“Formerly Quality Inn”

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Los Angeles, California
“Formerly Quality Inn”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I see on TripAdvisor that this used to be a Quality Inn, and that makes a lot of sense to me. Judging the structure and rooms alone, without factoring in the location, I would say that it's just another motel (with whirlpools in some rooms). I don't know whether any of the interiors were updated or not, but it doesn't feel so. Nothing feels dirty or disgusting. Everything feels just pretty standard motel. We were looking for a cheap room to enjoy the town for a few days, but there was nothing but a King size whirlpool room with an ocean view. I'm not sure, but I think every room here might have an ocean view. They all seem to face the ocean and have either decks (2nd floor) or patios (1st floor). The nightly rate was $200, which was a bit high for me. Sometimes I will pay that much when I really think the room merits it. In this case, and in my view, this room would have been better valued at around $150. I believe this was one of the better rooms on offer, but I have to compare to other places I've stayed that charged this rate. We did receive a multiple-night stay discount, which saved me $50 on the total. The room was quite spacious, and we did make use of the whirlpool bath, which was very nice. There was a large stain on the carpet at the foot of the bed. Ultimately, the rate was determined by the ocean view, which is of course beautiful, and which we enjoyed very much. The room got quite hot during the day, as it gets a lot of direct sunlight. When we would return in the late afternoon, we would open the deck door and the front door to get a good cross-breeze blowing to cool things down. I never found an AC in the room. But at night, I would leave the deck door cracked open (with the provided door stop) which would bring a cool breeze in along with the sound of crashing waves (a plus for me).
In short, you could do a lot worse. There's a nice paved beach trail directly outside, which is great for a morning or evening beach stroll. But if you are going to spend a lot of money anyway, you may want to check on other beachfront hotels in the area first, to compare. Might as well be a smart shopper. But if you end up here, you shouldn't be unhappy.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have ocean views? But upstairs decks seem like a nicer option than patios, if you...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank subaquatic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Northern California
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My husband and I just LOVE staying at this hotel! The Ocean View Lodge is our favorite place to stay in the Ft.Bragg/Mendocino coast area. My knees are the only thing that doesn't like the hotel, the best rooms & views are upstairs and there is no elevator available. (The view & amenities of the downstairs rooms just aren't the same). We recently decided to try staying somewhere else without stairs & really, I wished I would've just sucked it up & stayed at Ocean View Lodge. We've stayed here about 4-5 times in the past and have never been disappointed. Our favorite part is that you get the ocean view & the sounds of the waves from just about anywhere in the room. I love how you can hear & see the waves from the king size bed, as well as the jacuzzi tub, plus of course the outside deck area. We love to be able to turn on the gas fireplace by the flip of a switch & leave the fireplace going with the patio door open so we can hear the waves all night long. More spacious than most other rooms, always very clean, comfortable bed & nice basic amenities, small fridge, coffee maker, etc. They don't serve any type of breakfast but there are plenty of places nearby to go & Egg Heads on Main Street is a MUST!!! Personally, I enjoy bringing my own breakfast & cappuccino mix & enjoying them on the deck overlooking the water at my own leisure. There's usually a good bit of foot traffic & bicyclers along the path below but nothing that has ever been all that bothersome. The staff has always been pleasant & we have never had a bad experience here. The only bad part is when the trip is over & it's time to go back home to reality.
Note to management: please, please, please oh please consider putting in an elevator for those of us who don't want to give up the spectacular view but have knees & disabilities that prevent us from accessing a flight of stairs! :)

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms have the best views & amenities
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I should have done this last year. The Ocean View Lodge sits on a bluff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Every main room and balcony has a great view of the ocean. Its a little bit of a trek through the tall grass and down the cliff to the beach (100 feet or so) but its worth it. The front desk people are friendly and helpful and the rooms are warm and clean. My wife and I were really able to relax there. If we make it back (which I hope we do), we will definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Just ask -- they are all good rooms.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aviv52
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The hotel is right on the ocean with a great view and a deck! It was clean, quiet, and comfortable. The rooms are very large. You easily could stay a week and enjoy a great rest. Jack and Terry are very nice and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Clovis, California
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Great view, great location, great for hikers or joggers. Room is very large, sleeps 4 very comfortably, beds are great. Couldn't ask for a better place to stay in Fort Bragg.

Watched the sun set from our balcony, went for walks on the beach... just great.

Room Tip: I believe all rooms face the ocean. No noise to speak of on bottom floor. Great for families.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Nancy K
Ukiah, California
Reviewed 19 February 2012

We stayed in the spa suite and thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautiful view of the ocean from the window and the little deck. Nice spacious room with very comfortable bed. A great value compared to other places on the coast. I would stay there again for sure!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank maryjean1214
Eureka, California
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We have stayed at the Ocean View many times.We stayed here in the 1980s before its namesake motel (really an old style auto court) was replaced with the current multilevel buildings.
The price is right; the rooms are clean and there is almost no night noise.

But come for the view. It is spectacular any time of the year, although Ft. Bragg can be foggy at times. You can reach the beach easily, or just stand on the bluff and enjoy the view. The view from the rooms with a glass of wine in hand is also a treat.

Room Tip: We like the upper level as you get a grander view, but not by much.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family