“Motel 6 as a desination resort!”
Review of Motel 6 Fort Bragg

Motel 6 Fort Bragg
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We have been visiting the Mendocino/Fort Bragg coast for about 25 years now, and finding reasonable food and lodging can be a challenge there. This property used to be called "Tradewinds", and the attached restaurant still operates under that name. If you are looking for a romantic setting with sunset ocean views and all that, then this isn't your place. It is located on the inland side of Highway 1, the main street thru town, and directly accross from the abandoned Georgia-Pacific mill site. If you have a full day of activities planned (and there are many here), and just want a place to eat and sleep, this property offers a compelling value. The rooms are clean, the housekeeping staff is friendly and efficient, the location is good, there is plenty of off-street parking, pets are welcome, and the restaurant offers excellent food (and grog) at very reasonable prices. We have stayed at several different establishments over the years, and have made this one our first choice for travel to the Mendo Coast. We plan on visiting again soon, and would recommend it without qualification.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel has less traffic noise.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tangoflyer

Reviewed 20 August 2012

For the price, it was an adequate motel. The three bed suite was a nice option when traveling with teenagers. The back bedroom of the suite backed directly on the highway. It could be quite noisy in the mornings. As other travelers have mentioned, the hotel is undergoing a construction renovation. We stayed in one of the older rooms. The door entering into the room had a very wide gap. We had to plug it with towels to keep the air and sunlight out. It is a fair choice if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep and not spend a lot of time.

1  Thank scorpian31
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We were looking for something affordable but not cheap. This experience felt cheap. staff was friendly, and there was a pool - these were the only redeeming qualities in my book. The pool was maintained well and seemed cleaner than the room. Beds were ok but definitely needing replacement (could hear the springs squeeking and feel them bending when you sat down)
floors were filthy, as in soiled (First night there my 3 year old dumped sand from his shoe before we could catch him so we asked for a vaccum - no one at the front desk could get us access to housekeeping so we cleaned up as best we could by hand but next day when we returned the floor had still not been vaccumed after housekeeping had finished their day)
There was a refrigerator in the room but it did not work - so the food I put in it after turning it on spoiled by the time we got home that night. No coffee maker or alarm clock in the room, standard items usually, but there was a hairdryer.
Our second night we were just happy to have clean sheets to climb into we were so tired it didn't matter, unfortunately rest did not come because there had been a class reunion at the motel which finished up around 10pm but many of the guests were staying in the motel and they carried their party to a couple of the rooms. Didn't hear anything once they were inside their rooms, but periodically was jolted awake by loud intoxicated guests coming and going. Air conditioning/heating unit worked well, windows were single pain so you heard everything from outside as if it was in your room. Around 1am a very intoxicated party guest banged on our door and scared me to death - thinking they were going to just pass by and being still groggy I waited momentarily hoping, but they continued banging so I answered and informed them I had sleeping children and did not want them to be woken, making some unintelligeable comment about "why would I do that?" (speaking of herself it appeared) she then stepped toward me like she was going to enter the room so I quickly closed the door and locked it while telling her loudly I was going to call for help. She then proceeded to banter with here friend about what a /?!$* I was for not letting her get her &*%$!@? keys before getting into a vehicle and driving away. (I didn't see who was driving) By now my heart was racing and my husband was wide awake (fortunately the kids didn't seem disturbed at all surprisingly). We called the front desk to request assistance but no one answered, and within about 10 minutes they were gone, so we did not call the police.
I like to think that this was just one of those fluke stays where everything seems to go wrong, and the motel does seem to be attempting to improve the grounds and update the rooms. But if this is the kind of crowd that is drawn here, that will be bad for their business. I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Our room was one the "updated" rooms and I wouldn't recommend it if this is as good as...
1  Thank Jennifer G
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My family and I stayed at this motel and we found it to be clean and a great bargain. We stayed in a three bedroom suite and it was very nice with plenty of room. The staff and management were very professional and there was a good restaurant on the property. All attractions are close and we enjoyed our stay, we definitely would stay there again.

2  Thank Don H
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This motel was the nicest Motel 6 I have ever stayed at. Updated rooms and clean. The price was right for the night and it's close enough to walk to several places for food. If you don't mind a little more walking it's just outside of the shopping area for Fort Bragg.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Conook
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Check in was easy and pleasant. We were assigned room 229, which is right at the top of a flight of stairs. This is a mixed blessing because while it is easy to climb the steps and be right at the door to the room, we were also able to hear everyone else going up and down the stairs.

Speaking of hearing things, we could hear all the cars going by on the main road, the cars in the parking lot, and the people outside their rooms. To solve this issue, we kept the fan on the whole time we were there. It was nice and loud, great for covering all the outside sounds.

Something to note: After checking in, when we first got to our door I got the key card out to swipe it and noticed that the door was ajar. The swing-guard door lock was left in the doorway, keeping the door ajar. We thought that was strange, but once we were inside, we figured it must have been left that way in an attempt to air out the room. There was a strong smell of stale cigarettes (in our "non-smoking" room) and air freshener. We decided that wasn't enough to complain about, but I did call the front desk to report that the door was left open, just in case it wasn't the housekeeping staff who left it that way. The front desk clerk told me that it was probably left open by housekeeping to air out the room and that they must have forgotten to come back and shut it. Um, ok.

Moving on. All that aside, upon entering the room, our first thoughts were that it was not bad. It didn't look obviously dirty, and it felt roomy and comfortable. But after a closer look, things were not totally nice. Here is the scoop...

The room came with: 2 queen sized beds, a night stand, a phone,( free wifi), 2 arm chairs, a desk, an older TV on a shelf with drawers, a small closet, a microwave, mini fridge, a wall mounted hair dryer, sink, shower (no tub, just shower with shower curtain), ice bucket (which looked like the plastic insert that fits inside of the actual ice bucket),3 plastic-wrapped plastic cups, and two tiny bars of soap.

Here is what we DID like:
It was roomy enough for us to set up our pack n' play for our toddler, both of the beds were actually very comfortable, the mini fridge was one of the largest I've seen in a hotel room (complete with freezer box...AND it was actually really clean inside), there was always plenty of hot water in the shower and the water pressure was nice, the key cards were easy to use, the front desk staff were friendly, there is an indoor pool (which we did not use, but it looked very inviting), and the price for the room was the least expensive in all of Fort Bragg.

Here is what we DID NOT like:
The bed spreads looked dirty (we took them off), the chairs had stains on them - with one of the chairs having rips so deep on each end of the arm rests that we could see the frame of the chair, there was a large patch of lumpy spackle on the wall next to the towel rack by the sink, the paint on the counter by the sink was scratched up pretty bad, the top of the mini fridge had crumbs and dust all over it, there was some sort of muddy gunk on the bathroom floor, and the next morning, my three year old daughter began to wash herself with a tiny bottle of I-don't-know-what that she found on the shower floor. Speaking of shower, there was a lot of mold in the grout on the walls. I know it is hard to get rid of that stuff and that the hotel is old, but there was enough of it to gross me out. And finally, there did not seem to be enough parking spaces in the parking lot and the spaces seemed a little tight.

Over all, we felt that for the price and age of the hotel, it was not quiet "average", but not fully "terrible". The beds were indeed the highlight of the room...minus the dirty bedspreads. And to be fair, it may be that the other rooms at this hotel are nicer than the one we had.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank TeamTall
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I was very tired when we arrived and was given a room that smelled very strongly of cleaning fluid so asked Trent, the person on charge about it. He was happy to quickly move us to a very quiet and comfortable room. The accommodations were simple but had all we needed. It was quiet and the bed was very comfortable. It was a pleasant stay and served all my needs.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends