“Big let down after earlier fine stay”
Review of Beach House Inn

Beach House Inn
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Reviewed 15 April 2007

We wrote an earlier review a few years ago when the hotel was under different management and all was fine and a good value. Last November we rented 3 rooms for family and friends. We asked for a no pet room and no smoking. There were dogs everywhere as other guests seemed to have dogs. We are not dog/cat people. We did not like having to be on guard all the time for the dogs.
The room key was an issue. We requested two keys and were given one. A few hours later I was locked out while my wife was inside. I yelled and pounded on the door and she could not hear me. I asked the manager again for a second key and he would not give me one. He walked me back to the room and let me in. Again, I insisted we must have a second key. Finally on the second day in the afternoon after many requests he gave me a second room key. He acted as if this was some sort of favor to me not just part good service. He said he could make the new key himself so I don't see why the day's delay.
Our rooms faced highway so we could not sit outside and enjoy the quiet as there was none. Darn...

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank scienceguy2001
onepony, Manager at Beach House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2007

Dear Un-Happy guest,

I am sorry we did not have 2 keys for you when you checked in. People do take them and although I can make them on site it is not done in the office so when I have no other person to watch the front desk I do have to make them when I have coverage. When a guest wants 2 keys and only 1 is available I always tell the guest when the 2nd key will be available and that if they get locked out to let me know and I would let them in. I remember telling you the key would be ready either that night or the next morning about 9am and that I would let you in your room if you got locked out. I had the key ready the next morning and sitting in your inbox. You guys drove off for the day returning in the afternoon came in and I gave you the key...... You did not come to the office when you were locked out so I wasn't able to let you in. Next, we are ½ pet friendly. When your reservation was made you did ask for non smoking (we are %100 non-smoking) but did not mention no pets. If you would have we would have placed you in a non pet room at the time of the reservation as all rooms are pre-assigned at the time the reservation is made. In closing I hope readers of your review will still come and enjoy our beautiful hotel (ranked #1 till YOUR review :) )

Reviewed 17 December 2006

I grew up in Fort Bragg. 30 members of my family gathered for my fathers 87 birthday celebration. A brother and I and our wives booked two rooms at the Beach House Inn. The rooms were wonderfully quiet and the view beats any ocean view in my opinion. Our rooms overlooked the Pudding Creek dam and estuary. The numerous waterfowl activity beat any T.V. or book reading entertainment. I would highly recommend this west coast New England Experience to anyone visiting Fort Bragg.
James & Cathy Bainbridge jbainbridge@charter.net

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank CalifNative
Reviewed 5 November 2006

We stayed at the Beach House Hotel for my boyfriends birthday. The hotels was clean and I really liked that the entrance to the rooms were located inside a main gathering hallway for about five rooms. The balcony was nice and over looked the Creek, but there is no real acrtion on that creek besides a damn. It is walking distance to the ocean across the highway. The tub for two was huge but it was just a saoking tub no jets.
The staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2004, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TracyYoung
Reviewed 7 October 2006

OK, after being frightened away by the mere look of the Coast Motel further down the road (think Bates Motel...so we did NOT stay there), we ended up at this one, on the north end of town. What can I say...they had a "Pets Welcome" and "free WiFi" sign up in the window that faces the street. Anyway, it's nicer than you'd think. For $137 we had a rood with a balcony that faced the estuary, a big spa tub and one of those gas fireplaces that flipped on with the touch of a switch. Everything in the rood worked, and for a dog-friendly room, it was pretty good (they can be gross). There was a cigarette burn in one of the upholstered chairs (must have been a smoking dog), but the room smelled kinda fruity and someone had spent alot of time and cleaning products to ensure that there was no tell-tale doggy smell/hair/evidence of pets (note: not all rooms allow pets). There was some traffic noise during the day, but at night all was pretty quiet. We slept well in our king bed and would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wondermatic
Reviewed 6 October 2006

This was a great hotel to stay at in fort bragg. It is a great location, as it is just at the end of town so it quiet but still a very quick drive or walk to town. The balcony was a wonderful place to sit and relax while overlooking the beautiful estuary. I definitley reccomend the rooms with the in room hot tub. The price was great too, especially for how big and comfortable the room was.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank algaegirl
Reviewed 1 September 2006

I called the Beach House Inn on the morning of Aug. 31, 2006 to book a room for four nights in late Oct. and the guy on the other end told me he would check. I guess he thought he put me on hold, but he didn't. I heard him answer several other calls that came in on another phone and then one that was from what must have been a friend of his. I sat there for several minutes listening to him talk about things and say "bummer" over and over. Finally he came back and said that he was sorry, but there had been several calls. I said 'yeah, and one was a personal call', then I hung up. Then about 7:30 that evening I had a chance to call back to speak to the manager or the owner. Guess who I got; right, the same guy. After I told him that I was the one who had called this morning and I had to wait while he talked. He said, "you had to wait for about a minute, so what's the problem". I said, "no, for several minutes'. Then he said to me " where you drunk and are you still drinking". I said, " is this the way you treat a customer" and then I quoted back to him some of the thinks I heard him say over the phone. At that, he hung up on me! So, if you want to be treated badly call this motel or even worse stay there!

Stayed: August 2006
4  Thank Really_Ticked
onepony, Manager at Beach House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2006

Dear review writer,

Some of what you say in your review is true but here is how I remember it:

You called like you said to check on making a reservation. As I was speaking to you my other phone rang, I asked you to hold and put down the phone (It's an auxiliary hand set with no hold function). I answered the callers question (approx. 20 seconds) and picked up the phone apologizing for putting you on hold. My other phone rang again and once again I asked you to hold and picked it up. It was a friend of mine who quickly told me her dog had died. I said "what a bummer" and told her that I would call her back (approx 40 seconds). I picked up the phone with you on it and once again apologized for the inconvenience. You said something to the effect of "well I guess personal calls are more important than your business" and you hung up! Later that night I answered the phone and it was you. You asked for the manager I said "I'm he how may I help you" and you said I was the same guy who rudely put you on hold for "several" minutes this morning for personal calls and started lecturing me. I remembered you, asked If you were drinking and hung up the phone.

So in conclusion you called to make a reservation were put on hold for 1 minute causing you to hang up and called to complain later. Then you write a vindictive review about my hotel telling people not to stay here and lowering my properties rating status even though you have never been here.
You even seemed upset I used the word "bummer" (allot of people use that word -its not a cuss word). I can only say I am sorry that you will not be staying at the Beach House Inn as I am sure you would have enjoyed your stay.

Charles Brandenburg
the Beach House Inn
Fort Bragg, CA

Reviewed 26 July 2006

I have stayed here at least three times in the last two years or so. I like going to fort bragg to cool off from the inland summer temperatures. Once we just walked in and got a room but by the end of the day the place was full. I like the balcony but in the summer the smell from the garbage dump bothers my husband. It must be nearby. No one ever mentioned this. The rooms are noisy when some one else is next door. We usually go during the week when it is less crowded than on weekends. Fort Bragg is a funky town past its heyday but good for a day of shop browsing. The Headlands always has live music and good food. The beach isn't that bad and the cemetery is interesting. The soaking tubs in the beach house are nice too. something different. I would recommend it as most of the places in Fort Bragg particularly on South Main are stinky and have no view. I agee about the continental breakfast. In fact, I think they dropped that last time I was there. If you are a light sleeper bring ear plugs as motels are always noisy. I plan on going back in Aug. 06. to see if anything has changed.

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled as a couple