“Not the best” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 13 Fort Bragg B&B and Inns
Cramlington
“Not the best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Guy on check in was quite friendly and polite, but the place itself is tired, tired, tired! We spent a night here and the room was ok, but was in need of some TLC. The 14" CRT tv was tiny with poor reception and the window frames needed a lick of paint. The cat was spooky, meouwing at our door at midnight, sent shivers down my spine. Breakfast was tasty though, but maybe slow to come out

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ColandShaz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed there last minute as we were passing though the awfull place that is fort bragg, the hotel is a old hospital built 1919 with ghosts whom must have been cleaners the place needs a good scrub and some new bedding the room we were given smelt damp and the sheets and bedding had seen better days. No tv and bad sealing windows. The website boasts a good breakfast , the coffee was warm and not enough for all the guests the guy in the kitchen seemed harassed as the dining room was full 12 guests ooh , cooked breakfast was buffet style and it came out four portions at a time while you could feast on juice and fruit as you waited. The best part was when my key did not open the room door and I asked the guy at the desk , he said just wiggle it about . He had given me the wrong key. There is other people using this hotel / hostel that seem like they could be on benefits from govt. best part of the place is the cat sweet pea that claws at your door during the night and meows, oh and the wide doors so you can get out quick.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paxton7
Washougal, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We loved this place. I loved the history of it being a hospital before it was a B & B. The owner was very friendly, open and made wonderful breakfasts for us. We enjoyed the Skunk Train and the natural beauty and charm of the area. It wasn't cluttered with tourists traps in Ft Bragg like so many other areas.

Room Tip: This is very laid back. If you expect to get waited on hand and foot, or have a typical tourist trip...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

We were staying in a beautiful room, played pool and had an excellent breakfast! A bit pricy, but it is very much worth it!!! We were with four persons in a room, which was excellent, more then enough space! The hotel is a place full of memories. Cozy and a nice experience. I hope to go back here once again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Santa Rosa, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Grey Whale for 3 nights. We returned after having stayed here 20 years ago and remembering it fondly. When we arrived we noticed that the front of the Inn looked very different with an out-of-control, overgrown and rambling garden. Once inside, we saw no one, so had to ring the innkeeper who answered his phone and came to check us in. The ground floor was quite dark and gloomy looking, but we went upstairs to our Mendocino Coast room, and although the bedroom part was quite small, it was well decorated and had lots of light from the windows. Only after unpacking did we realize that there was hardly no place to put our clothing away. A large armoir had no pole to hang anything on, so only took up space and had one drawer to use, in back of a wing chair that had to be moved to find some space. A narrow makeshift closet had been cut into the wall with 6 hangers for our clothing. The TV was an antique 12 inch one with snowy reception, and we soon realized that the traffic noise from Hwy. 128 would not allow us to keep the windows open.
Subsequently, we realized that the innkeeper was also the cook at breakfast with no other help. Breakfast was basically good (granola with fruit, scrambled or poached eggs and a few potatoes), but he did not offer juice until we asked for it, had no sugar for coffee, and usually disappeared back into the kitchen without offering more coffee or any kind of baked goods.
Another issue was that the back door was left unlocked 2 of the 3 nights when we returned and there was no on on duty, so it felt eery being in that big building and feeling that it was largely empty, except for the house kitty!
The Grey Whale is an interesting, historic building, has many great antiques and artwork, and is basically clean, but we were anxious to leave after two nights. All in all, this B & B doesn't offerenogh charm or friendliness to justify the price of the rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

My mother and I stayed at the Grey Whale in early August on a trip from San Francisco to Eureka. It is a charming Inn with very quirky and interesting art decorating the hallways. The owner was extremely friendly, expecially when we arrived late on the first night of our stay. We had the Sunset room which had a great view of quirky Fort Bragg.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Naturally, I would give this hotel a 4-star review. The person behind the check-in counter was friendly, the breakfast was good, and the rooms were clean and spacious. Now, the reason why I’m giving this hotel a three star review doesn’t have to do with the quality of the inn. It has to do with my experience there, as well as my family’s.

I want you to know that what you read from now on are the occurrences perceived by my mind, as well as my brother’s and my mom’s. I like to think that my family and I are very rational people and we haven’t been able to explain these situations in any natural way.

I was an eleventh grader at the time, so I wasn’t too stoked when my dad told me that we were going to stay at a “classic” inn that was only a three-hour drive from home (we lived in the Bay Area). I’d much rather have been on Facebook in the comfort of my room, but I had no choice but to tag along. It was a gloomy winter afternoon. We pulled up into the vacant lot of the inn around 4:30PM and it was starting to get dark quickly. Ominous clouds started approaching from the coast and the pitter patter of rain was just beginning to hit the windshield. My parents unloaded the car as my twin brother (Ira) and I went to go explore the inn’s basement. I remember descending the stairs when I quickly got this odd chill throughout my body. The huge basement was stale, darkly lit, and empty except for a couple of old pool tables. We found a few balls and tried to play a game, but after five minutes, we both got a bit spooked when the rain began to hit the small windows outlining the perimeter. We scurried back up stairs to see if our parents needed any help.

Seeing as they were done unloading, we left to go eat dinner at a nearby restaurant. By this time, night had fallen and the rain had picked up even more. We ran to our car to avoid being drenched and drove off. Two hours later, we were back. I remember noticing how empty the inn looked from the outside. All the lights were off except for the lobby and one room on the first floor. My dad told me later that we were the only family there besides a young couple. We walked in the lobby to notice the person behind the counter had already gone home. It was around 7:30PM by then. Since we had nothing important left to do, my dad decided to take a tour of the nearly vacant inn. He took my brother and me along, jokingly scaring us about this monstrous inn. As we kept walking, I began to take closer looks at the old pictures on the wall. To my bewilderment, I realized that the inn was previously a hospital some many decades ago. No wonder why the rooms were so big and the doors so wide.

By then, I was getting a bit spooked about the entire situation. It was raining harder than ever and I just wanted to go back to our room and sleep. On the way back from the mini tour, my dad spotted a small collection of VHS movies in the lobby. “Why not,” I thought. My brother and I chose 20000 Leagues Under the Sea and hurried back to the room.

Halfway through the movie, I noticed that my brother and I were the only ones awake. By now it was nearing 10:00PM and both my parents were peacefully snoring away. That’s when things started to become a bit odd.
The TV set started to fade in and out of static. We would be watching the movie, and all of a sudden, it would turn to that salt-and-pepper static along with the horrible noise and then revert back to the movie. It worsened as the movie progressed. Ira and I couldn’t figure out if it had been the old videocassette or just a malfunction with the VCR, so we eventually gave up watching the rest of the movie. We turned off the TV set, and that’s when my brother first heard it.

“What’s that noise?” he asked. I looked at him in silence, and then I heard it too. Organs. Someone, or something, was playing the organs. The faint noise seemed to be emanating from the floor above us. “That’s strange,” I thought to myself, “we were just up there and it was empty.” What was also strange was that there were no musical instruments up there, just a vacant room.

“Screw that, I’m going to bed.” I quickly jumped into the bed, covered up my head with my blanket and dozed off.

As nervous as I was that night, I was surprised that I had a solid sleep. The bed was comfortable to say the least. When I was just beginning to think that all the strange phenomena was just some weird natural occurrence, the next morning, my mom asked a question made the hair on the back of my neck stand.

“Hey boys,” she said, “was one of you standing next to me for some reason last night?”

“What do you mean Mom?” I asked.

“Well I woke up during the night and felt someone standing right next to the edge of my bed. It didn't really move, but I could feel that it was looming over me. I didn’t want to look at who or what it was at the moment because I didn’t want to know. Are you sure it wasn’t you guys?”

When we told her no, she became a bit frightened. It couldn’t have been my dad, she said, he was on the couch snoring loudly. Apparently, my mom had woken up because she felt a slight disturbance. As she lay there trying to fall back asleep, the figure apparently just stood there and my mom felt as if it had been glaring at her from behind.

My dad overheard the incident and laughed. He didn’t believe in a single word. By then, my brother and I wanted the hell out. We asked if we could cut it a day short and leave that morning, but my dad was reluctant.

“Give it a few more hours, okay?” he reasoned.

We went to go eat our breakfast at the petite kitchen next to the lobby. The food was well prepared by a single chef. After we were done, we returned to the room. Ira went to the bathroom, only to come out a few minutes later with a surprised look on his face.

“I felt something caress my butt when I was in there,” he said.

My mom laughed. “What are you talking about?”

“Well I was almost done using the bathroom and was about to flush the toilet when I felt this gentle pat on my butt. I turned around to see what had caused it, but there was only a chair facing me on the opposite corner.”

That seemed to be the last straw. The majority of my family had had enough. What was initially supposed to be a two-night stay was deliberately cut short. We packed up all our belongings and left that day at noon.

To this day, we still don’t know if the place is actually haunted or not, but our experiences there are all true. I found out a few weeks later that this inn is supposedly haunted. I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced anything weird there.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family