“Not family friendly for family of 5”
Review of Ocean View Lodge

Ocean View Lodge
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Fort Bragg
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I called the hotel to reserve a room/s for my husband and I and our 3 children. I was told that the maximum occupancy for each room was 4. I enquired about 2 rooms but was told that each room had to have an adult over the age of 18 staying in it. While the person answering the phone was polite and helpful, I got the strong impression that families weren't encouraged to stay at the hotel ,especially if you have more than 2 children. Fortunately I was able to make a reservation at the Surf and Sand Lodge and the were more than happy to help me out with accommodations for my family of 5.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank JLB678

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We were traveling as a group of 7 (4 adults/3 kids), and had 2 rooms (one double Queen/1 King)...we got a better price by calling the Ocean View Lodge (saved about $30/room versus Hotwire & other sites). We were on the ground floor & cannot complain about our views...truly 180 degrees! I imagine the 2nd floor rooms have even better views. The rooms were VERY CLEAN, which is a big deal for us! I would give it a 5 rating if they served any breakfast, but the staff gave us great recommendations for dining that was close. The décor is a bit outdated...but again very clean. The heater is a bit temper-mental, but it did the job. The Sea Glass Beach is quite close & worth the 5 minute car ride down there...and the beach outside the hotel is great as well. Our room key stopped working & they fixed it right away. The staff were very friendly & helpful with all sorts of recommendations for our visit to the area...well worth our trip North while visiting California. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: I would say the 2nd floor would have even better views...but from our experience, the ground floor h...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank _Jana-_CO1
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The view was great. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and big very nice. Was able to leave the patio door open all night and the fireplace kept the room cozy. so you could hear the ocean all night. I would recommend this to anyone but for privacy get an upstairs room.

Room Tip: " Get a room on the 2nd floor"
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

The lodge has marvelous views of the ocean but that is the only pro! The room smelled musty - the decor and red rug outdated - there was NO breakfast (not even coffee in check in area) - and no privacy on first floor terrace as it was on a bike/ walking trail. Perhaps the second floor rooms are better. .. but then you have to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs :-(

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank FLStarfish
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We spent two nights at this hotel and loved it. The ocean view was spectacular. The room was comfortable and clean and the king bed was comfortable. The staff was helpful and very nice. The heating system was a little quirky but worked. All in all in was a very nice room.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel. The first time, my husband and I booked a room with a Jacuzzi tub - awesome! This time I was working in the area on business, and although the cost of the room was somewhat higher than my room allowance, I was happy to pay the difference. The weather was perfect, the 180 degree view is outstanding. There are chairs on the balcony, and a table in chairs in the room, right in front of the window. It's a perfect little spot to eat breakfast or dinner. I could see whales spouting and breaching straight out from my room. The trails are perfect for an evening walk. And, of course, there's the fireplace to warm up with before bed and in the morning. Yes, the rooms are a little dated; however, the rooms are clean and the mattresses are comfortable. The staff was very friendly. I will absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: As long as you can hike your bags up the stairs, I would opt for the 2nd floor rooms. At a minimum...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BeernutinCA
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We return to The Ocean View Lodge every year, and are never disappointed. Staff are helpful and kind. Rooms are spacious, quiet and immaculately clean. The180-degree ocean views and a walking path directly to the beach are two things we count on and look forward to. Our preference is staying upstairs for the unobstructed view of the Pacific and no foot traffic from the bike and walking path that is just outside the 1st floor back porches. That the hotel is on the northern end of town is a plus; it's peaceful, away from downtown, but close enough to hit the wonderful shops and restaurants in a matter of a few minutes. The property itself is clean and well-maintained, and there are several nearby attractions not to be missed.

Room Tip: Rooms at the north end of the property are quieter and not affected by the ambient light of the prop...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple