“Excellent Value for Magnificent Views”

The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Reviewed 1 September 2014

First of all, this is a motel not a hotel so keep that in mind. In this area of the breathtaking California coast I do not believe you will find a better value for your travel dollar with such magnificent ocean views from your room with immediate access to coastal trails, and beach sands. From the moment I found this property on the internet through check-in, they are exactly what they advertise. The staff is genuinely friendly and competent; very willing to help with any question. We had emailed and asked for an upper room with a relatively quiet location, and they responded within an hour replying that we would be in an upper corner room. We had a double queen room with plenty of room to move about, a nice fridge and microwave, very comfy beds and genuinely clean. The amenities are a step up and plentiful, as are the bath linens. The view from our room simply takes your breath away. The location just outside of town means a short drive to plentiful restaurants, but the quiet location is a plus. The continental breakfast is just fine for what it is, and coffee is available all day in their smallish lobby. The Captains' Deck (no bar or restaurant here) is a nice feature for a group to enjoy their own snacks/libations while watching the sand and surf. Our room deck was large enough to comfortably sit and enjoy a glass or two of delicious California wine and the sunsets. You will not be disappointed; we had a great time.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room on the south end of the motel.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you so much, Kerry A, for your fantastic review! I'm so glad to hear that you had such a wonderful time. You've pointed out one of our greatest assets: our location. The ocean views are spectacular and we are located immediately adjacent to one of Fort Bragg's most popular beaches. Next, we are close enough to town to make access to the shops and restaurants very convenient, but far enough away that our guests can still feel remote from the traffic and hustle of downtown. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 30 August 2014

We loved the Beachcomber. The rooms were clean, the staff friendly, and it was so close to the hills and dunes in the area. We particularly liked checking out Glass Beach nearby. It is right on the boardwalk, so it is great for multi-generational access to the beach. I would oh there again!

Room Tip: Upper levels have nice views!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much mama_in_vegas for your great review! It's true that we are a very short walk from beautiful Glass Beach - a big draw for people near and far. We look forward to welcoming you back to Fort Bragg soon!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

First off I want to say our last stay here was not too good. After we returned home we received a call from the hotel manager who explained why we had problems we did and invited us to come back and give them another try. We were not let down.
Tip - ask for upstairs room. Unless you are there to socialize with everyone walking the trail. Big privacy difference.
We had upstairs king. Beautiful view, easy access to beach. We spent most of our days on the beach. Even though it was a weekend and weather was in high 70s and sunny, in June, there was hardly anyone else there. That is what I love about fort Bragg. The beauty of the ocean and redwoods without the huge amount of tourist.
We rented bikes from the hotel (cheapest place in town to rent, nice cruiser and since hotel sets on trail perfect location) we rode the trail to mckeracher park and visited the boardwalk.
Service was great, people working we're helpful. They know area we'll and can give you some good places to check out.
I wouldn't stay any where else in fort Bragg area. Even in peak time with higher prices if you want the fort Bragg beach side experience stay here

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Itsmehollyd
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you so much Itsmehollyd, not only for your wonderful review but also for coming back and giving us another try. I know that you had heat problems on your last stay, but I am so happy to hear that your most recent visit was so enjoyable. It sounds like you had a very nice, relaxing time and I’m glad that you got a chance to bike Haul Road – and you’re right: at $8 an hour, our bicycle rental prices are hard to resist. We are so delighted that you let us welcome you back to lovely Fort Bragg and we look forward to doing so again soon!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We try to stay here every three years to recharge our bodies with the ocean sounds and views and we are never disappointed. Clean and quiet rooms, except for the sounds of the ocean, simple breakfast included and close to all Fort Bragg attractions.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room if you can but if you get a street room there is still a very nice observatio...
1  Thank lvtotrvl20
Beachcomber_Motel, Guest Relations Manager at The Beachcomber Motel and Spa on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you so much, Ivtotrvl20, for your fantastic review! I am so glad to know that we are your place of choice to recharge your batteries! There really is nothing quite like the soothing roar of the Pacific Ocean. We look to see you again soon for your next recharge session!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Clean,friendly,family owned motel,older but well maintained.Small semi private balcony (no privacy from your neighbor),close to downtown area,awesome views and convenient for walking along the bluff,challenging to take a steep sandy path to the beach below.However many were able to navigate it ( just not me) and play on the beach.Average complementary breakfast with limited sitting room in the lobby. I recommend bringing the tray from your room and eating outside or in your room.

Room Tip: Second floor is best for privacy, lots of foot traffic outside first floor rooms
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your nice review, robertamac9! I am very happy that you enjoyed the views and walking trail. The path directly to the beach is a bit steep but there is a longer alternative route which is easier to navigate. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Fort Bragg!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The location of this motel is exactly what you would hope. You look out of your window to a stunning view of the beach and sea. We booked a three queen suite for a family of five, which worked well and had a good layout. Check-in was welcoming and easy, as was check-out. The room was comfortable and the views amazing. Breakfast is provided in the office area, so a little cramped, but we took our coffee, Danish and bagels back to the room where we had more space. Breakfast was typical motel continental, so adequate but not great.
We noticed some guests barbecuing on the first floor deck, so that can be a nice option for dinner. Not sure if the grills are available to all or only to those with rooms facing this deck. Might be worth checking if that's what you want to do.
Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much, Frances V, for your great review! I am so glad that we were exactly what you hoped for! The grills you mentioned are on a ground level patio called the Mate's Deck. There is also a Captain's Deck on the second floor at the south end of the motel with numerous grills as well. Both of these decks are open for all guests to enjoy. We hope to welcome you back to Fort Bragg soon!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I booked the king jacuzzi room, and were given a room directly above the lobby/breakfast area. When we entered our room it was very stuffy and had a strange odor so we opened up the sliding door and left it open all night, hoping to air out the room. The room was nice, and the view was beautiful! There is also a nice large double shower in the bathroom. After returning from dinner we tried to turn on the fireplace, but could not figure it out. We then started to run the jacuzzi, but I was worried about our neighbors being able to hear it through the thin walls, as we were able to hear them talking, and later on, snoring all night. The room remained warm throughout the night, and there was no AC to cool it down...needless to say I had a very restless sleep. I would have loved to sleep in the next morning but the noise from people eating breakfast downstairs and checking out woke us up early...again, thin walls and being above the lobby. My husband and I left for the day and returned at 6:00 p.m., and our room had not been cleaned. We told the front desk, and the cleaning staff finally gave us a few new towels and made our bed. I don't mean to sound snobby, but when we are paying about $600 for two nights, I expect my room to be cleaned at a decent hour.
The front desk staff was very friendly, the locations is great - just a short walk to the beach and cliffs with beautiful views.
I'm not sure that I would stay here again - loved the location, but when we are paying that much for a hotel room I'd like to feel like I have privacy, and that I don't have to remind the staff to clean my room.

Room Tip: I would choose a second floor room, just because the lower room look out onto a bike/walking path, a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you MeriNan81 for giving us a review! I’m so glad that you liked our location, although I’m sorry about your room not being cleaned on time. In the summer we do get quite busy, but you are right that 6:00pm is too late and I apologize for that. I’m sorry that you feel that the room was not very private; in the summer we often fill up all the rooms because when you have views as beautiful as ours everyone else wants to be here too! I sincerely hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit - we will be looking forward to welcoming you back!