“Perfect”

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Newcastle, California
“Perfect”
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Large clean and well-decorated rooms Beautiful view of the ocean from every room. Great location and within walking distance to the Noyo Harbor and a walk along the bluffs of the ocean. You're greeted with a wonderful plate of pastries, See's chocolates and fruit in the room's refrigerator every day. Professionally run and great cleaning staff. Though the Inn is located on Hwy. 1, they are well-insulated and you don't hear road noise. Free WiFi. Each room has a balcony where you can sit and watch the ocean and boats come in and out.

Room Tip: For me, I'd prefer a room on the third floor. Best view and no one above you.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank catman123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Oakland, California
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Jerry: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?

Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the
reservation.

Agent: I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. If you did, I'd have a car. See, you know how to
take the reservation, you just don't know how to *hold* the reservation and
that's really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

So goes our experience with the North Cliff. We reserved the hotel months ago for a wedding this past weekend. When we showed up at 2:00am, after a great wedding, we found out that they gave away our room. Apparently our credit card which we used to book the room was denied yesterday, they tried calling us (didn't leave a message), and then just gave away our room. We would have checked in pre-wedding, but the earliest you can check in is 4:00pm. No early check-in.

If you want to ensure a hotel in Ft. Bragg, do not reserve a hotel room here. They will take your reservation, they just won't *hold* the reservation.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DavidHornung
NorthCliffHotel, Manager at North Cliff Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
I am sorry for your encounter with our hotel and any inconvenience this may have caused you. The North Cliff Hotel has a reservation policy that if a guest has not checked in my 8PM we authorize the credit card, if the credit that is on file does not approve we then attempt to contact the guest and give them until 9:00PM to contact us. If no contact has been made we then release the rooms for rent. We will not hold a room for any guest without a valid credit card on file. We do allow early check in based on availability, guests need to contact the hotel to see if an early check in is available for their room; this service is at no additional charge, and we cannot guarantee an early check in during the reservation process.
Reviewed 24 August 2011

My boyfriend & I stayed here on the last day of our 7 day road trip. We had been driving all day & the slow-moving Pacific Coast Highway necessitated that we stay in Fort Bragg. We stopped in to ask about a room after seeing this hotel in an AAA guide, 101 Things To Do in Mendocino County, and TripAdvisor. All the reviews on TA weren't great, so I was worried! HOWEVER, the young lady at the front desk was so kind and helpful. I really wanted to be able to sit on the patio & watch the sunset. This young lady was absolutely committed to not only finding me the best room for sunset viewing, but also getting me checked in as fast as she could so I didn't miss the sunset. I found it to be very sweet of her & indicative of the hotel's emphasis on customer service. The sunset was beautiful. The room and balcony were very CLEAN. We had a cute fireplace, and a spacious shower. Our continental breakfast platter (croissants, scone, oranges, a big muffin, chocolates, & cheese) was in the fridge, which was very convenient. The fridge also had two complimentary water bottles and juices. And everyone knows it's impossible to get a bottle of water at a hotel that isn't, at least, three dollars. Also in the fridge were half & half capsules. After seven nights in hotels and seven mornings of coffee with powder non-dairy creamer, I thought the half & half was a nice touch. We got a newspaper, too. I can't say I'm a fan of Fort Bragg, but the hotel was wonderful. I agree that it's romantic, as well. Again, the customer service was remarkable!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank nnicoleee
Pinole
Reviewed 23 August 2011

We've stayed here on two different occasions and have loved every minute of each visit. We really hated to leave. The desk people are so pleasant and accomidating. They make you feel really welcomed. I love the fresh baked cookies available upon checking in. And the food tray in the room is amazing!!!! The view is nothing to sneeze at either!! We can't say enough about the North Cliff Hotel. It deserves being ranked 6th in the U.S. for most romantic, if it were up to us we'd rank them #1!!!!

Room Tip: We've stayed in rooms 403 and 407, we think room 407 is the best between the two for the view.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleen G
Killorglin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 August 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here for her 25th birthday. We arrived around 3:30 in the afternoon and wanted to check into our room that we reserved 4 days in advance and was told that the 160 dollar room that we paid for was not going to be ready for another hour...... rooms should be cleaned by 3:00pm, even a hotel six can manage that. As we were being told that our room was still being cleaned I was looking around the lobby and noticed numerous trays of food sprawled out on the lobby furniture and thought to myself " The hell is this ? " My face dropped in utter disbelief and disgust when I realized that that was OUR BREAKFAST FOR TOMORROW ! YUMMY! Cant wait to bite into some rock hard biscuit thats been rotting out on the lobby furniture where some flatulent pea brain was loitering ! When we finally got the room keys we were informed that our " Luxurious and Romantic" room was located on the bottom floor and the path we had to take there looked like the spiders cave from the lord Of The Rings Movie and was tempted to look behind us figuring Gollum wasn't far behind. The room was decent but its not worth 160 buck, not by a long shot. The view was crap, and looked nothing like the picture. Trash and rusted metal lay at the bottom of our balcony. The outside of the hotel is very ugly, apparently the owner have never heard of paint. This hotel would be okay if it was 70-85 bucks a night. Don't believe the crap they spew on their website about how beautiful it is and don't believe the other reviews on this site claiming it's some great place, IT'S NOT! Fortunately we have a good sense of humor and can laugh about it but we will never come here again. G-H-E-T-T-O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank devro999
We would like to thank you for your review, and apologizes for any inconvenience you may have encountered.
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Passing through Fort Bragg we found this wonderful hotel. Right on the inlet next to the harbor, the room had a gas fireplace and little sitting area. It was very clean, updated and comfortable. The robes were a nice touch. In the morning we had a beautiful view from our balcony.

Room Tip: higher floor offer better view. Some rooms have spa tubs.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank noegdurts
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Had never stayed anywhere in Fort Bragg and choose this hotel for the view and balcony in each room. The room was very spacious, much more than expected, for just the basic room, the balcony and view was perfect, very large bathroom, the gas fireplace was a very pleasant touch, and I loved that they provided breakfast in the room! Such a small detail, but so nice to not have to get up and dressed and go out for breakfast or down to a lobby to elbow with strangers. And check out at noon was perfect to lounge and enjoy the room without being rushed. One of the best stays I've had anywhere, definitely highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and the view was great and didn't hear any noise from neighbors (f...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple