“Great Weekend getaway at the North Cliff”
Review of North Cliff Hotel

North Cliff Hotel
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Reviewed 16 August 2010

My husband and I recently visited Fort Bragg for a weekend getaway. After a lot of searching and comparing of hotels we decided on the North Cliff. It was so much better than we ever expected. Justin helped us when we checked in and was so great! Very friendly and helpful. He went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed for a pleasant weekend. Our room was on the second floor and had an amazing view of the ocean and the harbor. The room and bathroom were very spacious and very clean. We had a gas fireplace in our room that added a lot to the ambiance and actually heated up the room very well. You didn't even need the heater. They left a continental breakfast in the room every day. It was very plentiful with fruit, a croissant, a muffin, some cheese, chocolate and jam. They also give you 2 bottles of juice and 2 bottles of water complimentary. It was great. In most hotels you have to pay for anything extra you take. The balcony with chairs was just the right size and made for a great spot to sit and watch the sunset or enjoy breakfast.
The only negative thing I can possibly say is that the decor is a tiny bit outdated. New paint and new bedspreads would make a world of difference, but otherwise it was outstanding and we'll definitely stay at the North Cliff again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 August 2010

It could be because we weren't expecting much considering that it is way up north of SF. We already read that there's "nothing" in Fort Bragg but we stayed there so we could do day trips north and south of it. We did not have trouble finding the hotel and it was almost 12 midnight when we arrived. The office was closed but they left an envelope with the keycards on it on the door. So after an exhausting drive, we didn't have problems immediately going to our room which was on the 2nd floor. The room was big, and clean. Very nice view of the entrance to the harbor and the ocean. I would usually sit on the balcony early in the morning with my coffee and just watch the boats go by. Or just listen to the waves. It had been foggy when we were there but it usually started to clear up by mid morning. Foghorns didn't bother us at all. We had good nights sleep. The location is right by Highway 1. So it's accessible to where we want to go. We went to the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens, the Humboldt State Park, the beaches, quaint towns, highway 128 where vineyards, orchards and redwoods line the road, etc.

The free breakfast wasn't bad either. We reheated ours in the microwave at defrost for 3 minutes and it's warm. The bath products are by bath and bodyworks. Morning paper. To top it all off, it has a walk in shower which I always prefer than a bathtub/shower. Housekeeping was excellent and fast.

My only issue was they recommended the restaurant next door, cliff house. I would not recommend that. Overpriced and the salmon that my husband ordered was inedible. He didn't eat it and was not charged for it. The service was poor as well.

Also the parking at the hotel can be tight at times.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We booked here skeptically after reading some of the reviews. Our usual overnight hotel (Ocean View Lodge) only accepts 2 days minimum and we were in town just for the day. Our room at North Cliff exceeded our expectations. Upon check in, the staff was courteous and informed us of the complimentary items within the room and made recommendations for dinner. We were delighted to find that the room was clean, spacious, and the view from our balcony was breathtaking. Our jacuzzi sat right at the window overlooking the bay as well. Loved the in room Wi-Fi. The only downfall: their check in time is 4, which was a bummer for us because we drove 5 hours in traffic to get there. Furthermore, I was disappointed that it was NOT nearby the 17 mile trail as Ocean View Lodge sits directly upon it. I am however recommending this place to family and friends. No doubt, we will return here again.

1  Thank HopelessRomantic75
Reviewed 15 July 2010

It's a good thing that I checked out what this hotel looks like before the trip or we would have missed it. Not much in signage coming from the north.
Upon checking in I was afraid that this was a pretentious hotel that thought more of itself than it had to offer.Maybe it was the warning on the parking pass that alerted us to a $25 fee if the hang tag wasn't returned.
After lugging our suitcases three stories we opened our room to find dated furniture but an awesome view of the bay. (we opted for the king room without the hottub) Since I am such a princess, I was almost ready to turn around but noticed how clean everything was. 80's isn't so bad if it's clean and in good shape. I was especially impressed with the high end amenities and the cleanliness of the bathroom.
The continental breakfast is in the fridge and it's a good idea to get it out a little early. Maybe not 'that morning' fresh but they don't skimp on quality. High end jam, cheese and juices. I'm sure that they could do it much cheaper so the breakfast was nice.
So this place that offers a little extra, notes that there is a dollar charge for the in-room safe. Cummon guys, add it to the room rate or throw it in. It didn't work anyway and I had to take my belongings to dinner with me.
As for the sand pit, it seems to be local entertainment for the four wheelers with nothing to do. Not quite an eyesore and maybe a little entertainment for the guests that saw the white truck that barely avoided a roll over when getting stuck on the ridge.
All in all, I'd probably rate this place a five if it was updated (did I mention the VCR? I don't even know where you get tapes for a VCR any more) but four stars on the northern coast is a great find.

Reviewed 8 July 2010

Arrived on Monday for four night stay. Had a room on the third floor. Surprised to find out there are no elevators, Hauling luggage up three flights proved to be a chore! Room in good shape and clean. Daily room cleaning was good and continental breakfast was nice as well. View is spectacular looking out at Pacific ocean and Noyo river inlet. Fireplace was very nice and came in handy as dayhtime temps were around 60 degrees. Sofa and chair in good shape but very low to the floor not good for tall folks. Hotel in general needs a good wash job. The grasses growing in all the rain gutters looked a bit tacky but may have added a little charm. All in all a nice place.

Reviewed 8 July 2010

This place is way overpriced and way over rated. Still trying to figure out how this made the top 10 list of romatic hotels??? The view from our room totally sucked and the trees behind the hotel are way overgrown which block the ocean view. We stayed hear specifically to watch the fireworks from the comfort of our room, but the view was so obstructed that we could vaguely see the fireworks through the trees.

The breakfast was pretty sorry, not fresh at all, soggy fruit and day old pastries.

The room had a VCR!!! I didnt think you could still rent VHS tapes???

If you stay hear, go with very low expectations and you might not be dissapointed. Also insist on a room on the third floor on the south side of the hotel so you dont get a view of overgrown eucalyptus trees.

Reviewed 8 July 2010

We chose to stay here because we wanted to watch the fireworks from our room. Well, it was hard to see them due to the trees that were in the way. We were put in room 101 which was on the bottom floor on the right....the worst view of all the rooms. The carpet was stained, some of the furniture was chipped, and the curtain rod was rusted. For $270 a night for 3 adults I would have expected more. Online it said that there we iPod docking stations in all rooms....our did not have one. When we called the front desk we were told it was the only room that did not have one, it broke. Someone brought us one the next day, a day late. The breakfast is not that great, but the coffee was good.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family