“Room is spacious, but shows its age.”
Review of Pine Beach Inn

Pine Beach Inn
Ranked #12 of 12 Fort Bragg B&B and Inns
san francisco
“Room is spacious, but shows its age.”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The Inn is located outside of town as I preferred. Even though it is next the Highway 1, it is rather quiet in our room. While the room shows it age and needs updating, it is spacious. Breakfast, while free, is mediocre. For the money, it is OK.

Room Tip: Pick rooms closer to beach.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Albany, California
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My husband and I booked a room in July for a family reunion. When we arrived the grounds were run down everything looked like it was deserted for years. We got our room and when we opened the door the moldy smell just horrible. No amount of spraying with Lysol could get rid of the order. We had to open both the slider and front door to get some fresh air. Which, by the way, did not help.
We had to leave a couple of days early because of the mold smell. In fact my husband still had not gotten over this experience. He has been having breathing and congestion problems ever since we got home.
If you are planning a trip to Fort Bragg. Please find another alternative.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank jwb4pcl

Travellers are raving about these Fort Bragg hotels

Birmingham, England
Reviewed 25 September 2012

First let me say that I rather enjoyed my overnight stay in The Pine Beach Inn.
For all its obvious inadequacies it is a nostalgic reminder of a bygone age when travellers expected basics and not the frills that now add to the cost of staying in modern hotels.

This property is certainly the cheapest around these parts, and if those reviewers who have slated Pine Beach Inn want more than the basics and are willing to pay handsomely for the privilege, then they are welcome to stay in nearby Mendocino or Fort Bragg.
But they are missing the point entirely.

Yes, this place is in need of repair and needs some restoration if it is to be given a new lease of life, with of course the costs of all this work reflected in the increased room prices.
But what Pine Beach Inn represents right now is an affordable, simple and basic retro motel of the sort one imagines prevailed in the America of the 1950's.

The Inn stands alongside Highway 101, making it a good stopover for travellers on the Pacific Coast Highway.
Its weather-beaten sign sets the ambience for a visit, which surprisingly is tranquil and quiet.

The lobby was tiny, but check in was quick and easy.

The room was spartan, but clean and smelled fresh.
The decor is basic and perhaps a little drab.
There is a fridge and an older-style TV, and the room did have an ice bucket and and an ice machine at the end of the row.
The TV features Direct TV, which gives a little variety.
Parking is right outside the rooms, and judging by the number if cars this place is not doing too badly despite the criticisms levelled at it on this site.

Bathroom was quite old fashioned and in my room there was only a simple stand up shower.
But it was clean.

My advice is to eat before you arrive here, as the only local restaurant is the Thai cafe onsite.
I have heard that the food there is good, but there is more of a choice if you eat in either Fort Bragg or Mendocino then get to the Inn having picked up a few beers for the evening.

A stroll down to the private cove and beach is a must while staying here.
It is secluded, and rugged as Pacific waves crash onto the beach.

Despite the old fashioned bedding the bed was comfortable and with all curtains closed the room was quite cosy.

The breakfast in the morning is simple and basic - tea and coffee are offered, along with juice, cereals, bananas, bagels and toast.
This is available in that tiny lobby and the idea seems to be to take what you want back to your room rather than eat in the lobby.

Overall the experience was akin to camping - it may seem at first to be something you don't really want to do, but having given it a go and seen the positives rather than the negatives, I am rather glad I did stay here rather than in the sterile and generic environs of a motel chain.

It is sad that this sort of basic Inn, with its old-word charm is just seen as "nasty" by people who want four star facilities at one star prices, and cannot see beyond the shabbiness and experience a true taste of a bygone age of motel America.

I encourage anyone in this area, travelling on a budget, to give Pine Beach Inn a go.
See what it really is and what it represents rather than what modern tastes have led many of us to expect in a hotel, and learn to love this old lady of a motel, with all of her cragginess, and care-worn faults.

I expect there will be those who will join the throngs of naysayers in running down this place.
But there will always be those of us who took the gamble, stayed and enjoyed.

