“Cheap Eats in Ft. Bragg”
Review of The Fish House - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Fish House
Cuisines: American
Description: Google it, also check yelp.com for some reviews. We want to give them raving reviews
Reviewed 2 September 2011

After a long day of walking and exploring the state parks we were searching for a place to have some fresh seafood for dinner. We tried a sushi place that was highly recommended in Ft. Bragg, but it was closed. Next we went to Noyo Harbor to check out the seafood restaurants and tried to get into Chapter and Moon, again a highly recommended place, but they were already putting the chairs up on the tables and appeared to be closing up for the night. So we were heading back to Mendocino wondering what to do about dinner when we spied the little fish shack called The Fish House. My partner was really dubious, but I encouraged him to check it out. After all, I wanted some fish and chips and they had that on their sign. So we stopped into the little yellow building wondering what we'd find. The owner, Ken and his wife and children welcomed us with enthusiasm and quickly joined in conversation. I found what I wanted, a fish and chips plate and a Bud. My partner got the oysters. My fish were exceedingly fresh and cooked in a light tempura batter. Ken explained that the fish was all local, but the oysters were from San Francisco. Both were tasty and the fries were fine too. Ken's son shared that he went free-diving in the ocean nearby helped supply the fish to the restaurant with his spear fishing efforts. Other fishermen supplied fresh caught fish as well. Dinner for 2 with 2 beers including tax was $26 - less than the price of any entree we saw on the other seafood restaurant menus. Although the ambiance of the little fish shack is nothing to exclaim over, the fresh local fish delicately battered and fried to perfection is. Try it for lunch if not for dinner.

1  Thank MaryLPerry