“This is place I have my family stay. It's fine, affordable, and the location is perfect.”
Review of Surf & Sand Lodge

Surf & Sand Lodge
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Northern California
Reviewed 29 September 2010

I am a Fort Bragg local and when I have an overflowing house of company, I call the Surf and Sand Lodge. It is a pleasant, well run, beach front motel. My family members have all been quite comfortable there and pleased with the rooms and service.
Surf and Sand has specific rooms that allow pets and we think this policy helps everyone stay happy. This is a very pet friendly community and many visitors bring their pets, but not all pets know how to behave.
The ocean front location set against MacKerricher State Park's walking/biking "Haul Road" makes it ideal for visitors who are here to enjoy the sea breezes and views.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank marilynb40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
California
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Arrived in Ft Bragg w/o reservations about 9Pm after a long day of driving and touring the redwood country. Drove the length of Main Street (Highway 1), located a few with no vacancy. Returned to the north end and settled on Surf and Sand. Prop. indicated we were in luck and got the last room, but the only one available was a king suite, with jacuzzi, $195, but due to the hour, $175. After viewing the room, we took it. A little above our budget, but didn’t like the prospects of driving around town looking for a room. From what I can see, rooms on the ocean start around that 200 range up and down the coast. Due to the hour of our arrival, we missed the sunset, but neighbors later told us it was spectacular.

Rooms are arranged in 5 plex two story buildings. Our building was very quiet. Room was very nice, upstairs, with a balcony and a direct view to the ocean and sunsets across a green belt. No one could see into the room, from any direction. Bike and walking path right behind the room. Fireplace, fridge, large jacuzzi with shower over, open to the bedroom. Newer feeling, very clean. Prop. was very friendly and helped with dinner suggestions when asked. We settled on Silvers, at the harbor, a great choice reviewed elsewhere. Room was large, clean, bed was comfortable with extra blankets; but room came up short on some little touches. Like styrofoam cups for the coffee, plastic wrapped plastic cups for water. Coffee maker in room, but no breakfast available. Office is closed from about 10 PM, though that night he was open until about 11.

Asked prop. about wifi after check it; didn’t think to ask before. Road weary. Said didn’t have it, but feel free to use one of the systems up on the motels on either side of Surf and Sand. No code needed. Signal was weak and intermittent; basically unreliable. Not right to not have wifi, poach on the neighbor, then the neighbor’s signal is inadequate. This is the major reason for the weak rating. If you don’t have to have internet connection, then ignore this paragraph.

Upon returning to the room at about 1030, heard a tourist who had just come out of the office indicate to his wife that only two available, at 195. They drove off. Ok, the guy misled me a little. Or maybe he meant only one TYPE of room available. Room was still pretty nice, and I think the price was fair for the location and interior features, but again, I dinged the place on the internet situation.

I think this hotel, and the room, would be perfect for a romantic get-a-way. Sunsets, walking in the evenings or mornings, the fireplace, etc. Just leave the computer at home, or in the car.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Minnesota
Reviewed 19 April 2010

I looked hard for a place in Ft. Bragg that wasn't out of sight in terms of price. Trip Advisor came thru as usual. This lodge is on the north edge of Ft. Bragg, right on 101 and 150 yards to the ocean. It consists of about 6 buildings w/ four rooms in each building. Ask for ground floor and you will walk out the sliding door onto the 7 mile bike/walking path along the dunes. Many paths criss cross over the dunes to the ocean. Though the inn is right on 101, you don't hear any traffic. The room was large, clean, bright and the bed very good. Some of the furniture was a bit worn. However, we were driving down the coast and for one night, slightly worn furniiture didn't matter. I'd stay here again, especially for the location! It's a very short drive to town and a number of restaurants.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 April 2010

I loved my two nights and Surf and Sand. It's right at the southern edge of MacKerricher State Park and you are just a few steps away from being on the cliffs. There's a nice walkway that goes up into the state park that is right outside the rooms. The room I had, on the second floor, was very roomy, comfortable bed and pillow, and the balcony was great for looking out at the ocean, although the motel is set back some from the ocean. Everything was clean ... and nice to have a mini-fridge. Front desk was friendly and helpful. Good place to stay if you want to be close to the ocean, especially if you want to take long walks along a beautiful stretch of the North Coast. I have pictures of the whole area, if interested, at Picasaweb.google.com/mjneenan. Click on the California North Coast album.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I stayed here last week, and I was very satisfied with my selection. The place is much newer than it's neighboring establishments, and the private patios/balconies are really much more private and larger than the neighboring motels. I had a downstairs room, and I could see and hear the beach just fine. You are literally 10 feet from the state beach area, I could walk from my room to the bluffs over looking the beach, and had the weather not been atrocious, I'm sure I would have seen some lovely sunsets. The rooms are in small house-like units, which means you can hear your neighbors running around upstairs, or the maid service...and the mattress left much to be desired. While the off season rate was very agreeable, the regular rates are a little high. Overall, I was very pleased, with the view, the room, and the addition of a fridge AND coffee maker made it just grand. I will be staying here again, most definitely. Also, you can walk to downtown Fort Bragg via the trestle bridge, which is very nice should you want to visit the North Coast Brewing Co Tap Room :)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 August 2009

The best deal I ever paid for a spacious clean ocean view room! 5 minute walk down to the beach and right on a trail that goes into town and over the walking bridge. The room has a nice little patio too with chairs so that you can enjoy the view and beautiful sunset.

I will visit again.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Hayward, California
Reviewed 28 July 2009

I was referred to this place by my brother who is a frequent visitor to the area. I checked them out online and found them to be suitable for a quick weekend get-away from the SF Bay area. We stayed in the King room with 2 person whirlpool tub (only one in the place) and killer view. Well, honestly about 70% of rooms have a great view. The hotel is built such that there are a number of separate home-like buildings with each containing 5 rooms if like the one we were in. Each building is keyed differently you can only get into your own. Our room was on the second floor of the Sunset building and we had a private balcony; as is for all 2nd floor rooms. 1st floor rooms have private patios accessible by sliding glass doors. The hotel itself is set back from the cliffs of the rugged coastline and adjacent to the "Old Haul Road" trail that runs north and south for many a mile. There are a couple beaches in short walking distance, if you can navigate your way down some of the precarious trails to them. Some of them have large areas that support lots of different sea-life. We saw lots of star fish, sea anemone even small crabs and fish. Lake Cleone and Ten Mile Dunes is also a nice walk a few miles from the hotel. A very short walk south is the Pudding Creek Beach and old trestle bridge which is also part of the Old Haul Rd and free to walk across.

This place is a quite setting and is pretty much a room and a view. Not much else. If you seek frills, best look elsewhere. Room was pretty standard. Small tube TV, VCR and coffee maker. The room did have a small refrigerator, which I didn’t ask for, but was a blessed surprise. It came in handy for our 2 night stay. The price per night was reasonable at just under $200/night in July.

I would recommend this hotel because it was clean; the staff was friendly and was a good value. If you want a peaceful place to relax, watch a great sunset, use a hub for outdoor activities than this is your place. For those seeking high style, fancy accommodations/amenities you won’t find that here. We liked it so much that I am sure we'll become regulars here.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple