“not what I expected”
Review of Surf & Sand Lodge

Surf & Sand Lodge
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I have read the wonderful reviews and expected a wonderful time. I have to admit the views were great but beyond that point I was not to satisfied with the piss poor customer service. The staff was very stand offish. We asked for xtra towels and it seemed like a big deal. To me it was like being in any typical franchise hotel. The rooms were clean but average especially since Im paying 200+ a night...Will not be staying here again with my family....i could go on.....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cathy S
Surf_Sand_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, Cathy S. I am so sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with your stay. If our customer service fell short of your expectations then I sincerely apologize. I am very saddened to hear that it is not your intention to stay with us again but I hope in the future you will reconsider and allow us to welcome you back to Fort Bragg.

There are newer reviews for Surf & Sand Lodge

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Surf and Sand Lodge while making our way down the coast.
At first, we thought we might have made a mistake, but we were wrong. This is in a great location just on the edge of town. The Surf and Sand is right on the 1, but once you enter your building, it is quiet, and you walk into your room and see vast ocean views. The room feels private and serene. Both nights we chose to do take-out dinner and ate on the deck at sunset. It was quiet and beautiful. Being on the second floor we were able to leave the screened door open all night and hear the ocean. It takes about 1 minute to get from the room to the ocean path and the pathways down to the waters edge. Parking is easy. This turned out to be a great spot and we loved it! The only drawback was not having a food option or coffee shop on site.
Ft Bragg ended up being a good spot to base ourselves in for a couple of nights. After driving and exploring all day it was nice to be only a few minutes from a variety of restaurants and shops. Other little towns in this area might be more serene, but we found while exploring that they tended to be more remote and further away from general services. It was nice to park in town and walk around a bit and then be back in the serenity of the Surf and Sand in a matter of minutes. Best of both worlds.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelbug37220
Surf_Sand_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you so much travelbug37220 for your great review! I’m so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mentioned, we are in a great location - close enough to town to be easily accessible but far enough that it is quiet and peaceful. And, of course, we are right on the beautiful Pacific ocean. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

You absolute can't beat the location. Located on the old lumber hauling road and yards from the ocean, you can see and smell the ocean from your room. Rooms are comfortably furnished, including both a microwave and refrigerator, flat screen TV and beds with luxurious sheets. Our room had a nice deck with chairs where you could sit and enjoy the beautiful view. I highly recommend spending the few extra dollars for an ocean view room. Due to the building design, we didn't hear another soul during the night, which is rare at hotels. The only downfalls, and these are slight, are thinner towels and no closet to hang your clothes. Like I said, these are very minor points and didn't affect the joy of our stay in the slightest. We will definitely stay here again!!!

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you so much Karla H for your wonderful review! I'm so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We love to hear that a guest has rated their stay 5/5! We definitely look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

As noted by others, the state park dunes and associated beach are directly out your back door. This place could be an absolute hovel and still be worth it based on this location. However, it is tidy, clean and well maintained. The staff was friendly.

The biggest complaint that I had was that the rooms are designed only with one window--the sliding glass door towards the beach--and this limits the ventilation (there is no A/C, which is standard in this climate). Our room was closed up and hot and so the first night the temp in our room was probably 75+ all night. The next day we left the patio door open all day and it was wonderful (sleeping with the sound of the surf was also awesome!). A cheap fan would have been very helpful (a strategy that was used at the next hotel that we stayed at in Eureka).

Other issues (which are notably small): I asked for a rollaway on three separate occasions and never got one, although to be fair the hotel was completely full. Also, This hotel could use about 5 more parking places, when full there is barely enough space for everyone. Finally, laundry facilities (always handy for a trip to the beach), are located at the adjacent Beachcomber (under same ownership), which isn't a big deal until the 3rd load when you are tired of making the 1/4 mile slog over there.

In summary, there are some shortcomings, but given the overall quality of the hotel and the out-of-this-world location, I would recommend them without reservation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank xrayd0ct0r

Thank you xrayd0ct0r for your fantastic review! We love to hear that our guests have had a 5/5 quality stay! I’m sorry to hear about the heat in your room, but, as you observed, in our climate A/C is uncommon. We have had some unusual heat recently, but typically Fort Bragg is kept nicely cool by the ocean breezes. But I’m glad to hear that opening the door was a pleasant solution. As for your front desk requests, I am very sorry that you had to ask three times. We are usually very prompt with responding to guest requests, but I thank you for being so very understanding. We definitely look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel is on the north end of town. It is the newest property. The room was on the ocean, and I mean ON! I have never stayed at a hotel this close to the actual waves. Needless to say the water was loud so be prepared. We had a "noise fan" with us, so no problem. People make fires on the beach with drift wood. The room was new, spacious, and clean. Pick a room up high. There are restaurants nearby to walk or drive to. The staff was super friendly. It is pet friendly but they also have rooms that they don't allow pets into.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor on the ocean.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet G

Thank you Janet G for your fantastic review! As you said, we are indeed right on the ocean but still close enough to town to be easily accessible. We are also pet-friendly but as you mentioned, those rooms are kept apart from the non-pet rooms for our guests who may have allergies. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy our beautiful views!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We originally picked Fort Bragg as a convenient stopping point between San Francisco and the northern redwoods. However when we arrived we were blown away by the fantastic location of the Surf and Sand. Your private deck looks out onto the Pacific, with a walking/biking path literally at the doorstep. The path crosses high over a sandy beach area on a converted railway bridge, this is one of the few kid friendly swimming areas that we saw on our trip.
Overall this was probably the quietest, cleanest, and most relaxing stop on our California coast trip. With scenery that compared to Mendocino, in a "real" town with lots of affordable stores and restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank cheesehead99
Surf_Sand_Lodge, Guest Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you so much for your great review, cheesehead99! I'm so glad you picked us for your stopover and even more glad that you realized that we are a destination ourselves. It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and the lovely town of Fort Bragg. We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I arrived at the Surf and Sand with our kids and instantly knew that we picked the right place to stay. The friendly staff greeted us and answered every question my hubby had about the area and were very helpful in pointing us to the local spots. You cannot beat the location of the S&S, you are literally steps away from the ocean and right by trails where you can bike, walk, run, or whatever your heart desires. The lodge is located minutes by car or foot to restaurants, cafes, beach and all the sights. Our rooms were spacious and clean. The place looks brand new! There is a porch where you can watch the sunrise or sunset and have your morning coffee or chill with a glass of wine. We never had to worry about the room being kept or needing extra towels. I cannot wait to head back. I would highly recommend for couples.

Room Tip: Check out the neighboring spa services at their sister motel,the Beachcomber.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank itsjusthanh

Thank you so much itsjusthanh for your wonderful review! I'm so happy to hear that our staff made the check-in process easy and helpful and that you enjoyed our location so much. We can't wait for you to come back either! We look forward to your next stay with us!