Room Tip: Ocean view suites are best.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank mkendrick
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Breakfast offered very poor
No clock or even ice bucket
very old bedding
i cleaned walls in bathroom

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed 11 September 2012

I booked a room in this dump because it had three stars on Hotels.com. Someone is clearly gaming the reviews if this is getting anything higher than one star. This is, without question, the nastiest motel (calling it an "Inn" is false advertising at best) I have ever stayed in.

Where to begin? Driving up to the lobby, the sign is weatherbeaten and old. There is a disused tennis court with rusty poles and only one net. (There is a picture of a tennis court on their page on Hotels.com that is either a stock photo or was taken 30 years ago.) We skipped the "continental breakfast" located there-- it's so cramped, where could they possibly have put the food?

Driving up to the ocean view rooms, we could tell why all the pictures on Hotels.com are taken from a distance. The paint is peeling, and even the number on our door was chipped and cracked. The "gazebo" is rusty and in disrepair.

Entering one of our rooms, we were met with a mildewy smell, and BUGS in the toilet. There were two towel racks in the bathroom, but one of them was missing a pole and was unusable. The bedspreads were cheap polyester, and the furniture is mismatched and uninviting. There was a lampshade covered with plastic with a sticker clearly saying "CAUTION REMOVE COVER BEFORE USING THE SHADE". We took it off, but it had already started melting! (You're welcome for removing a fire hazard, Pine Beach Inn.) I stepped over a dead moth by the sliding glass door to look sadly at the mismatched worn plastic chairs and rusty table on the porch, and a pile of sand left by a previous occupant.

The view was nice, though.

Our traveling companions checked in to the room next door and found a dirty diaper in their bathroom garbage and sand all over their (indoor) table! The desk manager did put them in a new room but -- EEEW!

I'm glad we spent extra for a "view room" near the beach path, otherwise this would have been a complete bust. The private beach is secluded and quiet, and I'm sure it's lovely when it's warmer.

Walking back from the beach, we saw a pile of broken wood that I think used to be the porch railing of some of the rooms. The wood was just sitting out behind the building, not far from a sad little picnic table. I noticed that there were rusty nails sticking out of the wood. I hope no one with small children stays on the property because that is just a tetanus shot waiting to happen.

I booked these rooms because they were among the most affordable listings on Kayak.com anywhere near Mendocino. I saw a Motel 6 and several other motels on the way to historic Fort Bragg-- I would recommend staying at one of those and staying FAR away from the Pine Beach Inn.

Room Tip: If you choose to ignore the ratings, for God's sake book an "ocean view" room-- those...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank puttopal
Sonoma County CA
Reviewed 27 August 2012

If I cared about shabby decor (polyester curtains and bedspread in clashing floral prints, plastic lampshades over ancient CFL bulbs shedding meager light, thin towels and one-ply tp) I would have given this 4 instead of 5 points. But it was such an absolutely delightful experience I would have given it 6 if I could! The room was spacious and clean, with a sliding door opening to a pleasant grassy lawn. A short walk across the property and down a path is a lovely little sheltered beach. There's even a hose station at the head of the path for rinsing off wetsuits, that works just as well for rinsing off sandy dogs. There's also another path from the edge of the grounds that leads to cliffs above the sea with breathtaking views, a great sunset spot.

Raoul was on the desk when we arrived early in the morning (he may be the owner?) and very kindly expedited the cleaning of our room so we could check in early. The staff also cheerfully printed a document I needed. The Thai restaurant just a short walk away across the grounds was the icing on the cake!

Room Tip: We didn't see the rooms that aren't dog-friendly, but were very happy with the one we had de...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This place was a pleasant surprise. It is quite inexpensive compared to other places in the area, quiet, not at all fancy, but clean. No phone reception but that's true of lot of places near the coast. Wifi is only available near reception. The really special feature is the beach access which is very private and beauitiful. Places that cost a lot more money don't have that feature. Continental breakfast not impressive, staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
#1 of 23 in Fort Bragg
North Cliff Hotel
North Cliff Hotel
#5 of 23 in Fort Bragg

Been to Pine Beach Inn? Share your experiences!