“Should have been so much better”

Carine's Fish Grotto
Ranked #62 of 85 Restaurants in Fort Bragg
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Italian, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Lakeville, Minnesota
“Should have been so much better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I really wanted to like this place. It has so many things I like that it should have been easy, such as charm, very friendly staff, tradition, Italian and seafood, etc. Unfortunately, the food was overpriced and not particularly tasty. The bread was great and the chowder was good, but that is where it ended for me. I ordered the pasta bolognese, and it arrived luke warm. There was a ton of it, but it just didn't appeal to me. I really didn't like the red sauce at all. I had a meatball on the side, and didn't care for that either. How does a chef born in Italy make meatballs without any flavor? My wife had the cod, which was okay, but the fish was drowning in sauce and the potatoes that came with it were extremely bland. My son's crab sandwich, which he had to order after learning they didn't have any other crab options, was unappealing. We ended up sharing the pasta, although neither of us really liked it. Again, the people there are wonderful. It's a real family establishment, with Bessie having worked there since the 40s. I wish I could say more about it that is positive, but it just can't. It's too expensive to take the gamble. Go somewhere else.

paradise ca.
“Outstanding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Cash only but we knew that up front. One of the best places on the coast. We check it out in the afternoon and though that we would try it out that evening.Found that the service and food were outstanding.Could not have had a better meal.

• Visited April 2014
“Amazing & family friendly!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We came in late with a group of 9, we were warmly welcomed, and fed until we were ready to burst. Will continue to come here on future visits.

Sacramento, California, United States
“Quaint but good place to eat.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

We usually get the fish and chips here and always enjoy the atmosphere. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Will go here again

Visited June 2014
Gilsum, New Hampshire
“very overpriced, had to be begged to get served”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I were there on 6/8/14 in the afternoon. Only about 2 other tables full in there. We were escorted to our table by one of the owners sons. He took our drink orders. It actually took at least 15 mins to have our dinner order placed. The busboy (Marcus) had to remind the son to please take our order. My husband had the Fish stew at $35.00. I had pasta with sea food at $27.00 With this came either a salad or soup. We waited and waited. No one esle was in there.
My ice tea tasted like they dropped a cigarette in it. I did tell the busboy about it and his reply was " yeh, it's from the bottom of the pot" He did bring me a new one-not much better. The son brought out our food finally. When he put mine down he said "wow look at this." The seafood was hidden under the pasta. It also had unopened clams and some very rubbery squid.No one should have to pay for unopened clams. The sauce did not taste like anything. My husband did like his. (Cioppino)
We had to ask for the salad and soup that came with the meal. This was brought about 10min
after the main entree was brought out. Soup was cold. The busboy worked very hard to please us -no one esle did. When we paid which was $75.00 Appalling ! for this food. The older woman showed me a basket to put the tip in "for her boys" I did not leave a tip in the basket (not much of one) but left on on the table for the busboy She quizzed me about this. I told her it was to go to
Marcus. Never again.