“Very dissapointing.....”

Ranked #8 of 12 Fort Bragg B&B and Inns
San Jose, California
“Very dissapointing.....”
Reviewed 28 August 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in mid-August. We were very disappointed. Upon arrival, we found the outside of the "inn" extremely unkept... plants totally overgrown, weeds everywhere. We'd traveled all day, we were exausted,so decided to go inside and give it a try. Huge mistake. Our disappointment continued. The room was VERY overpriced, no heating in the rooms and the windows are very drafty and don't close all the way. The carpets are old and smell awful and the paint around the windows is old and peeling. The owner was very unfriendly and not helpful at all. We had a tiny television (maybe 12 inches) in the room and got very fuzzy, static reception. The breakfast was basically cold granola, fruit and toast. There were a few poached eggs and juice, but you served yourself and catered your own table. Although the "staff" (husband and wife) came in several times, no one spoke. I would never stay here again and would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank philtim7881

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 24 July 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the "Grey Whale". Our room was quiet, comfortable and spacious! The Inn has so much character! Sweet Pea, the resident feline, kept us company in the evening while playing pool and relaxing in our room. We cannot wait to visit again soon. We loved being within walking distance to Glass Beach. the shops, restaurants etc.
The "Grey Whale Innkeeper" was very gracious!

• Stayed June 2010
Sonora, California
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I've been to Fort Bragg before and love the town, but this was the first time I've stayed at the Grey Whale. What a very cool place it is!! Its history as a former hospital gives it a lot of character. It was a quiet night and we were the only guests, so we kind of toured the place informally and looked into some of the vacant rooms. All of them were very spacious and had their own individual personalities. The innkeeper, Michael, was extremely considerate and accommodating and made us one of the best breakfasts I've ever had at a B&B. Simple and delicious, flavored with herbs fresh from the garden. I'll definitely stay there on my next Fort Bragg trip and will recommend the place to all of my friends for their next coastal vacation!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Clayton, California
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I drove through town trying to decide where to stay, it is warm weekend and palces were pretty full and pricey. I stumble onto this driving by, not much to look at from outside but walking distance to town shops/restaurants, so stopped on side of road and called, What a delightful Innkeeper, said he had just the rooom for me /with private bath, at reasonalbe price (less than $100) on Sat evening and include sbreakfast. They have common rooms to sit and read or relax It was so nice, clean and awesome atmosphere and the others there were a delight and longtime return guest. I WILL BE NOW TOO.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Arcata, California
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Many years ago, my parents and I drove past the Grey Whale Inn. After learning its history (it opened as a hospital in 1915) I longed to stay there. My husband and I recently fulfilled my dream.
We stayed in the huge Railway Room and enjoyed the spaciousness and amenities (gas fireplace and kitchenette). What an excellent value!
The ocean and the endless, wildflower-studded moors are a short walk away. The flower filled garden provided a sweet space for relaxation. The whispering cypress and the flower scented air almost blocked out Highway 1. I felt transported back in time.

• Stayed June 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2010

My wife and I along with our Son and Grandson stayed at the Grey Whale Inn; it was a great place with rooms so large filled with old memorabilia. The beds were first class, and every floor had a library of interesting books to borrow and read. The owner was a great guy and it was really peaceful. I have stayed in hotels all over the world, and this is the most unique one I have ever stayed at. I plan to go back again when I visit from Australia. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a hotel with real character, and great facilities.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
west tisbury
Reviewed 3 May 2010

What can I say??? I love this place, I love Mike the owner, I loved my ocean view from my room, I loved the fact that the Inn felt like a home away from home. I lived at the Grey whale Innn for one month whie I was a student at Living light . The weeks I spent at the Grey whale were unforgettable. I loved the community of wonderful , generous open minded people that chose to live there and visit as well. I loved Mike's sweet nature, and giving personality.He was always around to help, share and just chat with. He even lent me his mountain bike whenever I felt like usung it.
The place is funky and you haveto be the type of person who acknowledges the beauty in the odd and eccentric features of this place.I loved it! All the rooms and I think I saw every one of them have their own character, with endearing and special details. I was in the room where the babies were born ( it was an old hospital) and loved the comforting and peaceful energy. The place was so welcoming, my favorite aspect was picking and eating things straight out of his organic garden. I was always excited as I approached the Inn and instantly felt relaxed as soon as I entered the property with the lush, wild garden you can't help but notice from streets away. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to have a relaxing vacation, who does not need the luxuries of a fancy up skill hotel. I would definietly strongly suggest that anyone who is planning to be a student at the Living lIght insitute to go to Choose the Grey whale for thier lving accomadations. I look forward to my return to see Mike again and to stay at a place where I have very fond a heartwarming memories.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo