge & decided to change it up a bit from the usual selected (and boring) south I-5 route. Since I was a day ahead of schedule, the Cali coast seemed a good choice to spend some time before getting back to business mode - as scheduled - the next day. So a quick re-program on the GPS recommended: FT BRAGG. I had never been there before; I hoped I could find adequate lodging: clean & by the beach if possible. About a 30 minute drive from Willits, a right turn off of Ft. Bragg/CA-20, and I was on Main St. in Ft. Bragg. While the town was charming, it didn't appear like any motels were even close to the beach. Persistence pays, as at the very North end of Main Street was exactly what I hoped for - the Surf and Sand Lodge. The friendly front desk staff made me feel like a welcomed 'regular' and the room was awesome. Stylishly clean, plush and even a private deck with an ocean view! Well-groomed trails were provided 'free of charge' for us people that enjoy luxury walks, and a very short stroll to an amazing beach. The only negative was that I couldnt stay longer.Thanks so much, Surf and Sand Lodge - truly & utterly (tho unexpectfully) delight-full. I will definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor ocean view & bring ur bikes! Kids? Bottom floor, ocean view for often &...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank BlueMoon911
Thank you so much BlueMoon911 for your great review! I'm so glad that you made your spur of the moment decision to come visit us! We take great pride in our customer service so it's wonderful to hear that our staff made you feel like a regular guest right away. We are looking forward to your next visit as soon as you can make your next getaway!
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Wife had business trip in Westport. Dad and two kids stayed upstairs with two queens. Wife joined us on Saturday. Great view and excellent beach within an easy 3 min walking distance. Nice path for bikes, walking etc.. Walked from Glass Beach to hotel. Very nice. About a 15 min to 20 min walk to the the closest restaurant - North Coast Brewing, but we drove instead. Room was great, albeit a little warm, as no cross breeze could be achieved. Could here the mini fridge prior to falling asleep but easy enough to get use to. Coffee maker, refrigerator and microwave, seem to cover the basics for this trip. All n all, loved it. Very relaxing..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Surf_Sand_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you Kyle2t for your great review! I'm so glad that you and your whole family could enjoy a relaxing vacation with us. It sounds like you did a lot of exploring by foot - the best way to see Fort Bragg and quite easy from the Surf and Sand's location. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back for another relaxing stay!
Placerville, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Not my usual stop, but glad I did. Pleasant staff informed me that the property was recently updated. Very clean room, nicely appointed, with thick towels. Sat on the small deck and watched the birds fly overhead. Stead stream of people walking on the paved trail, many couples with children. On a bluff above the ocean, you can hear the waves and smell the salt air. Comfortable bed and my room was quiet. No dining within walking distance, but several options within a short car drive. Only small issue was the ticking of the radiant heater at night.

Room Tip: The ocean view is worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Surf_Sand_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for your great review, calguyCalifornia! We're glad you stopped here too! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the cleanliness and amenities of the room - we believe that the details like thicker towels and organic bath products make all the difference. We look forward to welcoming you back to lovely Fort Bragg!
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Loved it here! We had a room facing the ocean on the first floor. Only problem was the room was warm and we had no air. No windows just the sliding glass door to open but couldn't because we had steps that walked right to our door from the beach. Didn't want any strangers in our room.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you Kerri B for your great review! It's wonderful to hear that you loved your stay! I'm sorry that it got warm - usually Fort Bragg stays pleasantly cool since we are right on the coast and the temperature is regulated by the ocean breezes. We hope to see you again soon for your next stay by the sea!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Overall, a good experience. It was nice to have a room facing the ocean. Really friendly staff. I would recommend staying in the upper rooms. The ceiling was thin and could hear the neighbors during the night. Room was equipped w/ a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. Good for a weekend trip.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Thank you so much Shannon Y for your review! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your room and found the staff helpful and friendly - I will definitely relay your compliments to them. We look forward to welcoming you back for your next weekend trip!