“Good chowder, but sit outside if you can”

Sea Pal Cove Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 88 Restaurants in Fort Bragg
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I"m always on the prowl for really good clam chowder, which is harder to find that you'd think, especially in a seaside town.

At Sea Pal, you place your order at the counter, get a number, and then find a table. We started out indoors but it really smelled of slightly rancid oil, so we went out to the rear deck. Only one table had any shade and it was occupied, so we had to eat with our backs to the view.

My chowder was very good. Most are thickened with a flour slurry; the best are thickened with the potatoes in the soup. The difference is obvious. The chowder I had here was thickened with potato. It had big fat clams and big chunks of cooked potato and carrot. It comes in two sizes; the small, which I had, is about a cup, and the large is maybe two cups. That's what my husband had - it's a meal.

I also had a salad, which came with a balsamic vinaigrette. None of the dressings are house-made, but the salad was fresh and tasty and the dressing was pretty good.

I think we paid something like $25. Normally I'd say that's too much for two soups, a salad, and a beer, but this chowder is substantial enough that we didn't need to eat again for another six hours.

I can't talk about the other menu offerings because we didn't try them.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were told about the hamburgers at this place and ended up having the fish and chips and a cup of chowder. We couldn't have been happier with the choice. Sitting outside in the harbor amongst the fishing boats was very nice. We enjoyed a beer while we waited for our food and then enjoyed every bite of the fresh fish. Grab lunch here for sure!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a cute place with very limited indoor seating so plan on sitting outside and enjoy watching the harbor. My husband had fish and chips and I had prawns and chips and they were good. The prices are very reasonable, service friendly, and lots of local beers are available. It would be rated higher if the fries were fresh, but I believe they are frozen.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Be have been here before and love to come back when we are in the area. The fish is always so fresh. Fish and Chips are our usual order. Crispy, Fresh and not greasy.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Looking for a different place to eat dinner after already having lunch at the Cliff House, we happened upon this little place at the harbor. Checked some yelp reviews of the places nearby and decided to try the Sea Pal. It looks inviting driving by, people outside dining on the dock. Walking up we figured out you order inside this little shack, then wait outside at your table. Not much to chose from, and like other reviewers state, everything is a "help yourself" kinda set up. We ordered fish and chips and the fish sandwich, with 2 beers which came to a whopping $35 - way too much for what you're actually getting. Everything is served in a small basket on top of fries. The fish sandwich was small, with 2 pieces of fish (same fish that you get in the fish and chips basket). My husband's fish and chips basket had maybe one additional piece of fish. Looking at a couple next to us that ordered theirs later, they seemed to have a much larger portion. Needless to say, we left hungry. Definitely needs some updating and renovation. Even a side of cole slaw and a lemon with the baskets would be a huge addition and make you feel like you were getting your money's worth. I don't think we would return when we are in town again, unless some changes were made.